make it die

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/23/2004 2:40 am
Well this thread is related to the thread I hate... "practice.'' Do any of you ever have problems with not having enough time to practice guitar. I'm having that lately, and I get so fidgety its driving me mad. I'm suffering from withdraw. Just thought I'd share my frustrations.

# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/23/2004 3:54 am
I don't have that problem because I prioritize. Guitar comes before school, work, and family.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Digit
Digit
03/23/2004 4:19 am
I get the same way... major anxiety, uncomfortable uptight feeling. I wonder what the hell's going on and then realize I haven't played in 3 days.
Cranking the amp and going nuts for an hour is kinda like taking a valium :)
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/23/2004 7:58 am
ummm.. to express your feelings in a posting.. is it realy necessary to use lots of swear words.. even if they are blanked out ?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Death55
Death55
03/23/2004 9:53 am
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson
I don't have that problem because I prioritize. Guitar comes before school, work, and family.

Thats what i do. My parents are like "have you got homework" and i just say no and start playing guitar even if i have got homework :p
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 5
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
03/23/2004 12:35 pm
Originally posted by basics
what you ****ers need is an equilibriam. a point in time and space where you feel, benificial to practice your art. **** am i ever drunk. you people need alone time to perfect what you feel is importanant. **** the world, only what you feel is what your own. i hate money. religion. family, government, intelligence, ingetration, socialization, virginity, alcohol, freedom and such. good luck you poor bastards wihtouth rich parents.

Wow...That's what I call a positive disposition
just don't kill yourself, alright?
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 6
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
03/23/2004 12:37 pm
Otherwise I also share the common discomfort when there is not enough time for me to practice and there are no conditions to isolate myself for several hours and compose and record some stuff.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 7
basics
basics
03/23/2004 5:31 pm
So sorry about that reply. Last time I come on here in that condition. Pretty embarassing.
# 8
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
03/23/2004 9:06 pm
Im sure it could have been worse...
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/24/2004 2:00 am
Yeah, he could have not had a headache the next morning. Thank god he did. That'll teach ya...ya bastard.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
b_hoves
b_hoves
03/24/2004 2:25 am
Back to the practice issue.

When I was big into playing bass I used to practice heaps, then the school sent us on a camp. During this time I had some major withdraws, by the end of camp (4 days) my left hand (fretting hand) was shaking and I couldn’t get it to stop, my friends started to joke around and said that I was on drugs and having withdraws form that.

But i'm coming into the stage of life where I’m balancing college, social life, guitar/music, family, work and project cars.
It is becoming harder and harder to do all the things I want, thus my practice time is growing less and less.
# 11
Inisfail
Inisfail
03/24/2004 8:29 am
Well, I guess I join the Guitar-goes-before-school-family-girlfriend-toilett-etc.

I saw Magnus Rosén, an unbelievable bassplayer who had a little talk about being a pro, playing in bands etc. and he told us that he one day told himself (long before his playing had earned him his first coin):

"I'm a bassguitar player. That means that I will make some sacrifices. Such as a good education etc. But I will have time for my playing and practice, because that what's makes me feel good. And that's what's really important in life"

5 min after I heard that, I told myself almost the same. I may not be famous nor rich, but I will be able to do what I want to. I don't think it's possible to mix a university examination, family. job AND several hours of playing.

Perhaps that isn't what you want. A lot of is satisfied only playing perhaps some hours a week, and enjoy study etc. And that's good for them.

Perhaps even will even I one day find out that I will do something else in my life than just playing a lot guitar and work on a low payed storagework, packing parcels. And that day I may start study again, or maybe I will start go to church (God forbids:mad: )
or something else..
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 12
basics
basics
03/24/2004 12:43 pm
Originally posted by Inisfail
"I'm a bassguitar player. That means that I will make some sacrifices. Such as a good education etc. But I will have time for my playing and practice, because that what's makes me feel good. And that's what's really important in life"

That's an excellent quote. All my life I've been forced down a certain path, education-wise, by my teacher and lawyer parents other than where my main passion lie, music. Been going on a long time, power struggle for my future. Initially they got me on music, both being musicians themselves but when I hit the guitar and Hendrix there goes the support. 11 years later, same issues going on, leading a double life kind of thing. Just yesterday in fact, after I woke up from a huge drinking binge and wrote them an email saying I'm dropping out of comp. science, going to work for the summer and take music next fall. 24 and still in school fighting these battles, seems lame but then the forces that control you often can't be shaken easily, in my experience. And I did. Yesterday I dropped out of school, finally, to take up something of my own, my own beliefs and something that I've been working on since I've hit puberty. In reality, all this wasted education doesn't really matter, as I was practicing all this time.
# 13
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
03/24/2004 9:33 pm
I think you should have told them to mind their own f'ing business 6 years ago. It's your life, no one can force you to do anything.

- J
# 14
basics
basics
03/24/2004 10:25 pm
Anybody can force you to do something, just watch a commercial. We'll all analyze this to crap but such is life. Tomorrow night I'm going to spend a month and a half in the hottest girls house. Then I move away. I don't expect to come on here much often because i'm going to be tied up. haha.
# 15
Inisfail
Inisfail
03/25/2004 4:56 pm
Go fot it basics!!

That's some of the damn coolest things I've heard anyone done for years! Acctaully, I'm almost in the same position right now:

I'm going in school, officially, but I'm almost never there. I only go to the school every morning, hanging around with friends for some hours. Then I'm going home, telling my parents that we ended up a little earlier that day and rest of the day is spended with my beloved guitar. The schoolprinciple is trying to get me out all the time, but I found out that swedish law doesn't accept that students are thrown out, unless they are a threat to other students or doing nazi-signs and such ****.

So, I'm in some kind of sick middle land where I'm in school for the sake of my parents, but I'm not there.
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 16
basics
basics
03/27/2004 12:51 pm
Yeah man, I know what you mean. I went through the same stuff. Good luck on what you end up deciding on doing.
# 17
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/27/2004 7:00 pm
Wait a minute, basics, I think you might be someone I may know. Is your name Devon? And is your girlfriend's name Lauren?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 18
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/28/2004 2:27 am
Meeting people you know or know of irl randomly on the internet is always interesting. It happened to me once, I grew up in a town of about 10,000, went to school with this one girl for six years without ever talking to her, and then one day I was talking to someone online and it turned out to be her. Crazy stuff. It's quite a coincidence even finding someone in the same part of the state as me, meeting and talking with someone and then finding out they were someone I graduated with is just messed up.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 19
b_hoves
b_hoves
03/29/2004 1:49 am
Meeting people you know or know of irl randomly on the internet is always interesting. It happened to me once, I grew up in a town of about 10,000, went to school with this one girl for six years without ever talking to her, and then one day I was talking to someone online and it turned out to be her. Crazy stuff. It's quite a coincidence even finding someone in the same part of the state as me, meeting and talking with someone and then finding out they were someone I graduated with is just messed up.

i don't see how this can happen, if a group of people are doing something together for six years, you think you would get to know them at lest a little. By the time I finished school there were no groups, like jocks, or nerds, everyone knew each other. This doesn’t mean there weren’t people who hated each other, but that didn’t stop us from getting to know everyone.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.