Please Please Please someone help me find a good tube combo for metal!!

TheTrooper
TheTrooper
03/03/2004 1:06 am
The Peavey 5150 combo is a little highpriced but It seems like a lot of people use them, but they use head versions and I cant play one because guitarcenter doesn't carry them. I want to be able to jam in my room though to. Im curious about trayner amps there is a tube combo on musicians friend and also the peavy xxx 40 watt combo. I want tight, articulate distortion, but I want bassey heavy sounding rythem <-- spelled wrong. I want my leads to sound warm and smooth I dont know if that makes sense I want it to fill the room with thick sound, and I want a good eq with enoguh gain for children of bodom and In flames type stuff. Overall I want a sick lead channel that sounds warm and thick. Please help me I want to keep it under like 950 dollars. Does anyone know anything about the trayner amps or the 5150 combo???
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/03/2004 1:13 am
Probably your best bet would be to see what's available used.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
03/03/2004 5:19 am
I used to own a 5150, got a great deal on it from a friend.

It was an alright amp. Nothing special.

But I would take a serious look at the Line 6 Spider II. It's not a tube amp, it's solid state, but it's a 2x12 combo at 150 watts (more than you'll ever need).

I'm going to get one soon. It has amp models for all different kinds of sounds and you can get one for $499.

Check out the video about it here: www.line6.com

www.americanmusical.com has them for $499, plus free shipping.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/03/2004 5:34 am
I've used a line 6 combo for a lot of things, it has some interesting traits. For the price it's not bad but it's not as versatile as it seems, especially for rock. At least the older ones aren't.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/03/2004 5:49 am
The new Traynors are aimed at getting that "classic" sound, and the old ones are still known as "a poor man's plexi" Marshall. You need to remember that the sounds you lust after are the result of a lot of studio manipulation.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Death55
Death55
03/03/2004 9:20 am
After a lot of searching for good amps i have decided i'm just going to have to test some if i get the chance.
I know the 5150 II has a very very nice lead channel but the rythem channel isnt amazing from what i've heard.
What i'm going to do is have an amp fest where everyone brings there amps to a big hall or somewhere and you just go round testing lots of amps. Problem is , is that most people where i live will bring crap amps in or just not bother bringing a big amp in.
i think you might have to travel to some good shops even if they are an hour or more away.
What some people think is a good amp you might find you hate it !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 6
spanky10940
spanky10940
03/05/2004 5:42 pm
Luckily I'm close enough to New York City that I can take a 40min drive and see any amp I wanna try....

do you have a large city by you where you can just go a tool around for a bit? So far that seems to be the only way that YOU can find what you're looking for. Opinions are just that... it's what I think and someone on another thread posted something about a Fender having Brutal distortion..... opinions... funny little things, aren't they? :D
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 7
Death55
Death55
03/08/2004 5:15 pm
someone said the marshall mg 10watt amp has brutal distortion.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 8
DiminishedDevil
DiminishedDevil
03/09/2004 3:40 pm
You have to get the MarkII c+ combo by mesa boogie. It's the same distortion metallica used on "and justice for all". Besides that type of distortion you can get any type of distortion out of that amp you want. It's so brutally loud you can use it live, remember stage volume is the enemy so I don't know why people have half stacks or full stacks when they just stick a mic in front of it anyway. Why not just push that one speaker harder in a combo amp. Here is the head version shown on ebay the combo shows up on ebay every now and then just have to wait for it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3709505661&category=43374
# 9
Arpeggios From Hell
Arpeggios From Hell
03/13/2004 3:54 am
Marshall's JCM-2000 DSL (duel super lead) or TSL (1 extra channel than the dsl) (triple super lead) is probably the best sounding amp (combo or head). It has a tone switch which scoops the mid freq. This amp will giveyou the classic children of bodom hatebreeder sound. The lead channel on this amp blows away any mesa boogie and the 5150. Overall, it has more gain than any other marshall, a very bright, and crisp screaming lead tone, to any type of scooped, or chunky rhythm from anything to deeds of flesh. The peavy and most mesa boogies are all low end crunch with no balls or scream or reverb.
"Somebody put something in my drink, Yeow Yeow!"
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.