View post (Your own style)

View thread

u10ajf
u10ajf
06/28/2003 4:35 pm
Most of what I play on guitar is the product of lots of training to follow particular shapes and of experimentation rather than an attempt to mimic other guitar players. My style is delineated as much by my weaknesses as my strengths, for instance my vibrato is poor when I've bent a note so I use a whammy bar instead and I do tend to fall into the same patterns and lick's cause they're fun.
Generally I play fast rock guitar with lots of pinch harmonics (my speciality) and sweeps. I also like classical sounding fills and intros and wish I could play fingerstyle better but I keep my nails short for tapping.

I have discovered a number of techniques for myself:
Using my right hand thumb to help me tap arpeggios across strings.
Pulling off onto harmonics rather than having to shift way up the neck.
Two handed bends which allow stepwise bends of a 3rd or more.
Tapping with hands swapped round (it's no harder than usual but looks flasher and sometimes it's easier).
Bending a note so it's out of phase to another note and flicking the pickup selector as I bend up and down.
Playing with two picks for a fast tremolo.

I had a kill switch fitted to my guitar so that I can turn my bridge pick up on and off. If the bridge and middle pick up are selected together the effect is less abrupt (some sound remains) and I think it sounds better.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?