what does a series effects loop do? marshall dsl 40 or avt please help me decide

TheTrooper
TheTrooper
12/19/2003 3:40 am
The amps I currently trying to decide over (Avt 50 and Dsl 40) Have effects loops the avt is a series and the dsl is a parralel, but I dont know what they do, can someone explain?.

If you guys dont mind, could you help me decide between the two I appreciate everyones input whatever type of music you play, but I want to know which amp will give me the best 80's metal tone i,e Maiden, Sabbath, Preist. I was at guitar center for like 3 hours last night comparing just about all the amps they had and the ones that stuck out to me were a peavy xxl half stack, and the avt 50 combo. I want a tube amp and that is why I am considering the dsl 40 but when I played it didn't have the tight punchy overdrive that the avt and xxl had, it seemed more suited for blues or rock but its tube and I was wondering if maybe I can put an overdrive pedal in front of it, and I was considering an overdrive pedal anyways for a neo-classical tone. The good thing about the dsl is that it has three channels unlike the avt, but if I have an overdrive pedal cant I just use it as my lead channel.Also people (guitar center creeps and harmony central reviews)are telling me the avts sound good when your jamming alone but bad when your playing with a band ,

basically I want the tight overdrive iron maiden has along with their lead along with sabbath's and dio's heavy tone without having to go out and buy a marshall stack and jmp 1 preamp.

What should I go with the tube or hybrid
# 1
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/19/2003 12:43 pm
The DSL is dual, which means 2 channels, the TSL has 3. Id go for the TSL (Stack or combo u mean?) over the AVT. Ive had both. You do get more overdrive with the AVT range but the volume and clarity of tone on the marshall stack is simply awesome. The again the AVT has inbuilt effects which are great. So if its combos, then got for the AVT, but if you considering the stack then Id go for that!
# 2
Ryan-of-Flames
Ryan-of-Flames
12/20/2003 7:42 am
Screw them both. Go my way, i was in the same situation as you, i wanted a pussy ass marshall AVT150H with my Cab(VHT pittbull 30's) and my friend eric finally turned me on to a peavey 5150 II, ill never regret dumping the marshalls and going peavey. the peavey 5150II will take on any amp in this world, it keeps up in sound with all VHT's and yet is at 1/4 the price, 120 watts of pure tube power. definetely keep looking at peavey.
# 3
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
12/21/2003 4:19 am
Well I forgot to mention I only want like a 50watt amp but If they have a combo I'll check it out
# 4
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
12/22/2003 4:05 am
Auctually I might just decide to get a 100 watt amp if I can still use it in my room as a practice amp.
Please someone help me choose an amp that will give me a good dio and maiden tone. I really want a tube amp to and its got to be a combo.
# 5
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/24/2003 2:19 pm
Series effects loop:I dunno what there sposa do but mine has been sitting there for years on the back of my amp waiting for the next owner to finger it out.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/24/2003 5:28 pm
Man...I was looking at a Marshall dsl40...the nice thing with those is that they have got a boost channel thing which is almost like a third channel, so it almost matches the tsl series...In the end I bought a Laney Vc50 combo, 2x12 speakers and full tube...best tone I ever heard, It has it all, and its LOUD.
I play in a hectic sort of post modern industrial thrashcore band (if you will). And I thought for sure I would nees to buy a Boss Od20 distortion twin pedal to keep up with my band...not a chance, it has the heaviest sound I have ever heard, and on the same channel with just a touch of the footswitch it has the most insane classic metal sound...like you are looking for.
I would always go Laney
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.