View post (Please Please Please someone help me find a good tube combo for metal!!)

View thread

Death55
Death55
03/03/2004 9:20 am
After a lot of searching for good amps i have decided i'm just going to have to test some if i get the chance.
I know the 5150 II has a very very nice lead channel but the rythem channel isnt amazing from what i've heard.
What i'm going to do is have an amp fest where everyone brings there amps to a big hall or somewhere and you just go round testing lots of amps. Problem is , is that most people where i live will bring crap amps in or just not bother bringing a big amp in.
i think you might have to travel to some good shops even if they are an hour or more away.
What some people think is a good amp you might find you hate it !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.