What does Music mean to you?

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/03/2003 7:10 am
i read that "effects of music" thread and that sortof inspired me to write this thread here.

i wonder.. what does music mean to you?
what effects has it for you if you listen to different kinds of music?
what effects do your favorite songs have on you?
do they just make you happy or make you headbang?
do they move something deep inside you?
do they carry you to another world in your imagination?
how big is the role of music in your life?
etc etc

[Edited by Azrael on 09-03-2003 at 02:35 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 1
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
09/03/2003 7:25 am
is very big burried deep inside of me, pouring out of my ears, it makes me cry and fills me with all emotions i need to feel.
listening to different kins of music just gives a more overwhelming experience different vibe all the time
music is the greatest thing amongst other things its got good and bad effects too like everything and perfect balance
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 2
Gainer
Gainer
09/03/2003 1:35 pm
Music is my way of escaping reality, sometimes at my house my mom and her boyfriend have huge arguments, but if I listen to music I forget about it. And it inspires me to right my own stuff. Sometimtes I can cry,sometimes jump and bang my head.

Music is what saves me.
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 3
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/03/2003 3:39 pm
Music is a dreadful thing in my life. It never leaves my mind, and I can't remember a time of my life that I didn’t hear a tune in my head. Haunting me until I write it out. Some days I absolutely hate it and wish it to go away, some days I love it and cherish it because I know it's a gift. It's just a pain when it comes to having to pay attention to something else in life, I become almost lobotomized to it. It sucks sometimes, and I fear for my mind and life in the future. As for the effect it has on me, it all depends on the music. I’ve never head banged to classical (hehe) nor do I feel happy when listening to metal, unless it’s In Flames. :) But yeah music definitely has an effect on me, like most people it can change your feelings from sad to happy or whatever and when I hear a good song, I’m like “hell yeah”. Yes, it even carries me to a different world in my imagination. It also helps release something deep inside either by creating music or just listening to it. That benefit is my favorite though.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 4
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
09/03/2003 3:45 pm
When I listen to my favourite songs I often imagine myself playing them...what my set would look like, what guitar I would use in an ideal world etc....this is probably the most shallow interpretation of a song but I've done it all my life and I bet there are loads of others who have too, and its not the only way I think about music.

Sometimes I just like pure attitude... I dont really headbang to music like metal or shred, I prefer to move my whole body. In a rock club or at a gig I just go nuts at that sort of thing. When I go for the deep and meaningful I like to move a bit, but often I let the music wash over me rather than get swept up into a hysterical frenzy.

I almost always imagine the scene the music is setting, even if I don't realise it. If a song is based on characters I get a visual image of them and decide what I want them to look like. I like to figure out possible meanings to song-lyrics and instrumental passages, a lot of my favourite bands write songs that improve with every listening because I can find new meanings to them or think of things I didn't think of before. Rush can do that to me with almost any song...

When do I enjoy music the most, thats easy: when I'm driving...anything in my record collection will fire me up. On days when I feel like hell and need to vent some bad-feelings all I need to do is turn the key, put my foot down and whack the stereo up.

If I hear a clever lyric I often find ways to relate it to real life situations. I drive people mad with smart comments sometimes....they probably don't realise I get a lot of it from songs. Without music, I wouldn't be me.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
09/03/2003 8:07 pm
Music is a way for me to get away from everyday life I guess. I play all the time, in whatever mood, which lets me create different types of songs/music. Depending on the song that I listen to, ya sometimes it does trigger something deep inside me that makes me stop and think.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 6
Cody_King
Cody_King
09/03/2003 10:19 pm
Music Seems to be one thing that I can comprehend most,Relate too. Music can mean anything to me, so I guess music would be emotions for me in a way.
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/03/2003 11:32 pm
Music for me is what brings out the hidden self in you.It speaks to your soul.
It most definitley astounds me more than anything else.I usually sit in awe and delve into myself and the nuances of the tune.I guess the result is feeling good.A great metal song keeps me moving.Tense your abs while your sholders,back and head move back and forward with the music...for me its involuntary.Music is somthing EVERY human can enjoy in one form or another Just like food.
Your tastes change(like food),but it is always a big part of your life right up until you pass away...whether it mentally or spiritually goes beyond death is debatable.
Music IS my life and will always be.It is limitless and essential food for humanity.

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
metalisbest
metalisbest
09/04/2003 2:18 am
Music is my life man. I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for it, thats all I really wanna say about it.
# 9
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
09/04/2003 2:32 am
heres two question that might be added to ur list
1.what songs connect with you the most?
2. which ones inspire you in some way to be a better guitar player or a better overall person?

music can be dreadful to me when i hear a song i really want to learn but theres no tabs or i cant figure it pout by ear and it becomes really frustrating..
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/04/2003 4:21 am
Originally posted by ketsueki15
... music can be dreadful to me when i hear a song i really want to learn but theres no tabs or i cant figure it pout by ear and it becomes really frustrating...
...which is why I have such a hard time writing songs. They come to me pretty much all-at-once, a pret-a-porter thing that I have to teach myself how to play!

Music is not the only thing in my life, just one thing that is always there. I always hear music. My own, or someone elses, but it's always there, reflecting/shaping my moods and feelings. I think that, for me, Hell would be a place of total silence.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
09/04/2003 9:27 am
Originally posted by ketsueki15

music can be dreadful to me when i hear a song i really want to learn but theres no tabs or i cant figure it pout by ear and it becomes really frustrating..

When I told my music teacher the most frustrating part about music was not always being able to play what I want to, she told me 'this will always be the case but as you learn more it wont be the case so often.'

Music for me is also about learning and the desire to excell myself past what I believe myself capeable of. Always aim higher than you can go, and thats for life, not just music.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 12
Evo
Evo
09/04/2003 9:47 am
To me it's just good, good sense.
# 13
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/04/2003 9:56 am
Hey how's this for a dedicated member of this forum. It's 5 a.m and I'm on the internet posting on this forum. I probably just need to drink something will a little more alcohol in it before going to bed.

Chacron, yeah man I do that too. Daydream about being a part of the band or just at a live performance. I even do it after I write a song. Sort of daydream and imagine what it would be like to play it in front of thousands of people. Even go into a guitar store and wank on a guitar for 5 minutes and then throw my hands up and scream, "Thank you very much and goodnight". Well the last line is B.S. and just for a laugh. But yeah, I daydream like that a lot when I listen to music.

As for the questions added by ket, I'd say many different types of songs connect with me. When I hear a tune I can usually relate in some manner to the song, even recollect a past memory. Whether it’s sad song, happy, or just off the wall. Second question, all the ones I like. :)

As for troubles with figuring songs out by ear, or writing songs. Just as you practicing scales and chords, you should practice imitating songs or ideas you hear in your head. Probably the most over-looked aspect of being a musician is learning both ends of this straw. Tabs and written music are cheat sheets, try figuring it out by ear first then check and see if it’s right. Heck half the tabs on the internet a wrong anyways. Maybe over-exaggerated but I’ve found quite a few. If you’ve never done it before, start off figuring out easy songs like nirvana songs you didn’t know before, maybe turn on the radio and try to figure out the song, or just think up a simple melody in your head and figure it out. Incorporate this with practicing scales, and whatnot and those problems with definitely evaporate. The reason it’s so tough is you’ve never really used the tool you need in music, your ear. In music, your learning curve will accelerate a lot faster if you use your ear foremost. Trust me.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 14
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/04/2003 11:28 am
I think I have a gift when it comes to figuring out songs by ear...even if I nee to "fish out" the notes,I always get it done.My friend usually makes me listen to a song that he cant find good tab to so I can learn it and show it to him(mostly misfits,greenday,rancid and other punk stuff).

I thought I was alone as far as day dreaming about peforming a show to the song I'm listening to.Of course I picture myself playing and singing up front and just watching huge pits form to the music.I cant count how many times ive thought about standing on a dark stage with only the strobes going ready to play Reign In Blood.
Try once,fail twice...
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.