NGD ...My first Gretsch!

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
10/08/2022 11:09 pm
#19 Originally Posted by: manXcat

The G5xxx series Gretches are certainly a sweet value point. Nothing at all shabby about them. Might be made in China, but the finish and build quality can't be faulted. Very nice initial return to guitar purchase. I like it.

I had most bases covered, owning no centre block or semi-hollow up until the beginning of this year. I'd always meant to add something ES-339 or ES-335 to my tone palate, but didn't get around to it until this year when I bought an ES-335esque Ibanez AS-93FM. Both around the same money, but I liked the Ibanez's Super 58 pickups better.

I like a number of Gretsch models, but even if humble BlackTops, wanted the Filtertron tone rather than the Broadtrons, and the marginally smaller bodied chambered double cut won my heart over the single cut. It's suprisingly heavy though. I did expect it to be lighter. Lighter than my mahogany Harley Benton SC Custom (Les Paulesque Custom clone), but on a par with my solid body RS420 Revstar and similar tot the AS-93FM . Just going by feel haven't weighed it yet. Glad it's chambered. Quite impressed with Gretsch. I can see why they have a fan base.    

šŸ‘

# 21
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
10/09/2022 2:09 am

Not sure if you'll believe this, but Gibson have just released a signature Noel Gallagher ES-335 Model. Urgh. I mean I love the guitar used in the MJFox cover of Johnny B. Goode, but I'm beginning to see why ManXCat doesn't subscribe to signature guitars.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 22
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/09/2022 2:39 am

Curiosity exploring different guitar types over the years or super deal opportunity buys notwitstanding, my regular usually long considered primary triage buying criteria are; 
(i) will it do anything to improve my playing? Yes/No
or,
(ii) is it necessary to achieve target tonality of what I am attempting to play? Yes/No?

An accurate analogy might be the ethos I adhere to when I choose to buy clothes. I dress to cloth the body, not the ego.

USD$10k?!!! Acknowledging there are some exceptionally wealthy people in the US to whom that's probably small change, as I perceive it those models are targeting the collector obsessive or the 'money is no object' niche buyer. Gibson render Gretsch's Signature model pricing policies comparatively pedestrian. o.O

# 23
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/09/2022 3:31 am

Oh dear. What have I started? 

Pretty sure it's the beginning of a love affair with Gretsch! šŸ¤©

Back to March 1957 (early exposure courtesy of teenage brothers)  ...lovin' this tone.

# 24
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
10/10/2022 10:19 pm

Oh haha, don't think we dudes ever need an excuse to banter about our favourite toys around the campfire.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 25
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/11/2022 1:01 am
#25 Originally Posted by: Drake the Red

Oh haha, don't think we dudes ever need an excuse to banter about our favourite toys around the campfire.

Right on Drake the Red! Five years on (retread from circa 1975) I find myself just as excited about everything guitar more every day as I did buying my initial restarter electric guitar and modest practice amp back in October 2017. 

# 26

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.