Yet another crazy scheme

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
11/20/2003 2:34 am
I'm known for crazy guitar ideas, and here is my newest one, which is basically the same thing as my old one, with a few updates, etc. This is the *New* Electronics layout; Keep in mind this is an electric guitar.

[u]*The Pickups* [/u]
* Three Humbuckers- Dimarzio
* Piezo Bridge- Fishman
* MIDI Pickup- Roland

[u]*The On-board Controls*[/u]
* Master Volume
* Master Tone
* One Five-Way pickup switcher
* Three Coil-Splitter Switches (one per pickup)
* Fishman Bridge System (i'll explain later)****
* SHADOW MIDI system, or another system like it.*****

Here's the idea- With this, I can run three signals at once (all three have seperate volume controls-

-1 is on the actual guitar, that is for the 'guitar signal'
-1 is on the SHADOW MIDI controller, which is external
-1 is on the Fishman Piezo Bridge System

I can wire it where up to all three are running at the same time, if i choose to do so, or just one going (for example, if i want to do an acoustic set, i can roll the volume down all the way on my guitar signal and my MIDI signal, all signals will be running at all times btw, and anyways, there are alot of options with that).
What's nice about the Piezo is that with the Fishman piezo (and the system i'll have running it), i can control treble, bass, midd, presence, volume, phase, etc, all in a little 3" by 3" control system, which i'll have implanted into the guitar, right on the surface, for ease of use. I've been looking into more advanced Fishman Bridges (more equalization) as well.

The Idea of the SHADOW MIDI (or a program similar) is that I don't need another footswitch for it, which is nice.

Of course, I still have my UGB running and my effects running pre-volume, pre-tone, allowing me absolute control of my effects...Just in an even more efficient manner, now.

I'm trying to find a system that has internal MIDI, but that also has controls for it, so i wouldn't need a footswitch. Any ideas? What do you think?

~Incidents

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/20/2003 4:07 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
... What do you think?...
In two words: "Option Paralysis"

When Rush concerts became demonstrations in MIDI-controller tap dancing, it was obvious that there should be differences between live and studio performances.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
11/20/2003 5:05 am
I disagree; there is nothing complex about Master Volume, Master Tone, 5-Way pickup selector switches, or 3 guitar pickups; 3 coil splitters, one for each humbucker, yeah that's a little more complex, but it's not that far out there.

I love the sound of an acoustic guitar during certain things, but hate changing instruments; A Piezo bridge is basically sensors under the strings (at the bridge), and the system I'll have on my guitar is basically the same thign you'll find on alot of Acoustic/Electric guitars, at least the Fishman ones (its the same one that's on my current acoustic/electric guitar, the Guild DC-1). I know how to operate it very well, it's not too difficult to work with. The Shadow MIDI system simplifies MIDI in that you don't need a footswitch. It's external, so if I have problems with it, I don't have to send the entire guitar down to the repair shop.

My interest in MIDI comes from the desire to play other instruments, many of which i don't have access to, or can't afford ($2000 saxophone? bah!). I use MIDI on my keyboard all the time, it spurts new ideas out every time i pick it up, there is nothing wrong with expanding your ideas; Now this is another point where we disagree.

Alot of people make the assumption that if you have a MIDI pickup, that you will use it all the time; this is false, for me at least. How many strat-players use the middle single-coil pickup? Close to none. Look, MIDI is just that- another option. If i think a flute solo would sound cool over something, i have the option to play it. One of my favorite guitarists, John Mclaughlin, uses MIDI in the most amazing ways you could imagine, and everything sounds incredibly good. Well, I'm tired.....yawn.......see you guys later.

~Incidents

# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/20/2003 6:34 am
Here's a thought..you could add another tone knob and instead of it just effecting tone you could wire it through the taps so you have open pickups when it's lower and they close up when you crank the tone up. :) Softer tone=acoustic gentleness, higher tone=humbucking power.

Or you could add a 5-way switch set up so that it adjusted the coils, so like with it towards the bridge pickup you would have the bridge pickup humbucking and the neck open, and vice versa. That way you would only need to flip one switch instead of turning all those knobs to do the same thing.

Just a couple ideas, I'm not sure how either of them would work. I can't say I've ever seen either of those anywhere.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/20/2003 6:36 am
my midi setup is as follows:

Roland GK2-AH Pickup
Roland GI20 Guitar to Midi Converter
Roland XV2020 Soundmodule (AMAZING!!)

well - that thing works PERFECT. i can play at virtually every speed and complexity and the thing triggers with almost no flubs. some lil flubs are there, but that depends mostly on the settings of certain sounds. with some sounds you can play even sloopy and you wont get any flubs.

however - you need a device to switch between sounds. so you have to get a midi-fotboard.
you can, however, programm the XV2020 so that you have up to 16 different sounds on your guitar depending on where you are. i divided each string into two sections for example: 0-11th fret - sound no.1
12th-24th fret - sound no. 2
that way i have 12 sounds on my guitar to choose from.
you also need a lil expression pedal for stuff like portamento and such. it requires a lil getting used to and a lot of experimental work, but you cna do amazing stuff with it - just listen to what jenniffer batten did when she was touring with jeff beck. that gurl was a whole frigging orchestra!

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 5
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/20/2003 5:18 pm
I like the idea of having a Fishman in relationship to the standard pick-up configuration.
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that Piezio (sp?) pick-ups are designed to be put under a flat plastic saddle, electric guitars are designed with individual metal saddles. Although I do believe the Parker Fly uses some type of peizio configuration.
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/20/2003 6:11 pm
With the addition of some wheels and an engine you could use it as transport between gigs. Add a toe bar and you could transport the rest of the band, and there gear !

Why not add a MP3 player, a wide screen TV, a DVD player, an armchair and a beer fridge and a whilst you are about it !

And a fallout shelter, and may be .... the kitchen sink!

Dude, the last thing you want to end up with is a turd with no resale value that you blew 5K on.

If you want to play an acoustic, play an acoustic. If you wana incorporate the sound of a trumpet into your sound, hire a trumpet player / use a midi keyboard / Roland ready strat if you must. No need to try and do everything your self in a band type environment !

Changing guitars on stage is easy and what happens if you bust a string ? You are either going to have to have the individual instruments as backups anyway or have two custom axes at twice the price.

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/20/2003 6:31 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
...what happens if you bust a string ?...

Great point, Doc! Unless each string will have a double lyig underneath...
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
SPL
SPL
11/20/2003 6:59 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
If you want to play an acoustic, play an acoustic.

In live situations, most bands will use "acoustic" guitars equiped with piezo pickups, which sound very much like an electric equiped with a piezo pickup. Plus, having both the electric and piezo sound in one guitar is definitely cheaper and easier than having an extra guitarist on stage(with an actual "acoustic") that needs a ride, cigarettes, beer, and food...(not to mention money)

Having a guitar that versatile definitely sounds like a nice idea, though, some might disagree and think it's overkill. But since you don't seem to be planning on using the MIDI stuff ALL the time, I don't see the need in hiring other musicians to take care of those few musical occasions where you do go all out.

Personally, I probably wouldn't know how to handle that kind of amount of possiblities. I think I'd waste all my time searching for new sounds in stead of actually making music. I'm definitely curious as to what kind of stuff you'll come up with if/when you decide to go through with this idea...
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/20/2003 8:07 pm
Ive swapped from electric to (pizo pu) acoustic on stage countless times, it is not a big deal.

I also think that alot of the acoustic simulators are rubbish.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 10
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/20/2003 10:49 pm
Ahh, don't listen to the doc., go for it, it sounds cool!
# 11
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/20/2003 10:53 pm
I agree with the good doctor, acoustic sims aren't always the best option. If you want an acoustic electric you might as well buy one, or at least a hollow-body electric.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 12
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
11/21/2003 4:06 am
Originally posted by chris mood
I like the idea of having a Fishman in relationship to the standard pick-up configuration.
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that Piezio (sp?) pick-ups are designed to be put under a flat plastic saddle, electric guitars are designed with individual metal saddles. Although I do believe the Parker Fly uses some type of peizio configuration.

The difference between an electric bridge and and a piezo bridge is that the piezo has extra sensors that pick up an acoustic sound (if you have the piezo volume up). There's no real difference, other than that.
# 13
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/21/2003 4:36 am
Cool......maybe I'll install them on my guitar. Anything to avoid picking up on of those damn, clunky cowboy guitars onstage. I know the Parkers sounded pretty authentic.
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/21/2003 4:43 am
The best-sounding piezo-bridge setup I've ever heard was a very-solid-body Cort that cost all of $180 CDN! I only had $40 in my pocket at the time, otherwise...
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
11/22/2003 3:07 am
I checked out Godin guitars, i was suprised how much they could fit into a little area!

I do believe that with Piezo's, it's a good idea to get at least 3-band EQ, otherwise it sounds like ****.

I scrapped the "SHADOW MIDI" and in it's place, I have external things- here they are, all roland (i'd do the URL trick Lord, but I forgot how:( )

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=8&subcatid=37&prodid=XV%2D5080

That is my synth module;

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=1&subcatid=4&prodid=FC%2D200

That is my foot-controller;

I got over my hatred for footcontrollers a few weeks ago, and realized that it's better to have my MIDI rig NOT ON MY GUITAR, so that if i break a string on my custom, i can still MIDI it up with my LP (that i will have MIDI installed on).

That being said, that saves a TON of room on my guitar, so now it no longer looks "cramped", so to speak. It has changed a little bit, and here is how i'm working the controls now-

-1 Concentric Volume Pot- Controls Electric Guitar Volume and MIDI Volume. I had my first experience with conentric pots, took a liking to em! The "tall one" will be the guitar volume pot, the "Bottom one" is the MIDI volume. Very logical.

-1 Master Tone Pot - Nuff Said.
=====

The SHADOW MIDI system is monstrous, so getting rid of that saves a ton of room (note that i still have midi), and i'm not adding any pots, just making them more efficient.

I'll keep you updated...

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.