View post (3 month Beginner- Not sure what i should practice daily)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/18/2023 2:35 pm

Yeah, if you are getting bored it's because you aren't doing what interests you, which I assume is learning songs, because why else pick up a guitar.

YouTube has lots of song lessons and of course there are songs here.

Fundamentals is designed to give some insight as to how the pieces fit together, but you don't need that to learn your favorite songs. All you need for songs is an instructor showing you what chords and solos to play. This is totally legit. You play what you want to play.

A tip on instructors. If you do see an instructor and you don't give them a clear idea of what you want out of your time with the guitar, they only have 1option, which is likely going to follow something along the lines of fundamentals, because they have no idea what to do with you. 

For myself, I don't do any of the stuff you do. My hour of practice is all about learning songs, writing songs, learning and writing licks. No warm ups or anything like that. In 5 years I'm not bored yet because I am always working on learning something. Which includes theory btw, because it's important to know what chords and scales go together to write something that sounds sensible.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!