3 month Beginner- Not sure what i should practice daily

matthewmerkel00
Full Access
matthewmerkel00
Full Access
11/18/2023 12:29 am

Hi all!

Ive been playing acoustic guitar now for about 3 months, self taught. I went through the guitar fundamentals 1 course but then got bored/ lost patience so i have mostly been on youtube. I can play the 5 major chords and change between them pretty well. 

For the past few weeks my daily practice has been... warm up (spider exercise, chord changes), strumming workout with a simple chord progression. ive been using yousician a bit for their single note melodies to strengthen my finger independence since ill be getting an electric guitar next month.

I feel like im getting into another funk where im doing the same thing everyday and getting bored so i am looking for something new. 

i think it is time for me to get in person lessons because they could see how i play and give me a routine to follow to get better, instead of trying to figure it out myself. 

I would really love some tips to help me keep progressing. 

Thanks, Matt

edited
# 1
chemical_fusion
Full Access
chemical_fusion
Full Access
11/18/2023 8:25 am

Bored after only 3 months ?  Should really just move forward with the lessons until you find something that's keeping you interested ?   Depends what your goals are too. 

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/18/2023 2:35 pm

Yeah, if you are getting bored it's because you aren't doing what interests you, which I assume is learning songs, because why else pick up a guitar.

YouTube has lots of song lessons and of course there are songs here.

Fundamentals is designed to give some insight as to how the pieces fit together, but you don't need that to learn your favorite songs. All you need for songs is an instructor showing you what chords and solos to play. This is totally legit. You play what you want to play.

A tip on instructors. If you do see an instructor and you don't give them a clear idea of what you want out of your time with the guitar, they only have 1option, which is likely going to follow something along the lines of fundamentals, because they have no idea what to do with you. 

For myself, I don't do any of the stuff you do. My hour of practice is all about learning songs, writing songs, learning and writing licks. No warm ups or anything like that. In 5 years I'm not bored yet because I am always working on learning something. Which includes theory btw, because it's important to know what chords and scales go together to write something that sounds sensible.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 8:25 am
#1 Originally Posted by: matthewmerkel00

Hi all!

Ive been playing acoustic guitar now for about 3 months, self taught. I went through the guitar fundamentals 1 course but then got bored/ lost patience so i have mostly been on youtube. I can play the 5 major chords and change between them pretty well. 

For the past few weeks my daily practice has been... warm up (spider exercise, chord changes), strumming workout with a simple chord progression. ive been using yousician a bit for their single note melodies to strengthen my finger independence since ill be getting an electric guitar next month.

I feel like im getting into another funk where im doing the same thing everyday and getting bored so i am looking for something new. 

i think it is time for me to get in person lessons because they could see how i play and give me a routine to follow to get better, instead of trying to figure it out myself. 

I would really love some tips to help me keep progressing. 

Thanks, Matt

Dear Matt

I highly suggest you get full access and have a dedicated "work space". I'm not a promoter for this website but I created a work space/room for myself when I purchased this full access (in which I sleep as well :)) and I have been excited to play the guitar ever since. Please avoid watching endless quick fix youtube videos UNLESS you have your guitar on your lap and are following along. Even then I would highly, highly recommend you invest some money into GT because putting in money adds the needed motivation to keep at it.

Hope you get out of your funk and back into the groove!

# 4
Super Slowhand
Super Slowhand
01/15/2024 3:15 am

I would add to this that really your passion through all of this should be to play music. It just so happens you’ve chosen the guitar in order to pursue that. My first bit of advice is similar to other’s. You first of all need to look within and decide if this is something you want. The reality about guitar or any instrument for that matter is that you’ll ALWAYS be learning. There will always be exercises and practice, practice, practice…at least there will be if you want to expand your abilities. 

Not all learning requires guitar in hand. If you find yourself in a funk, here’s what I recommend:

—Put the guitar down and check your knowledge. Do you know all of the notes on the fretboard backwards and forwards? If not, you need to make that a priority. Use the fretboard trainer here on the site under “Tools” to test your knowledge. Learn a new scale or some chords as well.

—Read a book about great guitarists. I read books on SRV, Clapton and Jimmy Page. 

—Find a simple song that you love and learn to play it well. For me, that’s “Right Turn” by Alice In Chains. It’s a simple acoustic progression and it always gets me fired up. 

First and foremost, you need to have a burning passion to play music. If you think you’re lacking in that I would definitely recommend spending your time on other pursuits. 

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.