Wah pedal woes...

Displacer
Displacer
11/04/2003 2:16 pm
Hey everyone, I got a Dimebag signature wah pedal about 6 months ago and already something is wrong with it. I had a Jim Dunlop crybaby before that and it also stopped woring one day...but my history with wah pedals aside i was wondering if anyone knew what was wrong with it and how to fix it? I didn't buy it in this country and Dunlop screwed me out of a warranty deal...im pretty lost.

basically when i put the battery (new, and i've tried a 9V plug) and the lead in the input jack the green LED (on) doesn't light up. However, there is a booster function on the side which also has an LED, when I press the booster it lights up fine. But no green LED. I looked inside and saw no loose connections or anything wrong like that that I could see. What should I do? do you think a music store would be able to fix it easily or would it cost an arm and a leg? is there any DIY way of doing it? apart from the fact that its not going on I have no clue what is wrong with it. Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Dispy

ps - forgot to tell you, there is two input sockets...tried both of them and neither are lighting up the green LED.
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/04/2003 5:56 pm
Does the wah work OK? If it does, then it shouldn't be too difficult to find the problem, if you have some tech experience, a multimeter, a soldering iron, solder, desoldering materials and an LED of your choice (if it's the LED that's shot, then you can replace it with a cooler one, like glowing blue!).

Here's what I would do:[list=1]
  • Start a thread on GuitarTricks Forum (I'm being serious). Oh, and maybe start one in Tech Talk ot try to get Lordathestrings' attention.

• Open up the wah and be [u]very[/u] careful to remember where everything went.

• Figure out which points the LED is soldered to.

• If I had a multimeter I would use it to test the leads of the LED. Since I don't, I'd take a battery, two wires and hook them up to the LED.

• [/list=1]
    If the LED didn't light up when I attached it directly to a battery:[list=1]
  • I'd crack open a cold one and get down to business by plugging in the soldering iron.

• Enjoy a few sips while waiting for the iron to heat up.

• Alright, time to get out the desoldering braid.

• Desolder the LED.

• Throw it out and curse Dunlop (although I haven't had my wah bug out on me yet, so they're still in my good books).

• Insert the new LED (I'd get a cool blue one!).

• Use my primitive soldering methods and affix the LED.

• Close everything up.

• Plug in - it's time to test this puppy out!

• Open the whole thing up again when I realize I've done something wrong.

• Finally fix it after multiple attempts.

• Beam in utter joyfulness.

• [/list=1]
    If the LED lit up when I attached it directly to a battery:[list=1]
  • I would panic, since my tech abilities would limit me to replacing the LED, not diagnosing and repairing the actual wah circuitry.

• Frantically post on GuitarTricks demanding assistance.

• Cry like a little baby.

• [/list=1]
    ... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
    # 2
    Displacer
    Displacer
    11/05/2003 4:33 am
    haha thanks for the reply man! unfortunately i dont have any soldering gear or tech experience with those boards :(

Also, the wah doesnt work at all,its not just the LED's problem (at first i thought it was) something is bust in the wah :( not sure what to do with it, it doesnt look likeanything has come loose or anything, its just not workinganymore :( im guessing a tech at a music shop might know what to do but i dont want to have to pay the riches of eygpt to get it fixed :P think im gonna cry like a baby now :P

thanks again though!

Dispy
    # 3
    Lordathestrings
    Gear Guru
    Lordathestrings
    Gear Guru
    11/05/2003 5:12 am
    I now own a mid-70's Dunlop JH-1 wah because my previous unit (which shall remain nameless) quit when I was in no mood to deal with it rationally. I jumped up and down on it (hey, it's a [u]stompbox[/u] right?)!!!

This was not a successful troubleshooting technique, so unfortunately, I do not have any (helpful) personal experience to offer you.

There are reasons that there are service techs in this world - my own theory is that they evolved as nature's response to the genetic perversity that produced incompetent design engineers! :rolleyes:
    Lordathestrings
    Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
    # 4
    Displacer
    Displacer
    11/05/2003 5:50 am
    LOL totally agree :)
    my wah pedal is armoured like a tank as well, dunno why the boards screwed up (which im guessing is the problem) what happened? a piece of dust landed on one of the components so Jim Dunlop decides that if that happens the whole thing will shutdown...damn i dunno, but it is surrounded by steel and shouldnt break so damn easily.

second wah to crap out on me :( damn wahs, might think twice bout using them, but my band has a great song that involves some wah. daggnabbit!

thanks for the advice guys!

Dispy
    # 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.