Capo's And Sheetmusic

Trent J Liberty
Trent J Liberty
12/23/2003 8:19 pm
When writing (and I suppose reading) sheetmusic for guitar do you indicate that there is a capo and make all of the notes relative or do you simply put the notes that you would be playing with a capo?

Since I don't think that was very clear, I'll try and say it simpler. In tab you put that there is a capo - lets say on 2, then put all the would be 2's as 0. Do you also do this for sheet music? So would you put all of the F#'s as E's and so forth?

I hope that made sense.

My guess is that you would not make them relative. Simply put the notes which you will be playing. Or else it seems like it would be too confusing.

[Edited by Trent J Liberty on 12-23-2003 at 02:22 PM]
~Trent Jacob Liberty~

# 1
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
12/23/2003 9:01 pm
um.... i think so. if, like the example you said, you had a capo on the 2nd fret and wanted to play a F#maj chord you would tab it as a Emaj chord. the notes would be as if you were playing without a capo (E G# B). however i think you would have to indicate on the score somewhere that all the notes need transposing up a tone... i guess it just depends on the writer
Tandem Felix
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/26/2003 4:39 am
yes...the music would be written out as if you were playing in the open position...somewhere above the score it would indicate where to capo at.
Chords would also be written out and named as if they were in open position...I have seen music where both chord names were written, the open position chord, and then above or below it in parenthesis is the actual chord that would be sounding.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.