NGD ...My first Gretsch!


manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425

Never thought I'd find myself buying any guitar from Fender Corporation, but purpose driven I relented and so just bought my first Gretsch. Happy September to me! 

NGD excitment never gets old whether seven or seventy, your first guitar or twenty first so couldn't help but post and share the moment into the Guitar Tricks aether.


After listening to and mulling over the Black Top Filter'Trons for a while, I decided those pickups would fit my purpose, I vascillated between Gretsch's G5230T in a resplendent Black somewhat in the poor man's image of George's '57 Duo Jet "first good guitar", and its sibling G5232T double cut in a rather fetching Dark Cherry Metallic.

Pressed the buy button last Friday and received it earlier today. Still in that 'just married' honeymoon glow phase. Guess which one won?!!


# 1
Rumble Walrus
Full Access
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 311

I picked up a 5655TG last year. My first electric guitar purchase since 1982.  Love it, but it makes me lust for more... ;)


# 2
manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425
#2 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

I picked up a 5655TG last year. My first electric guitar purchase since 1982.  Love it, but it makes me lust for more... ;)

A rather nice back to guitar reintro. Which colour did you choose?


# 3
Drake the Red
Full Access (Full Addict)
Joined: 10/12/11
Posts: 317

Hey,


This was from this month's guitarist magazine....Behold the G6636T-RF Falcon!


https://gretschguitars.com/features/richard-fortus


Oooh, baby!!


Wow, it's 2023 already? Time goes fast.

# 4
manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425
#4 Originally Posted by: Drake the Red

Hey,


This was from this month's guitarist magazine....Behold the G6636T-RF Falcon!


https://gretschguitars.com/features/richard-fortus


Oooh, baby!!

Rather nice, but much like the other Signature models, e.g. Country Gentleman, a tad expensive for my need. Love the white really suits the shape aesthetically. I recall I was mighty impressed with the tones of this model Gretsch when I watched this a few years ago. Very nice unit.


# 5
Rumble Walrus
Full Access
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 311


# 6
Rumble Walrus
Full Access
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 311

Hopefully the picture made it.  Aspen green with gold hardware.  A bit flashy but it caught my eye.


# 7
Rumble Walrus
Full Access
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 311
#4 Originally Posted by: Drake the Red

Hey,


This was from this month's guitarist magazine....Behold the G6636T-RF Falcon!


https://gretschguitars.com/features/richard-fortus


Oooh, baby!!

Definite lust here...


# 8
Drake the Red
Full Access (Full Addict)
Joined: 10/12/11
Posts: 317

I rarely sell out to custom guitars, either, but every guitarist yearns for unattainable instruments. Not certain why, though, we fall into that trap!


Here's my go to baby, though, a Queen among peasants


https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/lead/player-lead-iii/0144313505.html


Wow, it's 2023 already? Time goes fast.

# 9
Drake the Red
Full Access (Full Addict)
Joined: 10/12/11
Posts: 317
#7 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Hopefully the picture made it.  Aspen green with gold hardware.  A bit flashy but it caught my eye.

Can't see the pic yet, sadly, under the new website update. 


Wow, it's 2023 already? Time goes fast.

# 10
manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425
#7 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Hopefully the picture made it.  Aspen green with gold hardware.  A bit flashy but it caught my eye.

No image visable yet Rumble. But I'll go check it out on Gretch's website.


# 11
manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425
#9 Originally Posted by: Drake the Red

I rarely sell out to custom guitars, either, but every guitarist yearns for unattainable instruments. Not certain why, though, we fall into that trap!


Here's my go to baby, though, a Queen among peasants


https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/lead/player-lead-iii/0144313505.html

The link you provided loaded in Olymic White for me Drake. Right colour?

Individually selectable PUP splittable feature ✔️...and sweet Alnico II tones. Very tasty. 


# 12
Drake the Red
Full Access (Full Addict)
Joined: 10/12/11
Posts: 317
#5 Originally Posted by: manXcat

Rather nice, but much like the other Signature models, e.g. Country Gentleman, a tad expensive for my need. Love the white really suits the shape aesthetically. I recall I was mighty impressed with the tones of this model Gretsch when I watched this a few years ago. Very nice unit.

I love the homage to Michael J Fox playing Johnny B.Goode, even if their guitars' aren't the original Gibson ES-445 seen in Back to the Future


Wow, it's 2023 already? Time goes fast.

# 13
Drake the Red
Full Access (Full Addict)
Joined: 10/12/11
Posts: 317

@manXcat, Olympic White, that's my dream guitar, made reality. A genuine Beauty and the Beast!


Wow, it's 2023 already? Time goes fast.

# 14
Rumble Walrus
Full Access
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 311

👍


# 15
manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425

I see the image today. 👍 


# 16
Drake the Red
Full Access (Full Addict)
Joined: 10/12/11
Posts: 317

Me too. I've never been into semi-hollow before, but this has piqued my interest  ðŸŽ¸ðŸ‘


Wow, it's 2023 already? Time goes fast.

# 17
Rumble Walrus
Full Access
Joined: 12/30/20
Posts: 311

My initial plan was to get a Gibson 335 or similar but I saw this sweetheart hanging on the wall at my local music store, pulled it down, played it and fell in love.  My first electric guitar purchase in almost 40 years.  It's not the greatest thing Gretch ever made, but it fits me just fine right now.


# 18
manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425
#18 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

My initial plan was to get a Gibson 335 or similar but I saw this sweetheart hanging on the wall at my local music store, pulled it down, played it and fell in love.  My first electric guitar purchase in almost 40 years.  It's not the greatest thing Gretch ever made, but it fits me just fine right now.

The G5xxx series Gretches are certainly a sweet value point. Nothing at all shabby about them. Might be made in China, but the finish and build quality can't be faulted. Very nice initial return to guitar purchase. I like it.

I had most bases covered, owning no centre block or semi-hollow up until the beginning of this year. I'd always meant to add something ES-339 or ES-335 to my tone palate, but didn't get around to it until this year when I bought an ES-335esque Ibanez AS-93FM. Both around the same money, but I liked the Ibanez's Super 58 pickups better.

I like a number of Gretsch models, but even if humble BlackTops, wanted the Filtertron tone rather than the Broadtrons, and the marginally smaller bodied chambered double cut won my heart over the single cut. It's suprisingly heavy though. I did expect it to be lighter. Lighter than my mahogany Harley Benton SC Custom (Les Paulesque Custom clone), but on a par with my solid body RS420 Revstar and similar tot the AS-93FM . Just going by feel haven't weighed it yet. Glad it's chambered. Quite impressed with Gretsch. I can see why they have a fan base.    

 







# 19
manXcat
Full Access
Joined: 02/17/18
Posts: 1,425

Edit: Failed image upload deleted


edited

# 20