New Tutorials - Where do they belong in the grand scheme?

New York Dolls Fan
Full Access
New York Dolls Fan
Full Access
10/26/2023 11:56 am

GT has recently uploaded videos titled "The Pinch Pattern", "8 Bar Blues", "16 Bar Blues", "Open Rock Chords", "Adding Bass Motion", etc. Where in the progression of their lessons do they belong? I don't see anything that says which tutorials preceded them. TIA

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/26/2023 12:53 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: New York Dolls Fan

GT has recently uploaded videos titled "The Pinch Pattern", "8 Bar Blues", "16 Bar Blues", "Open Rock Chords", "Adding Bass Motion", etc. Where in the progression of their lessons do they belong? I don't see anything that says which tutorials preceded them. TIA

There are 3 primary categories of tutorials on GT.

1. Core Learning System. This is an integrated step by step curriculum of lessons that start at absolute beginner. The idea here is to isolate & streamline the curriculum all in one step-by-step process. Start at the Fundamentals, then work through the style course(s).

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

2. Song Catalog. This is all the songs GT has the secured the rights to teach.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php

3. Instructor Directories. These are more specialized topics, sometimes organized in sub-categories. You can view the instructors & their specialty here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php

For example, I have over a thousand lesson on various topics, organized by topic or focus. In general, these are for diving deeper into any given concept or technique. They are not necessary per se to the streamlined core learning system, but will help once a student develops more interest in a certain style or technique.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

Some of these are also listed on the styles pages.  For example, you will learn about acoustic fingerpicking style in the course.  But if you want a deeper dive into that concept & technique you could work through Collin's fingerpicking.  And the blues course covers blues!  But if you want a deeper dive into the possibilities of the style you can work through my 8 and 16 bar blues tutorials.

At any level you should look for songs you enjoy, want to play & are close to your skill level. After all, that's why we learn all these ideas & skills, in order to play music! And that happens in the form of songs!

Quite often in the process of learning a song is when you will discover some new concept or technique that you have to learn in order to play the song & improve your guitar playing in general. Or you find a weak area in your knowledge or skill that needs practice & improvement. That's when the more detailed tutorials can help.

Most importantly, if you have a question about a certain topic, or how to do some skill, please ask! The GT database of lessons is enormous! That's one reason the forum is here, to help you find the resources you desire.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
New York Dolls Fan
Full Access
New York Dolls Fan
Full Access
10/26/2023 1:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, Christopher. I enjoy your lessons and Anders the most. 

# 3
a.romeroa1980
a.romeroa1980
10/30/2023 10:55 am

GT's videos can be a bit scattered in terms of progression, but "The Pinch Pattern" and "Open Rock Chords" are good for beginners. "8 Bar Blues" and "16 Bar Blues" are a bit more advanced, so you might want to try them after you're comfortable with the basics.

# 4
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/30/2023 9:38 pm

Probably a dumb question but, how does one keep current on new content being uploaded to GT site?

edited
# 5
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/30/2023 10:49 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Probably a dumb question but, how does one keep current on new content being uploaded to GT site?

Hi Alias, 

You will see this on the home page under 'Newest Tutorials'

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/31/2023 2:28 am

Well, it was a dumb question after all. Dooooh! šŸ˜£ Thanks, Admin, for pointing out the obvious to me.

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2023 10:56 am
#3 Originally Posted by: New York Dolls Fan

Thanks for the reply, Christopher. I enjoy your lessons and Anders the most. 

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.