What style of guitar is best?

kansym
Full Access
kansym
Full Access
01/09/2024 2:35 am

Hello!

I am a beginner trying for probably the 5th time in my life to learn how to play. I am very motivated and am confident that this time it will stick.

However, I only have a simple classical nylon stringed guitar. Is this ideal, less than ideal or does it really matter? I know that there are some significant differences between a classical guitar and a traditional one. I just want to know if I should strongly consider getting a new traditional model to learn on or is it alright to stick with the one I've got. I'm concerned that I might be at a disadvantage or develop poor habits. 

Thank you!

# 1
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
01/09/2024 5:51 am

What genre(s) do you want to play?

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/09/2024 7:34 am

You can learn on any guitar with 6 strings any kind of music. At this point you need to drill in the basics and this can be done on any guitar.

And a nylon stringed instrument like your classical will be the easiest on your finger tips until you build your callouses.

Acoustic guitars with steel strings will require more hand strength, be harder on your finger tips until you get those callouses, but will provide a fuller sound compared to a classical. Bear in mind lots of children learn to play on a steel string acoustic and so can you.

Electric guitars will be almost as easy on your fingers as your classical, provide more flexibility in terms of sound, but require more investment as in amp and cable.

There is no right guitar. I started with 1 and for no good reason now own 20.

If you are itching for a new guitar that's a good enough reason as any, but what you have will help you to develop your skills and build in muscle memory. Guitar is about practice.

Best of luck.

Edit: I should have mentioned that if you do decide to buy a new guitar, which is always a good idea in my opinion, it should be the one that turns you on. You like the color, shape whatever. Whatever gets you excited to pickup that guitar is what matters. Once you have some skills and can sit down with any number of guitars at a music store and go through your "music store" routine of stuff that you can play,  you will find a guitar that just feels right in your hands and is "your" guitar. And you will find you prefer certain neck profiles body types etc. At that point you will be less interested in how it looks vs how it plays.

But before that will happen you need to be able to play at least a little all over the neck.

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/09/2024 11:00 am
#3 Originally Posted by: William MG

You can learn on any guitar with 6 strings any kind of music. At this point you need to drill in the basics and this can be done on any guitar.

And a nylon stringed instrument like your classical will be the easiest on your finger tips until you build your callouses.

Acoustic guitars with steel strings will require more hand strength, be harder on your finger tips until you get those callouses, but will provide a fuller sound compared to a classical. Bear in mind lots of children learn to play on a steel string acoustic and so can you.

Electric guitars will be almost as easy on your fingers as your classical, provide more flexibility in terms of sound, but require more investment as in amp and cable.

If you are itching for a new guitar that's a good enough reason as any, but what you have will help you to develop your skills and build in muscle memory. Guitar is about practice.

Best of luck.

Edit: I should have mentioned that if you do decide to buy a new guitar, which is always a good idea in my opinion, it should be the one that turns you on. You like the color, shape whatever. Whatever gets you excited to pickup that guitar is what matters. Once you have some skills and can sit down with any number of guitars at a music store and go through your "music store" routine of stuff that you can play,  you will find a guitar that just feels right in your hands and is "your" guitar. And you will find you prefer certain neck profiles body types etc. At that point you will be less interested in how it looks vs how it plays.

But before that will happen you need to be able to play at least a little all over the neck.

This year the diet has gone out the window :)

I'm no expert but I suggest being satisfied with the equipment you have.

# 4
kansym
Full Access
kansym
Full Access
01/09/2024 1:11 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Diamond_Dave

What genre(s) do you want to play?

Just about anything I guess. more interested in the technical aspects of the instrument at the moment. I listen and enjoy almost all genres. But appreciate jazz tones the most I suppose. I'd like to develop a strong rhythm technique before I start "soloing" or doing more technical playing. 

# 5
kansym
Full Access
kansym
Full Access
01/09/2024 1:13 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: William MG

Best of luck.

Thank you!

# 6
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
01/09/2024 5:53 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: kansym

Just about anything I guess. more interested in the technical aspects of the instrument at the moment. I listen and enjoy almost all genres. But appreciate jazz tones the most I suppose. I'd like to develop a strong rhythm technique before I start "soloing" or doing more technical playing. 

It sounds like you'd be more than fine using your classical guitar, and then if you decide to pursue jazz later, you can invest in an instrument best suited to that genre.

# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/10/2024 2:41 pm

All good advice here - just wanted to say HI and WELCOME, kansym!

So glad you are going to be learning fun new stuff on and about your guitar!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
kansym
Full Access
kansym
Full Access
01/24/2024 7:58 pm
#8 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

All good advice here - just wanted to say HI and WELCOME, kansym!

So glad you are going to be learning fun new stuff on and about your guitar!

-Lisa

Thank you Lisa

# 9
chumnutzly
Full Access
chumnutzly
Full Access
04/10/2024 11:27 pm

sorry for the late reply, but i had a question about this. so to confirm, i can take the fundamentals course on a classical, acoustic, or electric guitar? I have all three. Leaning towards electric

# 10
chumnutzly
Full Access
chumnutzly
Full Access
04/12/2024 3:48 am

If you are talking to me, then thanks. I havent actually learned anything yet. I have pretty severe adhd and keep procrastinating about starting, lol.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.