10/27/2003 1:41 pm
help me
Ded Inside
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
10/27/2003 5:42 pm
Can you please be a bit more vague?

Perhaps you could go to the main Guitartricks page, type in speed in the search enging, and you'll find some good licks to practice. Also, use the forum search for speed to find previous posts on speed.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
andy82
andy82
10/29/2003 10:20 am
Hmmmm... is this a question on how you do them both? Or a question on what technique is better one of the two?

Anyways I guessing that you wanna know what is "better"... so when you play just about anything use alternate for speed, when doing arpeggio runs use sweep.
# 3
kronborg
kronborg
10/29/2003 10:55 am
Ok... Don't know what this dudes into, but I would like to know the difference between Alternate and sweep picking....?!?

:)
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that didn't want to screw to save it's species..
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
10/29/2003 5:42 pm
Alternate picking is picking the first note with a downward stroke, then the next with an upward, next with a downward, next with an upward, and so on. Sweep picking is like picking one time per string, using a single down or upstroke to "sweep" through the strings. It's like a strum almost, but you mute the strings so that only one note rings out at a time.

But please, people, use the SEARCH FUNCTION. This is the 80 millionth time this question has been asked.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 5
skizofriendly
skizofriendly
10/31/2003 5:37 pm
sorry i wanted to know any techniques for doing scales in hugly fast mode. and im getting sweep picking i just cant do them down any suggestions.
Ded Inside
# 6
andy82
andy82
11/01/2003 2:53 am
I suggest mastering the alternate piocking first, and when you're confident and your finger are nimble then have a crack @ sweeping. You need both co-ordination and speed to execute sweep. Although you can practice at very very slow speed, I can imagine you won't last long practicing like that, trust me I did that when I first started guitar. THe boredom kills you before you get somewhere.

It's all upto you now what you want to practice. And if you still wish to sweep use the search function... There has been alot of sweep question in the last few weeks.
# 7
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
11/08/2003 4:41 am
Remember, whatever you practise, whether sweep picking or alternate, start slowly and use a metronome. Otherwise, you'll end up getting into bad habits, which are the hardest ones to break. Do it once, right, I always say.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 8
daveasdf
daveasdf
11/10/2003 2:19 pm
I hate to drag this subject through the dirt one more time, but isn't sweeping sometimes refered to as raking (v. rake)? I lost my rock n roll terminology for dummies book.
# 9
Seiko_Hejiro
Seiko_Hejiro
11/11/2003 9:16 am
Dude,

Of the various exercises you can do for speed and sweeping.

If you want to do a scale really really really fast learn to play it sweeped with legato style. Pretty much sweep the strings but hammer on or pull off every note in whatever you position you are in on the scale string to string. I hope that made sense.

Otherwise, alternate pick everything, do varied scale exercises, use a metrinome and start slowly and build with accurcy and muscles to gain speed and clarity. if you want to end up sounding truely good, work up to it, but always be willing to push yourself in exercises. Like working out, get a routine going practice for at least a half hour a day with straight exercises focus on what you want to be able to do, and go from there.

AS a shredder I can say it worked for me, and it is the most common approach to getting up there in terms of skill and speed.
# 10
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
11/15/2003 1:08 am
Originally posted by daveasdf
I hate to drag this subject through the dirt one more time, but isn't sweeping sometimes refered to as raking (v. rake)? I lost my rock n roll terminology for dummies book.

As far as I know those terms refer to the same technique, although with the terminology that gets passed around on the internet, I'd bet there's someone out there who's made some funky distinction between the two of them.
-And it was good
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/16/2003 5:44 pm
Raking is when you mute the strings and then sweep them. In sweeping, the strings aren't muted. That's not my "funky distinction" that's the actual difference.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 12
JSV
JSV
11/16/2003 7:38 pm
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson
Raking is when you mute the strings and then sweep them. In sweeping, the strings aren't muted. That's not my "funky distinction" that's the actual difference.

Honestly, I've never known there to be a difference?? If there IS an authoritative resorce which offers such a definition, please provide a book title or a link if you could.
(I don't mean to sound argumentative, bro'! I REALLY would like to know, that's all.) ;)

Ever since I've used [it] & taught this technique, I've more commonly referred to it as "raking" or "rake picking". It's possible people use these different terms to help with explaining a dynamic distinction when trying to describe something while "typing" (like on these message boards), where it's more difficult to define dynamics of a piece they're sharing.

For instance; Most newer/younger guitar players seem to believe that "legato" means you don't pick, and that "staccato" means you mute heavy & pick hard (so to speak).
A little study & practice in the application of dynamics could open up a new world & a lot of style for some players when they can ALSO produce "legato" with a pick, and "staccato" without one.
(I certainly MAKE SURE my students learn that!)
Legato [It., bound]

"Played smoothly with no seperation between successive notes; the opposite of 'staccato'..."

"...the term itself does not necessarily imply the absence of articulation, but only a very smooth articulation..."

[Source: Harvard Dictionary of Music]

Sorry my brothers, if I sounded condescending. Just offering an unsolicited perspective...

..."THAT" and 15-bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

~JSV

# 13
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/16/2003 8:14 pm
Mastering Blues Guitar is the book I found the difference between raking and sweeping in.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 14
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
11/16/2003 9:04 pm
Everyone has their 'favoured terms'. Even books conflict. I've come across several music books with lots of conflicting terms and musical ideas. The point is, as a result, lots of terms get mixed up and therefore become interchangeable, like sweeping or raking, different terms for harmonics, stuff like E, Emaj, E M, or E Major, all that stuff.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter anyway, people usually still have an idea of what your talking about.
-And it was good
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.