What album changed your life?

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/26/2004 10:19 am
Ill second Appetite For Desruction!! I remember the day I bought it I was utterly blown away! My best pal was doing his paper round (lol) and I literally run around the streets looking for him to tell him about it!

Second favourite was 'Use Your illusions 2' by GnR, probably the most emotive record Ive ever heard.
# 1
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
02/26/2004 1:28 pm
"Battery" by Metallica, first metal song I heard...think I was about 8. Turned me towards metal rather than pop.... thank **** for that!

- J
# 2
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
02/26/2004 5:35 pm
Alice Cooper's Constrictor & Schools Out were the albums that changed music for me. I listened to Metallica, Motley Crue, AC DC...stuff like that but I saw Constrictor and Schools out at a garage sale and bought them for about $2. They were the only records I owned. To this day I can't listen to either album on CD. It's just not the same as the old scratchy records I had.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 3
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
02/26/2004 7:55 pm
Jane's Addiction Kettle Whistle, I became a completely different person after it. Before it I was into rock/metal/seatle stuff. After I heard this album I opened myself to many other styles.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 4
complex
complex
02/26/2004 8:24 pm
Creed - My Own Prison
This album changed my playing style.
www.complexband.com
# 5
Tank_Simmons
Tank_Simmons
02/26/2004 9:50 pm
Great replies guys.....you all have amazing taste. I'll throw a few more out there that influenced me. Although "Passion and Warfare" is my bible, close behind are:

Stone Temple Pilots "Core"
Led Zeppelin II and "Houses of the Holy"
Ozzy's "No Rest for the Wicked", and "Ozzmosis"
Manson's "Anti-Christ Superstar"
Clapton's "Slowhand"
Van Halen's "Balance," "1984" and "ou812"
Any album by The Clash, Misfits, or Queen

Just a little sample since people were giving more than a few.
Knock, knock
Who's there?
Ted Bundy
Ted Bundy who?
Let me in, meat
No!!!!
I mean....Hi, it's Santa Claus
Yay!....Santa!
# 6
Karma In The South
Karma In The South
02/26/2004 11:17 pm
Jeff Buckley - Grace
# 7
sme331
sme331
02/27/2004 5:55 am
The first would be Queen - Night at the Opera, then I won an album off of a radio station here of a band I had never heard of, I was only like 8 or 10 years old. That album was ZZ Top Fandango. Really got me into the blues, "Balaneze" is bad ass. and of course, I had all of KISS's albums which satisfied my need for power cords and smoking lead. Pink Floyd - The Wall ( many joints smoked over this one) was by far the most influential. That is almost all I play now is old Pink Floyd. My kids got me into Nickleback later in life and they have shaped my play somewhat.

Tim
You are only coming through in waves, your lips move but I cant hear what you're saying.:cool:
# 8
Seve420
Seve420
02/27/2004 7:23 am
Pig Destroyer - 38 Counts Of Battery
It was because of this I'm now into metal.

Led Zeppelin - II
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
After listening to these two albums, I began to appreciate music.
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 9
Jimmysticks
Jimmysticks
02/28/2004 8:16 pm
I personally love fashion nugget by cake
# 10
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/28/2004 8:26 pm
Jimmysticks, is there a way you could shrink that signature or something?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 11
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
02/28/2004 11:14 pm
I don't know what crack you guys are on, but I can't say that any album has ever changed my life. That's a bit drastic, don't you think? I suppose I could say certain guitarists have molded my musical trajectory, as far as guitar playing is concerned. But even then, there's probably not one particular album by any particular guitarist/musician that has specifically influenced me.

Maybe it's a different story for bible-thumpers who became religious as a result of Christian pop bands or people who became satanic/goths from death metal bands. In those instances, I guess you could say that a particular album changed your life. I don't buy into the whole 'image' thing...
# 12
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/29/2004 12:28 am
well - the album that i mentioned brought me into guitar music and that made me pick up my guitar and become a musician - and that DEFINITELY changed my life, since it gave me a direction to where to go in my life. so i can say it CHANGED MY LIFE. no need to be on any sort of crack for me there.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 13
the fool
the fool
02/29/2004 5:18 am
i find guitar playing a life- altering experience. I mean for instance, it helped me discover a part of me that I dont know existed before. It also opened up a lot of doors for me and helped me find my identity and my true calling. I now actually have some better things to do with my spare time than hanging arounf and identifying myself with no good people at school back in highschool. And I dont think I'd learn how to play the guitar if it weren't for those albums that appealed to me. So I guess I owe it to those albums. They changed my life drastically that way.

"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 14
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/29/2004 6:23 am
Music actually had no influence on my deciding to play guitar. Before playing guitar music wasn't really a part of my life outside band at school, which I didn't like (the reason it was so hard and unrewarding for me, although I didn't know it at the time, was that my instrument was broken. it's a real pity I didn't know that sooner). It was in all seriousness completely random. I was bored, I saw a used guitar that looked nice for $125 when I was with my bro (who plays bass) in a music shop, I had money I wasn't spending on anything else, so I was like what the hell. I'll take that one. As soon as I started learning to play it (the only 'lesson' I've had was my sister showing me the open d chord) I fell in love with the art and I haven't looked back since.

I can't remember if I ever answered this thread's original question. Marilyn Manson, it's the reason I stopped hating myself and started admiting my life had problems I needed to deal with.

"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 15
the fool
the fool
03/01/2004 2:03 am
to tell you the truth, i hated band at school too. I wanted to play the guitar but the school put me on the school band and gave me the bass instead! At that time, I only know how to play very basic guitar- no notes, so I had no idea how to play the bass! My teacher tried teaching me the notes but they were just more boring than the songs we played at school. So as usual, I let my ear lead the way and just improvised my way through band concerts. I thought I was going to fail because I sucked at music theory exams, I didnt do homework, and I just improvised during practices and concerts but I managed to get a 70% which I'm pretty proud of LOL.

"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 16
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/01/2004 3:20 am
I played in jazz band in my school. That was fun, besides all the new stuff thrown in to the music. Like triangles. Seeing chords labeled with random geometric shapes for the first time is always an adventure.
-A.H.
# 17
the fool
the fool
03/01/2004 6:07 am
did u play guitar in your school jazz band? see, the jazz band in my school is so old fashioned- they dont allow guitars- only bass guitars- and thats if you're lucky because sometimes, they just use a piano!!! Never made a difference anyways even if there was a second instrument in the room- somehow, the main instrument was always the piano. I have nothing against piano- I actually love the sound of it and wish I could play it as good as I play the guitar- but playing jazz songs with just piano is just boring- especially if the piano is old and barely functional to begin with. Its also a shame to always use a piano on a jazz song that uses a guitar as the main instrument- its just plain blasphemy. The good ol fashion warm guitar jazz chords and improv solos just dont sound the same in piano.

# 18
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/01/2004 6:14 am
Yeah, I was able to play guitar in it. My twin bro covered the bass section, which was pretty cool.
-A.H.
# 19
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/01/2004 9:59 am
Originally posted by Hammurabi
Seeing chords labeled with random geometric shapes for the first time is always an adventure.

LOL!!

yeah - i remember a time when i was still a musical virgin and when i didnt even think about becoming a musician mayelf. there was this band of a friend of mine which we were visiting during one of their rehersals. the two guitarrists sat there argueing about a chordname. it was like "its a Bflat7911133456" and "nooo - its a Cmajor7add9234782134" and i thought to myself "huh? so many numbers? what has this got to do with music?" *LOL* it sounded to me like the operation manual for a camcorder or something, but not like names for musical chords. aah yes.. those where the days.. :D

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.