Notation with two or more guitars - SUGGESTION

tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/27/2023 4:06 am

IMPORTANT EDIT:

I might be super wrong here and maybe this is the well known system in music notation that is used worldwide and this is why guitartricks uses it as well... and I am just not aware of it.

(this is only for the learning parts as JAM ALONG and FULL PERFORMANCE should follow the current system which makes sense; as a song goes you want to see what is played at what time )

This is the second time I am trying to post it... The first time I have decided NOT TO in the end because I have finally understood why this format is used. It is hard otherwise/makes sense when you want to show which part is played at what time with a song being played in the background.

I want to delete this again as I feel I might be completely wrong... but then again... This is the second time that I have decided to write about it so maybe there's something to it and somehow it will help and improve the teaching system here. This is the sole reason I am leaving this post and not deleting it.

I think the current notation system is good enough but could be improved with the learning/segmented parts where you learn parts of the song.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that the notation with 2 or more guitars is super annoying.

It should not be shown/taught at the same time = making it super hard to follow when you learn

Every single time you want to learn further part of a song you have to scroll down and look for guitar 1 or 2 or 3 because it all looks like unorganised mess/

Guitar 1 - part 1      bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 2 - part 1      bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 3 - part 1      bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 1 - part 2     bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 2 - part 2      bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 3 - part 2      bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 1 - part 3     bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 2 - part 3      bla bla bla bla bla

Guitar 3 - part 3      bla bla bla bla bla

etc.

I have no idea why this is the format that Guitartricks uses but it's utterly annyoing and hard to follow. It should be taught/shown as a complete thing

For example,

Guitar 1 - part 1     bla bla bla bla bla

- part 2      bla bla bla bla bla

- part 3      bla bla bla bla bla

- part 4

- etc.

- the end.

then

Guitar 2 - part 1     bla bla bla bla bla

- part 2      bla bla bla bla bla

- part 3      bla bla bla bla bla

- part 4      bla bla bla bla bla

- etc.

- the end.

and so on.

There could be an interactive button that could show only selected guitar track to learn to choose from but this is really unnecessary. The simple and logic format above is more than enough.

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes (this forum won't let the spellchecker work... not even the mouse button two window option.... making it super hard on non-natives and I can't be arsed to go and check everything somewhere else and then come back here again just to post ... I come here to learn the guitar and practise but the site needs lots of improvements which I hope (not much really... as reported problems from years back have still not been fixed or taken care of... but still.... ) will be implemented soon/

Hopefully this will somehow help and improve the system/

edited
# 1
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/27/2023 10:00 am

Oh yea... I am definitely glad that I have not deleted the post this time as it REALLY is super inconvienient and annoying the way it is now...

This is what is required to make sense of the notation at the present time (or just go look somewhere else or use paint to stich all parts manually together etc. ) ... 

I was only able to get away ( actually I did not as I have found out there was one more guitar 2 part lol... ) with it because the solo section is rather short. The longer ones need manual stitching or I don't know... maybe someone else will come up with something better but... really...

I think the interactive button/switch system where you could show all guitar parts or only selected for exmaple, GUITAR 1/GUITAR 2/GUITAR 3/etc.

I don't know... Maybe I am the only one bothered with this thing... in that case please ignore me wholeheartedly :)

edit:

another way I have just found out

If you use pc you might be lucky enough to use PAGE UP & PAGE DOWN buttons on your keyboard to move between guitar parts rather easily. You just have to preadjust the notation page and move with page up&down buttons (just the same way you do it with normal websites: the notation page is like a website within another bigger website) to skip to another parts.

edited
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/27/2023 12:09 pm

"I think the interactive button/switch system where you could show all guitar parts or only selected for exmaple, GUITAR 1/GUITAR 2/GUITAR 3/etc."

Thanks for your suggetsion.  I'm not sure how much or willing GT would be in completely changing the layout.  It is the industry standard way of displaying notation.  But this particular suggestion might be something to work on for future improvements.

Thanks!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/28/2023 9:04 am
#3 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

"I think the interactive button/switch system where you could show all guitar parts or only selected for exmaple, GUITAR 1/GUITAR 2/GUITAR 3/etc."

Thanks for your suggetsion.  I'm not sure how much or willing GT would be in completely changing the layout.  It is the industry standard way of displaying notation.  But this particular suggestion might be something to work on for future improvements.

Thanks!

"It is the industry standard way of displaying notation." - yea this is what I thought. It makes sense because it shows what is played at which moment and if there is another guitar that is being played at the same time... One notation below another one seems like a way to go; to show that both guitars are played at the same time, share the same timespace/

The lessons could be seperated from one another and not crammed up all together but again... some GUITAR 2/GUITAR 3 parts are so short that making a seperate videos just for them is pretty much pointless... + it would still have to be shown somehow when it is played in relation to another guitar part, for example, GUITAR 1.

The room for improvement is there but... it is way too complicated and it would have taken too much effort, time, etc.

I guess manual stiching all GUITAR 1/GUITAR2/GUITAR 3/etc. parts in a continuous manner in paint is a way to go for now :)

The earlier mentioned PAGE UP & PAGE DOWN buttons on keyboard and PC work quite well with two GUITARS as well.

Thank you for your input, CHRIS/

Have a good one/

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.