Metallicrap as MTV Icons

hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
05/02/2003 7:05 pm
I just can't believe it. If you look at Sellout in the dictionary there picture might be there, as long as the royalties were paid to publish it.
I know, I know, I am going to take flak for this one from all the so called "Die Hards" out there, but let's look back on the career and chuckle shall we?

1. Metallica made their name in the San Fran Bay Area when they first started out because people were swapping bootleg copies of their cassettes to their buddies. A few years ago they pretty much single handedly forced Napster out of business for song swapping....Hmmmmmmm

2. Metallica when they first came out said they weren't going to be part of the MTV crowd because they weren't about making videos... Now they are being honored as MTV Icons by the likes of Avril Lavigne and Snoop Dogg. Where do they fit into the Metallica profile?

They should quit while they are ahead, because it's more of a cash cow now than music....

Not only that, I wonder who their influences are this week...

I don't think I will waste my cash on the new album
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 1
METAL MIKE
METAL MIKE
05/02/2003 7:21 pm
Know matter what, sometime in your life you most likely have tried to learn a Metallica song.Alot of ppl blame these guys for selling out.When really there just doing what they want to do . Think of it this way .If you were in the BIGGEST METAL BAND IN THE WORLD and had new musical ideas that came from your heart , wouldet you like use them?. I know if i had the money, i would , wouldent you?
"To bang ,or not to bang your head"
# 2
MikeP.
MikeP.
05/02/2003 7:32 pm
Who gives a crap if they are sellouts. I'm sure in the beginning when they said this and that about selling out and MTV it was well intended. Then they realized that they would starve if they didn't give in. I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank (And not to mention...Bob Rock is quite expensive and Metallica need to make back the money for that).

As far as the crap opening bands for them...on their part it's a smart move..as they will have a new fan base that they would not normally have (people who would not normally listen to their music). Pluss not to mention the millions of "Die Hards" out there that will attend regardless of who's opening for them.

The new album St. Anger is going to be heavy and definately their loudest album EVER! I've been following the development of the recording of the album since the beginning. And when the album is out it will come with a FREE live DVD for the cost of one C.D. (You get both).

And just last night Metallica put on a "FREE" show at San Quenten State Pentatentery (spelling...(it's the local prison). How many bands would do that??????

I'll be 31 this month on the 29th and have been a Metallica fan since my early teens (And followed them before they were even well known).

Put yourself in their shoes and ressed assured if you were given the chance...you would do the same...or starve and prolly maybe 2 albums at the most. Just because they have "Sold Out"! Does not mean that they don't write and record what is not "Commercially" acceptable on their own time.
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/02/2003 11:35 pm
Master of Puppets hit the billboard without any support from vids or MTV.
Justice album was excelently selling copies worldwide.

The problem is that they sold out while they were already progressing increadibly , so the question is why selling out and diverting the whole metal scene's direction while they could have kept it old school with just modern production and recording ?

Although Load was a minor dissapointment, and ReLoad was more dissapointing , but rapping with JA rule was realy "unforgiven". ;)

As I always say , I hope St. Anger would be great and rebut everything I've said , but the atmosphere isn't realy promising.
# 4
AndyP
AndyP
05/03/2003 12:14 am
I just don't think they are selling out. While I agree with a lot of the concerns about the direction Metallica seem to be heading in, at least they are out there trying new things. If they carried on doing the same thing over and over again (like AC/DC), people would accuse them of getting boring and repetitive. It was the same inventiveness and willingness to try something different that made them rap with JA Rule (!!!?!??!?!!) that made them the kings of metal in the first place. I don't hold out much hope for the next album though.....
# 5
MikeP.
MikeP.
05/03/2003 12:49 am
Don't blame Metallica, Blame the suits; the people that employ them (The record company).
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 6
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/03/2003 3:02 am
Metallicrap... good one. Well, not really.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 7
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/03/2003 11:32 am
Their top 2 albums (justice & master) are very distinct , and each one has it's own charactar that made it that great ... They didn't have to keep with their tone and old riffs and be compared to AC/DC , they could just have made music with the same strength.

Although I'm not realy dying to hear a new solo from Hammett (although he was one of my main influences) , but I don't think I can stand a metallica album without some "at least" crappy solos !
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/03/2003 3:13 pm
didnt like em then, dont like em now, dont know what the fuss is about !
gime some good old fashiond Moterhead any day !

Just my 2c
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 9
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
05/03/2003 7:32 pm
I still feel the went swirling down the drain the day they joined the MTV generation....
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 10
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
05/04/2003 4:38 pm
Originally posted by AndyP
I just don't think they are selling out. While I agree with a lot of the concerns about the direction Metallica seem to be heading in, at least they are out there trying new things. If they carried on doing the same thing over and over again (like AC/DC), people would accuse them of getting boring and repetitive. It was the same inventiveness and willingness to try something different that made them rap with JA Rule (!!!?!??!?!!) that made them the kings of metal in the first place. I don't hold out much hope for the next album though.....

Exactly, this is where bands get into the danger area - when new things get tried out there's always a risk that some fans won't like it. But personally I'd rather bands went down the 'lets experiment' road that churned out the same albums over and over and over (no names will be mentioned here) because if I find myself listening to the same albums I lose interest in a band, but if I don't like the new experimental stuff I think 'well at least they tried, lets wait and see what they come up with next. Bands who try new things get practically infinte second-chances with me.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 11
MikeP.
MikeP.
05/04/2003 5:58 pm
I guess this can be summed up as "You can't please everyone" :-)
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.