several questions...

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
04/10/2004 4:10 am
Okay,

my theory is rusty. Need some lessons. Got down augmented & diminished when it comes to modes. How about chords?

Augmented/Diminished chords:

Anyone wanna post some augmented/diminished chord templates? and explain what makes them augmented or diminished?

Economy picking:

Can anyone post a tablature demonstrating economy picking across the span of 6 strings (like a scale)? I've never really tried it.

and finally....I need a lesson on timing. I learnt theory back in highschool band...and forgot everything. I want to learn timing in relation to beats. So, for example, what would quarter notes be at 200 bpm? Should one beat contain 4 quarter notes? I'm lost..
# 1
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
04/12/2004 12:01 am
Don't all answer at once. :rolleyes:
# 2
basics
basics
04/12/2004 3:44 am
Yeah I've had that problem in the past too. I'd answer except I know little of the three issues you've adverted to.

Except for the augmented and diminished question. It's a matter of raising and lowering key notes in a chord, such as the fifth, to my knowledge. There's different type of dim and augs, such as half dim and augs but beyond that it's up to another to further elucidate.

Oh and your bpm question... depends on the signature I'd imagine. In a 4/4 signature, the bottom 4 means that a quarternote gets a beat. I think. Four notes per measure and each beat is a quarternote. So in 4/4 at 200bpm, there would be 200 quarternotes, right?

A 5/16 signature would be 5 notes per measure, and a sixteenth note would get the beat. That'd be insanely cool.

Again, somebody'll have to double check this.
# 3
beginner
beginner
04/12/2004 4:53 pm
Originally posted by finger_cruncher
Don't all answer at once. :rolleyes:

You should ask these questions in the theory section. I´m sure you´ll get your answers there.
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/12/2004 6:14 pm
Dim & Aug chords :

Like majors and minors , they consist of three notes from a particular scale , 1st , 3rd & 5th .... You can look at them as two notational intervals (between 1st & 3rd , and between 3rd and 5th) ... Here are the formulas :

Major : Maj 3rd + Min 3rd .... Example : C E G
Minor : Min 3rd + Maj 3rd .... Example : C Eb G
Dim : Min 3rd + Min 3rd .... Example : C Eb Gb
Aug : Maj 3rd + Maj rd .... Example : C E# G#

(I wrote E# instead of F , because F would be the 4th, not the 3rd ... Nevermind anyway)

Maj 3rd = 4 frets , 2 whole steps
Min 3rd = 3 frets , 1.5 step

Here are examples for Aug and Dim chords :

Dim : Edim[x753xx] , Edim [xxx986] (the infamous malmsteen's diminished sweep pattern!)

Aug : Eaug[x765xx]

Economy picking:

It doesn't need any tabs or stuff to demonstrate , I'm sure you've got a plenty of tabs for scales and modes written in 3 notes per string patterns ... All you you have to do is to start each string with a downstroke for ascending and up stroke for descending.
It would look like this :
D U D D U D D U D D U D etc. For ascending
U D U U D U U D U U D U etc. For descending

Personally , I found that strict alternate picking throughout is much practical for me ... You should decide which's better for you.

Hope that helped.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.