please help with neo classical chord theory

flash2ace
flash2ace
02/12/2003 2:52 am
please guys if you know much about neo classical please help out any suggestions are great. thanks
play music unto the lord in a manner of praise.
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
02/12/2003 6:07 pm
Neo-classical chord theory is about the same as classical chord theory, but it uses progressive instruments such as the electric guitar, bass, drums, etc. Check out progressive arrangements of old classical songs for example. Someone (forgot who at the moment) redid Beethoven's 5th with distorted guitars, and it sounds awesome! I've heard some of Bach's two part inventions, Paganini's caprices, and other songs, even Flight of the Bumblebee played on guitars.

If you need to learn chord theory in general, take the theory lessons on this site and look up chord progressions on other sites. Mainly in a minor key, the most prominent feature is the use of harmonic minor to achieve a V - i cadence. You can use the circle of fifths as well to create tension. Here's an easy progression which can be neoclassical sounding if you play it right... Am, E, G, D, F, Esus4, E. Played with correct voice leading, you have a chromatically descending bass line that sounds pretty classical...
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
02/15/2003 9:38 pm
You can use Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor and Diminished scales to solo with.
By the way, I think it was Steve Vai who did Beethoven's 5th symphony with the guitars and stuff.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.