Multi-effect ? or..

Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
02/18/2003 5:06 am
Hey guys

I was thinking on getting multi-effects gadgets. Whis is better? Multi-effect or single stormbox? Digitech, POD,zoom,boss which is better in terms of sound quality and technically better in long term effect.

And also Dunlop crybaby wah..is it worth the cost buying? any help will be appreciated
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2003 1:01 pm
Iā€™m using Digitech GNX2 (for effects / amp modeling) and a line6 Pod pro (amp modeling), I think both are very good.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
02/18/2003 1:59 pm
Geez..thanx a lot. A friend of mine too use Digitech(no idea of the model), he too said it is good, there's a punch in the sound. I thinked he bought it for 600 bucks (man, way above my budget lol:D )
But i learned that when one of the sound in the multi-effect gets spoiled, it will affect other sound. And will cost a bomb in fixing it. Is it true? What do you all think? :confused:
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2003 2:25 pm
I went multi and never went back.
I still can't believe I used to have about 10 pedals all wired to a board with either a bunch of 9 volt batteries or a bunch of huge power supplies taking up most of the room.
The best thing about multieffects pedals for me is the midi.
When your drummer is experience in keeping time to a click track, you can pre-program all your changes ahead of time and never have to remember which pedals to hit.
# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/18/2003 3:01 pm
I havent bought new gear in terms of multieffects in a long time.. the problem i have with my old one is that there is a huge gap when you switch between two sounds - that was also the reason for many of the guitarrists that i know to stay analog. has that changed with the new ones?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2003 4:52 pm
Not sure...
I'm still using a pretty old Boss ME-5 and it switches fast enough that I can put several patch changes into a song & there's no perceptible delay. Using it with midi makes it a lot easier tho... you know exactly when the patch change happens so you can anticipate it ahead of time.
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/18/2003 7:28 pm
I guess it depend on the guitarist and the versatility in terms of tone & style he want from his rig.
If you like simple sounds like only one type of distortion can satisfy you , go with stomp boxes .

If you want totaly versatile & different sounds , get a multi-effect unit ... It's easier to controle your effects loops , change their order , etc. than having to handle all those nasty wirings & A/B switch boxes.

Personaly , I first started with stomp boxes , I had a DOD DeathMetal dist pedal & a JHS CryBaby wah-peda copy ... Then I got the Boss GT-3 , and I rarely use my dist pedal anymore.

The disadvantage of most multi-effect units is the crapy wah-pedals they've got (for all brands including Boss & Digitech) ... I've never liked wah sounds that are different from the original crybaby.

In Brief :
==========
Multi-effects : Cheaper , more complicated and versatile sounds , takes sometime to learn how to program it for the optimum tone , simpler wiring.

Stomp Boxes : More expensive , simple (not realy versatile) sounds , easy tweaking for the optimum tone , wiring gets complicated as you get more pedals .
# 7
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
02/19/2003 1:29 pm
Ok..thats a lot of help i have here. Thanx a lot again! Now then i can make a better decision :)
# 8
ROCKIN40
ROCKIN40
02/28/2003 11:58 pm
Line 6 just recently came out with a new version of the POD. Blows the last version away. I think anyone who plays guitar should own one. Portable and you can Jam your a-- off in the hotel room and not bother the people who actually go to a hotel to sleep! It's hard to beat the CryBaby. Shop around for best price. But Boss and Zoom are really popular right now. Go to the Music store and try them out. It's really about how user friendly the unit is, then the sounds. If it's too complicated you wont use it, no matter how awsome the effects. Who reads instructions?
"DO IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT"
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.