View post (NGD ...My first Gretsch!)

View thread

manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/06/2022 7:00 am
#18 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

My initial plan was to get a Gibson 335 or similar but I saw this sweetheart hanging on the wall at my local music store, pulled it down, played it and fell in love.  My first electric guitar purchase in almost 40 years.  It's not the greatest thing Gretch ever made, but it fits me just fine right now.

The G5xxx series Gretches are certainly a sweet value point. Nothing at all shabby about them. Might be made in China, but the finish and build quality can't be faulted. Very nice initial return to guitar purchase. I like it.

I had most bases covered, owning no centre block or semi-hollow up until the beginning of this year. I'd always meant to add something ES-339 or ES-335 to my tone palate, but didn't get around to it until this year when I bought an ES-335esque Ibanez AS-93FM. Both around the same money, but I liked the Ibanez's Super 58 pickups better.

I like a number of Gretsch models, but even if humble BlackTops, wanted the Filtertron tone rather than the Broadtrons, and the marginally smaller bodied chambered double cut won my heart over the single cut. It's suprisingly heavy though. I did expect it to be lighter. Lighter than my mahogany Harley Benton SC Custom (Les Paulesque Custom clone), but on a par with my solid body RS420 Revstar and similar tot the AS-93FM . Just going by feel haven't weighed it yet. Glad it's chambered. Quite impressed with Gretsch. I can see why they have a fan base.