ENGL powerball or Peavy 5150 II

Death55
Death55
02/15/2004 6:31 pm
I want to make sure when i do get a good tube amp that i'm going to like... it will be a while before i do but i want to get as much info before i do :). Where i live i dont really get to test many good amps.
So far i have heard clips from both amps and oppinions from other people about both amps. So far i havnt heard people comparing the 5150 to the powerball, only people comparing the powerball to the 5150 and saying the powerball is better.
I actually really liked the clips i've heard of the powerball, only problem is, is that i've only heard riffs being played on the powerball and havnt heard what its like for solo's. I know the 5150 II is great for solo's because i've heard solo's being played on it before and it sounded great but too many people say the 5150 is too noisy and higher volume levels and i know the powerball has a built in noise gate which helps it overcome this problem. I've also heard that the powerball can still sound amazing at a low volume and doesnt have to be turned up really loud to sound good. One last thing is that a lot of people go on about having the peavy modded to make it sound decent and no one has said you need to mod a powerball which is a good thing.

So what do you guys and girls think ? I know a few people like aiwass have talked about the powerball a few times before. I need to know if the powerball has got great tone for solo's aswell as being good for heavy riffs.

So which one should i get ? I want to be able to get a really heavy sound and also one to get a really nice tone for solo's !
(i know i've said a lot but PLEASE CAN SOMEONE REPLY AND HELP ME OUT ON THIS DECISION)

By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 1
SPL
SPL
02/15/2004 6:51 pm
I would definitely go for the Powerball. This amps is just in a different league than the 5150...
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/15/2004 9:02 pm
The price probably reflects it as well, unforturnately for us college blokes.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Death55
Death55
02/15/2004 9:58 pm
the price doesnt reflect it.. well it does to an extent. I think. Mesa amps are far more expensive compared to the powerball and 5150 and yet are no better from what i've heard !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 4
SPL
SPL
02/16/2004 4:35 pm
Originally posted by Hammurabi
The price probably reflects it as well, unforturnately for us college blokes.

All depends on where you live. In Europe the price of the Powerball is very reasonable I think, probably in the same ballpark as the 5150.
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/16/2004 8:26 pm
Isn't the powerball somewhere around the $2000 mark?A 5150 II is around the $900 mark...the powerball is mucho more than a 5150.

What is the better amp?I would throw my money(if I had that kind of money)on the powerball ANY day.
I'm sure the 5150 is great(I'm actually thinking of buying one),but its like comparing a...well you figure it out.
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
SPL
SPL
02/17/2004 2:30 pm
Originally posted by chucklivesoninmyheart
...the powerball is mucho more than a 5150.

In Germany(and probably the rest of western Europe) the price difference in only a couple of hundred Euros. It all depends on where you live...
# 7
Death55
Death55
02/21/2004 12:10 am
You all seem to all think the powerball is a lot better. I know its great for heavy riffs but i havnt heard any clips of someone playing solo's on it.
I'm wondering what it sounds like for solo's. Is it good at doing neoclassical type solo's or dream theater solo's and all the other melodic solo's ?

# 8
merker
merker
02/23/2004 3:13 am
The Albion sounds like an awsome amp!

http://www.londonpower.com/amps.htm

Only if i had more money.
Playing Guitar is fun!
# 9
Death55
Death55
02/23/2004 10:27 pm
wow, all that stuff looks confusing to me. I'm just going to have to test amps before i know whats good and whats not !
# 10
Jim11
Jim11
08/26/2009 8:51 pm
Everything I have read in many many forums and user reviews is that the Engl Powerball kills the 5150 on all levels - except price! ;)

If you are looking for high gain metal, the Powerball is awesome at the $2,000 price range - not cheap.

Also, the Powerball will definitely change tone/color depending on the cabinet you use so that is a factor when reading reviews.

I also found a site that lists pros/cons of the amp and some quality videos from owners here - http://www.englpowerball.com
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.