VOX AD60VT vs Line 6 Flextone III

spanky10940
spanky10940
12/22/2003 2:53 pm
I'm havin a hard time finding an amp that I want and I figured I'd turn to you guys... you always have good input.

i'm looking for something that is versatile, yet won't kill the wallet. I just bought the VOX AD60VT and I'm on the fence...... I ran me $580 without the foot pedal (additional $260) and the Line 6 is $500 (USD) without and $580 with!

The major difference I can find between the 2 is that the VOX uses tubes and the line 6 does not... other than that, they're both pretty cool amps. What I'm looking for is opinions on what you'd get that would do the most for ya. I play a little of everything and I don't want to buy 20 different pedals and such... I just wanna plug and play..

ideas?

btw.. happy holidays to everyone.

"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
12/23/2003 3:36 am
$260!! for a footswitch pedal?? If so, then you should just buy a line selector pedal from some other company. My Fender switch works on my friends amp.

I would personally choose the VOX. That's because you get the awesome tube sound, and thats killer for me. I've never tried the Line 6 and the only thing I know and have tried by them is the POD, which is cool for recording and such. But man, if you've got your VOX now, look for alternatives, other than buying another amp, to get what you want.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/23/2003 6:25 am
I think you need to decide what you want your sound to be like. All those fancy effects you hear on a recorded song were laid-on after the guitar track was cut!

I wasted a lot of years, and a helluva lot of money, chasing a way to get studio sound on stage. Forget it!

You want a guitar-and-amp combination that lets you create the sounds that allow you to express yourself. I found that that comes from a well-set-up guitar, and an amp that lets people hear what I do with that guitar. The weird sh!t that gets added in the studio can enhance that (if it's done right!), but it all starts with a good guitar, and a good amp. And a skilled pair of hands.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
jackmusic
jackmusic
12/28/2003 3:52 pm
I think the Vox was and is the way to go(tubes). I would look at adding a differant speaker cabinet like a Genz Benz George Lynch 2x12 cabinet for the Marshall effect sound and then I would add a clean cab later. I have the Vox AD120 big brother but I wanted the ac30 British sound and then I added the Genz Benz cab and I am happy. But for the money I paid for the Genz I could have bought a 4-12 Marshall cab and really blasted.
I wanted smaller cabs to haul around. My only concern on this style vox amp is durability on road. I built an anvil style case for it to help but we will see,so far so good (6 months). I plan on picking up a back up amp just in case. I demo'd line 6 against the vox side by side and my ears said the vox. But when it comes to sound every ear is differant. The line 6 is a great amp I always liked vox. Sorry for being so long winded.
Jack
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
12/28/2003 8:17 pm
I know money is a problem but i would go with a good tube amp and add a couple of pedals to spice up to your desire.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 5
the fool
the fool
12/29/2003 7:57 am
GET THE VOX AD60VT!!! I should know. I own one and it's way better than the Line 6 Flextone III. I especially love the brian may sound!!!!
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 6
spanky10940
spanky10940
12/29/2003 2:31 pm
Thanks guys... as usual great input and on the mark with everyone else I spoke to about it.

I bought the VOX and I LOVE it. I'm still putting sounds together so I've got a little bit to go before I have it mastered. But so far there hasn't been a sound that I can't, at the least, come pretty damn close to and that's just outta the box! A good friend of mine is in a band and the lead guitarist, who plays a marshall (not sure the model) wanted to use it Sat night for their set but I got to the bar too late... yeah, I suck!

Side note - also got the Pandoras box PX4 by korg. If you want something to practice with, this is it. It's like a small VOX on your hip!

Btw.. Telemaster - there are 2 types of pedals available. Both use an RJ45 (Ethernet) connector but one is the VC6 which is about $120 and change and the other is the VC12 which was the $260ish one... the difference is that the more expensive one gives you access to almost all of the amps features. The VC6 does less... not sure the complete differences yet but I'll figure em' out.

"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 7
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
12/30/2003 12:00 am
Ok, cool. Ya I checked the VOX site and noticed the huge pedal boards, sorry for the mix-up.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 8

11/11/2005 1:29 am
Hello all.

Yeah, I shopped for a long time. And for me, money wasn't an issue. I could have spent double what I did, if I found the amp.

I decided on the AD100VT because it offers some great options. It offers the sounds I like and use most. (I play "mostly" Blues, Jazz and '60's Classic Rock)

What's gonna take time is setting up my patches. I was SO used to my Dean Markley! LOL But it got tired and parts are hard to find.

Anywho . . . I've been trying to find a discussion group that focusses on Vox amps, MAINLY the AD-VT series. I joined a different one 3 weeks ago. It "looked" great! The Webmasrter did an incredible job putting it together.

Problem is . . . NO ONE says anything! I posted 12 posts and got like 2 replies.

Sad. So I hope maybe this one will be a good one. :)

I'm going to be adding an AD-VT settings and tips page on my music site. So if anyone has some fav settings, let me know, OK?

I plan to set it up with plenty of details. With graphics showing the settings.

What I'm hoping for is other users letting me know what settings they use for (details man!) specific songs.

I'd like to break it down to "types of sound", Artist, and specific songs.

Like . . . a patch for the rhythm guitar sound on All Right Now by Free. Etc. And a patch for the lead.

I'll be working on Santana "sound" as I play a lot of his tunes. Plus I'd like to include many music styles/bands, etc.

If you'd like to contribute, please let me know. Either here, or email me at . . .

[email]wayne@thewaynereedconnection.com[/email]

Wayne
# 9
RippedRocker
RippedRocker
11/11/2005 3:27 am
I own a vox Valvetronix Ad50 and i love it! I have heard line 6 amps before including the flextone and i like the valvetronix series better. Tube sound will always make your tone sound better than solid state no question. The amp was amazingly cheap at about 350 and the footswitch was 30. My only gripe is with the footswitch because the amp is so versatile but u can't change the amps versatility on the fly so easy, if you were playing live and needed to change an effect u would need to either go over to your amp or have a friend there to switch over to the effect for you. Otherwise your gonna have to manage your effects in 2 channels or less. VOX does offer better footswitches just not with my model of amp. The effects are of course bypassable by the footswitch and they are 24 bit crystal clear sounding. I like the distortion on this amp too! Plenty of balls and they have enough amp models to choose from to give u any sound you'd want. Overall i think this amp is the best you could buy in the price range! it totally destroys my old crate 2x12 (it didn't have effects though). The big difference between this amp and the line 6 flextone is this-

"The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the impedance changes of a real speaker. It also reconfigures itself so that its characteristics are the same as the amps it’s modeling (class A, class AB, negative feedback circuit, etc.). This means that all of the nuances of the original amp model including sound, feel, distortion and presence are reproduced accurately" www.voxamps.co.uk
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.