View post (What does Music mean to you?)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/04/2003 9:56 am
Hey how's this for a dedicated member of this forum. It's 5 a.m and I'm on the internet posting on this forum. I probably just need to drink something will a little more alcohol in it before going to bed.

Chacron, yeah man I do that too. Daydream about being a part of the band or just at a live performance. I even do it after I write a song. Sort of daydream and imagine what it would be like to play it in front of thousands of people. Even go into a guitar store and wank on a guitar for 5 minutes and then throw my hands up and scream, "Thank you very much and goodnight". Well the last line is B.S. and just for a laugh. But yeah, I daydream like that a lot when I listen to music.

As for the questions added by ket, I'd say many different types of songs connect with me. When I hear a tune I can usually relate in some manner to the song, even recollect a past memory. Whether it’s sad song, happy, or just off the wall. Second question, all the ones I like. :)

As for troubles with figuring songs out by ear, or writing songs. Just as you practicing scales and chords, you should practice imitating songs or ideas you hear in your head. Probably the most over-looked aspect of being a musician is learning both ends of this straw. Tabs and written music are cheat sheets, try figuring it out by ear first then check and see if it’s right. Heck half the tabs on the internet a wrong anyways. Maybe over-exaggerated but I’ve found quite a few. If you’ve never done it before, start off figuring out easy songs like nirvana songs you didn’t know before, maybe turn on the radio and try to figure out the song, or just think up a simple melody in your head and figure it out. Incorporate this with practicing scales, and whatnot and those problems with definitely evaporate. The reason it’s so tough is you’ve never really used the tool you need in music, your ear. In music, your learning curve will accelerate a lot faster if you use your ear foremost. Trust me.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.