Amp Question

spanky10940
spanky10940
03/18/2003 5:29 pm
Ok, moving on in my guitar life and it's time to spend a few bucks a buy a good amp.
So far my choices are:
The Fender Cyber Deluxe
The Line 6 Spider 212

The reason I'm choosing between the 2 is that I'm not really sure WHAT kind of music I wanna play. I tend to roam between blues and rock into metal and some alternative stuff. I figured that the versatility of these would give me a better range.
Here's where the opinion/experience part that all of you have comes into play. What does everyone think of those amps?
I can get the Spider used (in GREAT condidtion for $300)
and the Fender cyber deluxe is brand new at $700...

thoughts, other amp suggestions?

"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/19/2003 9:20 pm
I have no experience with the Line 6, but Fenders have a sweet full sound, and are THE amp for blues. That is how I based my decision on buying my new amp. I'm going for the Fender.(Especially their tube amps)
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
spanky10940
spanky10940
03/20/2003 3:33 pm
Ok, so how about a part 2 of the question...
I've also been reading everything that I can get my hands on about this and it's all Greek to me!

Can anyone suggest some things that i want to look for, may want or need in an amp? i'm not sure about channels, ports and whatever else goes into this.. even a good site that has "amps for dummies" or something......
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 3
zepo
zepo
03/24/2003 1:46 am
Ok, if you want Reallly great tone then nerf the hybrids and go for a vintage tube fender, like round 65 or so. One of my buds grabbed a 65 vibrolux i believe it is for only 900 bucks! wanted to kick him in the goonies after i heard that. But between the two amps your looking at umm i havent' personally screwed around with either of 'em and i'm not a big fan of fenders solid states, and even though that's a hybrid....meh just try 'em out at the store and pick which one sounds best to you. If i was you though i'd save up and get a marshall half stack, jcm 2000 dsl head (100 watts not that new 50 watt crap) with one of those new mod four cabs so ya could really crank it, oh and tube the dsl it with some good groove tubes and.....there i go rambling again. but yeah just go to the store and try them out, jam on each one for a good 30 mins to two hours and try out all the settings see which one fits you the best.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 4
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
03/24/2003 4:42 am
A buddy of mine from an old 80's hairband.www.julliet.com uses a Line 6 half stack. They got a great tube sound for something that doesn't have a tube in it. But he will still to this very day swear by his modified Marshall's that he uses for recording.
Anywhoo....The Spider 212 is a great amp, but for a little extra you can now get the Flextone II model which is even better. They drop a few hundred bucks to $599 or less. I saw them the other day at American Music in Orlando for $499.

So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 5
GregoryB
GregoryB
03/26/2003 10:03 pm
If you want versatility, go line6. Their modeling technology is quite good. Let me put it this way: The fender can do one thing really well, but the line 6 can do EVERYTHING almost as well. If you want versatility, line6 is truely the way to go.
Also, for $300 I'd jump on it (doesn't it retail like $600?). If I were you I'd actually go a step further and get a flextone II or III. Or go crazy and buy a vetta. You can roam all over the musical world with one of those. But if you get a vetta, you have to let me play it :D
# 6
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
03/27/2003 6:31 am
I would never go solid state again. You can try to emulate and in some cases get close but your not going to get that warm thick tube sound. Question is that if solid state is so good then why do they try to sound like tubes....well the answer is that thier more affordable economically smaller but still, GO TUBES!
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 7
Justin8426
Justin8426
04/21/2003 8:12 pm
I have to agree with polera on this one, although the line 6 would give u many more options, i have played solid state for a while now, and I hate myself for not buying a tube amp, even if it costs you a little extra, and you have to wait a month or two more, get the tube amp.
~Justin
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
04/21/2003 11:49 pm
After you get the tube amp, just buy effects for it. Like one of those Boss pedals or something similar.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/22/2003 1:37 pm
Well, here's the end of this story...
I went to the local music store and plugged into everything that wasn't moving and found that, yeah, tubes do sound much better. The line 6 was pretty nice too and had a great blues/jazzy kinda smooth tone to it. Have to say though that I'm going with the Fender Cyber Deluxe. It's a solid state amp that just does everything you could want and I think the damn thing even makes espresso! You can model about 30-40 different amps with it... lot's to learn on this one.

Check it out and if anyone else has ever played it, please let me know what you think. Pro's / Con's.
http://www.fender.com/cyber/index.php

thanks again for all the replys... really does help to get others opinions.
thanks.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.