The same idea you had when you got started...

Joseph
Joseph
01/11/2001 5:21 am
When we first start out on the guitar, or any other instrument for that matter, its safe to say that we all have different intentions. Of course fame and fortune plays a big part in why we got started, (as well as keeping us motivated.) Has your original ideas/intentions changed much over the past several years, as you have opened your eyes to the various options of the music industry, as well as how others approach it? For me, for the most part I've always just focused on becoming an accomplished player, I guess Ive always wanted to get to the point where I could just sit back and relax and play and record naturally, (a way to transfer the music that I heard inside my head through my fingers.) And believe me, you really don't start making progress until you slow down, and just figure out what it is that you desperately want, (beside satisfying the fickle fascinations of others.

For the most part, its always been rather difficult to find the right people who share the same perspective as I do, (or at least something similiar.) Do you feel the same, or perhaps am i just setting my standards too high? Of course we all like cutting loose woith those killer guitar solos and impress our friends as well as those watchin in the wings, (but Ive always felt that creating music is supposed to be a very natural experience. A way to come to a better understanding of exactly who you are and what you like. When auditioning for a band, alot of smart musicians are usually more concerned with whether or you're a sound player, (someone who has that special feeling when it comes to music), instead of lightning speed licks. Basically everyone is looking for sometrhing different, all in all I try to keep an open mind.

try try try...

-Joseph, :)
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
11/30/2001 3:40 am
So check it out guys...

And this is pretty interesting too...

-Joseph

[Edited by Joseph on 12-08-2001 at 11:11 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
# 2

11/30/2001 4:06 am
I can sum it up by saying this: when I first picked up the guitar, I didn't know one end from the other. My goal was to learn how to play When the Saints go Marching In (the kiddie version, you know the way the melody follows the vocals?).

Now my goal is to make guitar playing my career and life.
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
11/30/2001 10:19 pm
I first picked up the guitar because it's easier to carry than a piano (it's the actual reason!!)
then, I have tried to be the Best guitarist in the world (from age 14 to 20) and everytime I heard a new technique, I tried to master it so I became fluent at it... After all those years, I have understood that I'd always find someone with a new technique, and I have stopped trying to reach that goal..
I now write songs and my goal is to keep on earning a living playing the guitar and teaching music... ain't life great??
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
12/09/2001 4:17 am
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
I first picked up the guitar because it's easier to carry than a piano (it's the actual reason!!) ??

Although, Tori Amos has done a pretty damn good job dragging that piano where ever she goes. I saw one of her shows down here in South Florida a few months ago, and she is truly mesmerized by this instrument. She loses herself within every note that she plays. She really has inspired me in more ways than one to start (once again) writing songs on piano, and then of course translating them to guitar.

All that can say is that it's important to never set limitations for yourself, or least try not to. Because one these days, you just might be able to make your dreams come true. It's not about money, or receiving special recognition from your peers, it's about that one moment where you become one with your instrument, where everything stanbds still and almost nothing matters at all.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
# 5
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/10/2001 5:21 pm
Where do keep you finding those pictures of my wife at!?!

Stop it man, seriously, it's really starting to p#$% me off!

-LoL-
# 6
StratsGalore
StratsGalore
12/12/2001 6:45 pm
When I started playing 30 years ago, I wanted to solo and improvise like Santana and Duane Allman. My brother showed me five basic chords and told me to stop bugging him. So I learned from Jimmy Page and Peter Frampton by spinning the vinyl over and over again. Since then I found God (and never stopped playing) and now play solos and improvisation in a contemporary church worship team. Looking back, I feel that all my years spent learning classic rock licks prepped me for reaching a new audience - God and the congregation. So although the venues and the material and the motivation are different, the vehicle stays the same. I am thankful that at 45 years old, I still have a regular weekly gig where I can find musical expression yet with an eternal application. Amen.
Lyrics: wasted time between solos.
# 7
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/12/2001 6:49 pm
Amen
# 8
PittbullBlue
PittbullBlue
12/13/2001 2:01 am
I actually picked up the guitar because throughout the years without one...I had written songs for my friends (who had guitars) to play.(kiddie songs lol) I got my first guitar when I was twelve and took a crash course. My intentions for playing were to let out the music I would write in my head and on paper. It was my outlet...it still is and I love it. Now, my intentions haven't changed much. In fact not at all. I love guitar, I often tell people that if my house caught fire it would be the first thing I grab as I'm running for the door. :)
Practice...Practice...PRACTICE!!!! It really does make perfect. :)
# 9
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
12/30/2001 6:38 am
if i were to live in the mountains and my house caught fire, i would take my acoustic guitar outside my house and start playing "Fire On the Mountain" by the grateful dead, as the Fire-trolls arrive...:)
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
12/31/2001 3:39 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
if i were to live in the mountains and my house caught fire, i would take my acoustic guitar outside my house and start playing "Fire On the Mountain" by the grateful dead, as the Fire-trolls arrive...:)

We should jam together. :D

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 11
Schwigg
Schwigg
01/08/2002 10:32 am
I started playing guitar at 13(I'm 21 now). I couldn't play worth a damn, I learned alot of nirvana(lol). Punk became a prime objective. I wanted to be in a fast punk band.

I never would have thought what happened with my guitar playing. I love punk and the band is a focal point of my life.

My guitar playing has gone to places I only dreamed of. You pick up one thing, then another, then pretty soon you're rockin out impressing people. I have never taken lessons, just paid attention to other guitarists. After exploring the musical universe I have come to a few conclusions:

I've never met a guitar player that likes Limp Bizkit, so umm good luck with their search for a guitarist.

JAZZ is where it's at. You will come across it at one point and when you do your life will never be the same.

Jazz is not as complicated as you may think.
Underground punk bands are getting really good lately. Many punk songs are not easy to play on guitar. I hate getting that crap from people.

Feeling or technique? you decide... If you're not feeling the technique, explore.

oh yes...advice for people in bands...
If you are onstage...If you don't look like you love what you're doing, nobody else is gonna love it either.

There's nothing more depressing than a talented musician staring at his shoes, unless he's depressed I suppose. That brings me back to stage presence. You need to have it. People have seen dozens of bands. Being able to grab their attention will more likely make them remember you.

that's my final word i need sleep badly...
eyes drooping

night ya'll

"Not everyone can live the american dream like we do."
-me
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.