Your own style

systemfan
systemfan
06/19/2003 5:31 pm
has anyone came up with their own technique or style.

# 1
Ego
Ego
06/19/2003 7:41 pm
Sure, I have a distinct style and I've developed quite a few new techniques over the last few years. A lot of it is documented at my site as well. Check it all out at Gtr Oblq

http://kronosonic.com

People seem to thing that everything has been done on the guitar already...but the sky is the limit...there is still a lot to be discovered. It comes down to imagination.
# 2
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
06/20/2003 12:11 am
Hmm, hard to tell if I have came up with my own style but I definitly do have a style Ā“cause lotĀ“s of my find can recognize me/my solos. Usualy have some penta licks mixed with alternate shred and some sweeps. Not much tapping though.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
06/20/2003 12:22 am
Every body got his own style ... That's why it never sounds the same when we play the same songs, even if the gear is quite similar.

# 4
Grub
Grub
06/20/2003 7:54 am
i've got pretty wide tastes so my own compositions are a hybrid of country, jazz, funk, folk, blues, flamenco, techno and rock. playing style tends to be a mix of chickin pickin,rockabilly, shred, funk and folk-blues inspired by Satch, Albert Lee, Leo Kottke and Joe Pass. whether it's a godawful mess or not is a matter of opinion.
# 5
theeshredder
theeshredder
06/21/2003 10:55 pm
i strongly agree with ego the skys the limit for guitar,u just need you open up your imagination and try new things.there is still millions of techniqs,theorys,tricks and styles that are hidden behind some frets somewhere out there.so just keep playing and practicing
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 6
jesse sutton
jesse sutton
06/28/2003 3:02 am
i have my own technique, i would say.

I developed a method of using the harmonics over the pickups, and using the pickups themselves as frets, and i have incorporated it into my everyday playing to give it an in teresting sound.

I know every dude has jammed his string into the pickup to "burp", but i kind of made this my own thing, and was able to combine that with other techniques to make it sound like music.
life is all about having sex with beautiful women.
# 7
temper/tantrum/guitarist
temper/tantrum/guitarist
06/28/2003 4:08 pm
Hey: My writing partner and the lead player in my band TEMPER TANTRUM has identified my own playing as having an originality to it. Although I play heavy/hard rock I play with # 48 dunlop picks. ( very light) and I do a kind of sweep flutter pick technique in that I end up with pick's all bent over on the end. The result is some of the riff's I write sound different due to the attack and flutter style I have. I have never seen anyone else use this technique. And very often when I go to guitar stores I am asked to demonstrate how I do the things I do after people hear me play....ROCK FOREVER

# 8
u10ajf
u10ajf
06/28/2003 4:35 pm
Most of what I play on guitar is the product of lots of training to follow particular shapes and of experimentation rather than an attempt to mimic other guitar players. My style is delineated as much by my weaknesses as my strengths, for instance my vibrato is poor when I've bent a note so I use a whammy bar instead and I do tend to fall into the same patterns and lick's cause they're fun.
Generally I play fast rock guitar with lots of pinch harmonics (my speciality) and sweeps. I also like classical sounding fills and intros and wish I could play fingerstyle better but I keep my nails short for tapping.

I have discovered a number of techniques for myself:
Using my right hand thumb to help me tap arpeggios across strings.
Pulling off onto harmonics rather than having to shift way up the neck.
Two handed bends which allow stepwise bends of a 3rd or more.
Tapping with hands swapped round (it's no harder than usual but looks flasher and sometimes it's easier).
Bending a note so it's out of phase to another note and flicking the pickup selector as I bend up and down.
Playing with two picks for a fast tremolo.

I had a kill switch fitted to my guitar so that I can turn my bridge pick up on and off. If the bridge and middle pick up are selected together the effect is less abrupt (some sound remains) and I think it sounds better.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/30/2003 4:06 pm
I thing everyone has their own style.Even two guys who've onlybeen playing guitar for a month won't sound the same,even if both may be generally speaking fumbling.
# 10
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
07/02/2003 4:50 pm
Currently I play in a excesively percusive way. with lots of scratching on the strings, and when this kind of playng goes trough my GNX i sounds very crazy. I like fx a lot. I can play pretty fast but I just do not enjoy it as much as most of the people here do. I am looking forward for the time when I will be able to afford two dozens of stompboxes and pedals ehhh.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 11
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/02/2003 8:10 pm
u10jaf, mind explaining how you play with two picks, and perhaps make a trick with a video/audio clip? Sounds cool, but I can't fathom how you would do it. Thanks
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 12
u10ajf
u10ajf
07/05/2003 5:15 pm
It's easy actually. I hold one pick between my thumb and 1st finger and the other between my first finger and pointer. To get the distance correct you can tilt your hand slightly so that one of the picks (the lower one)is slightly closer to the bridge than the upper pick. If you can do a tremolo with one pick you can, with a little more practice do it with two. I'd record you a sound file but I haven't got that facility on my computer as yet.
# 13
theeshredder
theeshredder
07/10/2003 7:28 am
thats really weird two picks i got to try it but are you picking the same string or different ones when you pick
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 14
u10ajf
u10ajf
07/11/2003 3:10 pm
Different strings! Idon't know what the advantage of using two picks would be otherwise.
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/19/2003 6:02 pm
As u10ajf said earlier, people's style is usually a combination of their strengths and weaknesses.

I sometimes have trouble separating the melody from the chord progression when I hear a piece of music, so when I play it, I tend to try to do both at once. I've been a 'bedroom player' for more time than I've been in bands, so this trait actually fills in some of the holes that are left if I only play one part of a song. And I've never been particularly fast.

The result is that when I'm jamming, I kinda dance from part to part, adding bits here and there around what the others are doing. It's not difficult in a technical sense, but it seems to be unique. My ego is as healthy as anyone's, but I don't feel a need to dominate, so what I do works to enhance the overall sound, and it generally goes over well.

(And I do get a kick out of watching some 100-notes-per-second-super-dude getting tangled up in trying to duplicate some relatively slow stuff that just seems to come naturally to me!) :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
u10ajf
u10ajf
07/20/2003 11:39 pm

(And I [i]do
get a kick out of watching some 100-notes-per-second-super-dude getting tangled up in trying to duplicate some relatively slow stuff that just seems to come naturally to me!) :D [/B]

That guy might well be me. I hate it, hate it hate it! Arghh. I'm going to go back to the "Peter and Jane" approach to guitar playing and learn to read music properly and be a musician instead of just a guitar player!
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.