effects advice

acdc527
acdc527
01/03/2004 1:56 am
im starting to get serious about my guitar playing and i need advice on effects.

since i dont have much experience im hoping somebody out there nows their stuff on effects. i dont know whats better to a bunch of stomp box or get foot controller.
also i dont what is the best quality : line 6,boss,dod and so many others? i like to play rock and metal and that will probally effect the type of effects i need

HELP!!
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/03/2004 5:24 am
There's a lot of personal opinions on this topic, and a lot of them have already been expressed in previous threads here.

Use the search icon at the upper right of the page to find out what comments have already been made. Then, if you need to have something clarified, post a reply to one of those earlier threads, and it will come back up to the top for everyone to see and add to.

Welcome aboard!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jealousblues
jealousblues
01/03/2004 5:52 pm
I like line 6 and use a POD...but as far as I know all of their stuff is amp modeling not just effects, you may want to use your own amp. Personally I think I can get a pretty good sound out of my POD and its excellent for small gigs and happy hours. But sometimes I wish I would break out the marshall for some of the club gigs...but I get a much better clean sound from the POD, you may have seen my thread ;-) (thats one of its advantages you can mix sounds of different amps it sims like 40 different amps or something...i forget the number). But If you want a POD make sure you have a good monitor to hear yourself through if you arnt always playing through a house PA. I have a little one and its a good enough monitor but it certainly doesnt sound through it like my sound comes out front...you have to get used to that too. its not going to roar right back in your face. But when I go out front in sound check the POD really does sound good. YOu can run it through an amp...but I have found it sounds better ran straight into a board. In fact its supposed to emmulate the effect of going through an amp speaker and to a microphrone its called the A.I.R. feature or something...go figure!

[Edited by jealousblues on 01-03-2004 at 11:54 AM]
Have you noticed that the best songs always seem be the most simple take, the classic song, "batman"... I mean its just Batman and Na...
# 3
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
01/03/2004 8:11 pm
I prefer stomp boxes or several reasons.
1)When your after a certain effect you can try each brand and type out till you find the perfect one,not just a decent one thats in with a million other things in a processor.
2)You have comlete on the fly control just bend over and turn a knob no BS programming etc..
3)If one effect craps out at a gig you can quickly unplug it and bypass it and play.With a processor everthings in one and if it ****s your out of luck.
4)I'm sort of a purest who has an effects phobia.And seems every band I've ever joined has a preconcived idea of a certain overly processed phaser,chorus,pitch shift retarded thing I should have on my guitar on every song.So without a processor I have the option of saying OH I don't have that effect.
As far as brands I've found the Digitech X-series digital delay to be the best hands down sounding delay on the market besides expensive rackmount stuff.But use a power supply cause it plays weird annoying games when the batterys die(and in 3 hrs too).
Vox wah to my ears is the best wah around widest sweep.
Boss seeems to make good modulation effects like chorus.And there EQ pedal is a hot little device too.
As far as distortions go the opinions vary so widely its rediculous.I like the old TS9 tube screamer or a solid state distortion device.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 4
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
01/04/2004 6:04 am
All you really need dude is a good MXR distortion +, an MXR phase 45, a good delay (if you wanna get fancy), and a kick ass amp.
Of course if you are really an AC/DC fan, just plug into the amp. Angus is too spastic to have to stomp on boxes...
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.