How do I cure eft hand "death grip"

johns33031
Full Access
johns33031
Full Access
05/03/2023 6:47 pm

I'm having a hard time learning how to lighten up the grip on my left fingers. It's preventing me from moving chord to chord. Is there a way to unlearn this habit  ?

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/03/2023 7:35 pm

I picked up the same bad habit many decades ago.  I work on it every practice day, mostly by telling myself to 'relax, relax, relax.'  That includes trying to press on the fretboard as lightly as I can while still getting a clear note(s) and ensuring that all of my body is relaxed; arms, neck, shoulders, gritting teeth, etc..  I think proper posture and guitar position plays a role too.  In my case, an 'inexpensive' guitar at the very beginning of my journey was a nasty one to play and was probably at the root of my problem. Things improved when I went electric.  A better set up or even an 'easier' guitar might bring some positive results for you, too.  But now I have a trio of high-quality guitars and still lapse into the death grip from time to time.  It's a bad habit that's hard to break.

The tension/tight grip is troublesome, wrong, and gets in the way of improvement and speed.  Hopefully some instructors and other pro's here will have some additional advice for both of us.

A very late edit:  A strap.  Alway use a strap.  It you're not using one now, do so.  It'll relieve the effort of holding the guitar with the fret hand.

john

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
au.st.in.patrick711
au.st.in.patrick711
05/17/2023 11:30 am

The "death grip" on the left hand refers to excessive tension or pressure applied when gripping the guitar neck, which can hinder fluid movement and make it difficult to transition between chords. Here are a few tips to help you unlearn this habit and lighten up your grip: Awareness: Begin by consciously recognizing when you are applying excessive pressure with your left hand. Pay attention to the sensations in your fingers, and make a mental note of any tension you feel. Relaxation exercises: Practice relaxation exercises for your hand and fingers before playing the guitar. Simple stretching, flexing, and shaking exercises can help release tension and prepare your hand for a lighter grip. Finger independence: Focus on developing finger independence and strength through targeted exercises. This will allow you to maintain a lighter touch on the fretboard while still producing clear notes. Incorporate exercises that isolate each finger and promote dexterity. Light touch practice: Set aside some time specifically for practicing with a lighter touch. Start by playing each chord slowly, consciously reducing the pressure applied by your left hand. Gradually increase your speed while maintaining a light grip. The goal is to retrain your muscles to hold the strings down just enough to produce a clean sound. Proper finger placement: Ensure that your fingers are positioned correctly on the frets, close to the fret wire. By placing your fingers closer to the frets, you'll require less force to produce a clear sound, and it will naturally encourage a lighter grip.

# 3
pauledwrdz
Full Access
pauledwrdz
Full Access
06/10/2023 11:00 pm

I'll second the strap but the right kind as well. Some straps will slip on your shoulder. I just recently purchased a few Levis leather straps and they made a big difference. They don't slip at all. Made a big difference in how I hold my guitar. 

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/13/2023 3:24 pm

Hi johns33031,

I second all of the above suggestions.

As a teacher, I see the "death grip" frequently - and try to help my students unlearn the tendency to work way too hard to create a chord.

True, if your guitar itself is difficult to play due to high action, then nothing but a death grip will give you the tone you are looking for.

But assuming your guitar is in good shape, it comes down to stabilizing the instrument (the strap suggestion), and becoming meditatively mindful of all of the places where you are holding excess tension: the fingers, the palm, the wrist, the forearm, the shoulders. The breath - are you breathing with ease while playing, or are you holding your breath?

Also, spend some time experimenting with fretting a single note, and see how LITTLE muscular effort you can put into it, and still get good tone. That is the sweet spot. With mindful practice, your hands and upper body will learn that they really don't have to work as hard as they thought they did. 

Have fun - you're on the right track! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
mikhael.kohen
Full Access
mikhael.kohen
Full Access
12/24/2023 7:45 am
#1 Originally Posted by: johns33031

I'm having a hard time learning how to lighten up the grip on my left fingers. It's preventing me from moving chord to chord. Is there a way to unlearn this habit  ?

Resist the Dark Side and embrace the Force. That should hep relieve the death grip. Sorry, couldnt resist. 

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.