Hendrix vrs. Perry

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/20/2004 7:40 pm
Originally posted by Slow Diver

I'm sorry but this is simply hilarious...I laughed so much that my still hurts LOL

If you laughed that much then you no nothing about Joe Perry, hes an awesome guitarist. Whats the point in replying to this if your only fimiliar with one of the two guitarists!
# 1
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
02/20/2004 9:47 pm
Originally posted by Axl_Rose

If you laughed that much then you no nothing about Joe Perry, hes an awesome guitarist. Whats the point in replying to this if your only fimiliar with one of the two guitarists!

*calls grammar-police*
# 2
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
02/20/2004 10:56 pm
Hendrix wasnt a jazz based rock guitar player.
He was a stoner. That summarises it completley.
I think hendrix is the most overated guitar player *EVER*. Ritchie Blackmore was there when Hendrix was there, Jimmy Page, Clapton, B.B King, Johnny Winter.. Lots of guitar players who were much much better (or at least equal to hendrix ) and played +- same kind of music he did.
Besides, even if he were the first player to do this and that, it still doesnt turn him into such a great player.
Its like saying Robert Johnson or whoever was the first guy to play blues on the radio is the greatest guitar player and better than all the people you have nowadays , just because he was the first guy to play the blues on the radio.

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/21/2004 1:17 am
Originally posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen

*calls grammar-police*

Erm... what I posted was 100% grammatically correct...
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/21/2004 2:40 am
Yes, but you can't spell!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/21/2004 4:24 am
You guys have no idea how many times I've had to stop myself from "fixing" people's posts.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
02/21/2004 5:30 am
Hear hear!!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
TheWizard
TheWizard
02/21/2004 6:31 am
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Hendrix wasnt a jazz based rock guitar player.
He was a stoner. That summarises it completley.
I think hendrix is the most overated guitar player *EVER*. Ritchie Blackmore was there when Hendrix was there, Jimmy Page, Clapton, B.B King, Johnny Winter.. Lots of guitar players who were much much better (or at least equal to hendrix ) and played +- same kind of music he did.
Besides, even if he were the first player to do this and that, it still doesnt turn him into such a great player.
Its like saying Robert Johnson or whoever was the first guy to play blues on the radio is the greatest guitar player and better than all the people you have nowadays , just because he was the first guy to play the blues on the radio.

I used to somewhat feel the same way as this, but looking past his soloing Jimi did things with chord inverstions and improvisation that has never been duplicated

Jimi was somewhat before all of those guys you mentioned except BB

Watching Jimi play you could see his playing came from another place
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 8
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/21/2004 2:24 pm
I can spell!! What did I spell wrong?!?! 'no' as in knowledge is simply shorthand! G-sus! I graduate in May! Of course I can spell!!!
# 9
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
02/21/2004 5:33 pm
One question: why compare Perry to Hendrix of all people? Are their styles similar or something, why did you choose him?
# 10
sambob
sambob
02/21/2004 5:39 pm
Hmm, I think Aerosmith is perhaps one of the worst bands in the history of rock music.

And I also think Joe Perry is just another boring blues/rock guitarists. Nothing special about him at all.
# 11
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
02/21/2004 6:12 pm
Originally posted by Slow Diver

I'm sorry but this is simply hilarious...I laughed so much that my still hurts LOL

I know quite a lot about aerosmith because I listened to them in early high school, so I'm not just bashing.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 12
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/21/2004 6:16 pm
I think this is a fair post although yes there styles are different. In my opinion Perry is a very good guitarist in pop music and yeah could be considered underrated. I also don't think anyone can compare to hendrix, ANYONE! Even though perry is a great guitarist, you can't possibably compare him to the name that will forever be associated with rock guitar.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/21/2004 6:20 pm
If you laughed that much[u],[/u] then you [u]know[/u] nothing about Joe Perry[u].[/u] [u]He's[/u] an awesome guitarist. [u]What's[/u] the point in replying to this if [u]you're[/u] only [u]familiar[/u] with one of the two guitarists!

I've never been to university. That's one of the few regrets I have. I wish you all of the best.

Peace out.
L.
:)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/21/2004 9:23 pm
No wonder you never got into uni, there shouldnt be a comma after 'much' and a '.' before 'hes an awesome guitarist'!

LOL - who cares about apostrophes too!!

Sambob - What are you on?!?!? Worst bands in rock history?!?

# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/21/2004 9:37 pm
No wonder you never got into uni, there shouldnt be a comma after 'much' and a '.' before 'hes an awesome guitarist'!

LOL - who cares about apostrophes too!!

Sambob - What are you on?!?!? Worst bands in rock history?!?

HAHAHAHAHA!!! You moron! There HAS TO BE a comma after "much;" it's a dependent clause!!! There also HAS TO BE a period before "He's an awesome guitarist," because without it, you would have a run-on. Who cares about apostrophes, you ask? I'm an English major, and I guarantee that if I turned in a paper to my professors without including the necessary apostrophes, I would fail that paper. This evidence would bring one to the conclusion that those with any wish to convey their thoughts on written paper in a coherent and proper way would care about apostrophes. L...O...L
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/21/2004 9:44 pm
By the by, put your punctuation INSIDE the quotation marks and use the single quotation marks only when you're marking a quote inside a quote.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/21/2004 10:42 pm
Check it with an English teacher, Axl. As for university, I didn't go because after high school I was a ******-up druggie! But even then I knew how to write coherently.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/22/2004 12:50 am
I graduate in May... at the Universtiy of St Andrews which is the best in Scotland, third best in the UK I think.
I still disagree with the period and comma, perhaps it different between the US and UK becuase theres no way youd need a comma before "hes an awesome guitarist!"
This is a music forum, who cares about perfect grammar, this whole argument stems from me getting annoyed at people using zero commas and periods and thus making there posts crap to read!!
And I object to being called a "moro", you dont know me!
# 19
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/22/2004 1:01 am
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
I didn't go because after high school I was a ******-up druggie!

Your point being... you were too immature and irresponsible to value an education?!?! The fact you can say that without a shred of shame is pretty sad.

I meet people like this all the time, people who didnt go to uni so they are bitter and resentful to those who did. They try to know things you dont know and beat you at stuff just so they can say "Ha! and he goes to uni!?!?" :rolleyes:

Excuse me for tryna make sumin of myself! Slag off my grammar all you like!

The tone of this post was meant to be melodramatic :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.