Sharp type of fingernails causing problems

Petterr11
Full Access
Petterr11
Full Access
02/01/2022 9:43 pm

Hey guys,

I bought my very first guitar (Fender CD60S) and I am trying to learn how to play using GuitarTricks. While learning basic chords, I soon realized that the shape of my fingernails is curved and sharp rather than flat. This is causing me problems when pressing strings as I either touch the neighboring strings (irrespective of the angle) or I can't press the string strong enough and it makes buzzing noises. This is caused by the fact that fingernail is curved and sharp and it touches against the fretboard before adequate pressue by meat part of the finger is applied. The biggest problem is with my index finger where the sharp shape is most obvious.

[br]I cut my nails as much as I could and I regularly file them with a diamond file to the bare minimum so flesh is not separated from nail. I heard it would get better with calusses and nail with get shorter after some time but I do not see much progress after few weeks. I even consulted it with an instructor in my city and he told me he had never had a student which such a type of fingernails.

The only way that works for me is to press strings with nail edge but I read it is not a good way how to play so I would like to avoid doing this mistake from the beginning. Any tips how to deal with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/01/2022 11:52 pm

Are you filing your nails following the curve of the nail or filing them straight?

Like you, I use a diamond file but, unlike you, I haven't cut my nails in years. The file does the entire job quite nicely. My right (pick) hand has rounded nails common to most manicures. But the left (fret) hand nails are perfectly straight across except at the corners where the straight filing leaves a bit of a point/spur. I round those off.

Additionally, the nails are filed short, ie., below the tip of the fingers. The fleshy tip/callus is above the level of the nail. I file fret hand nails three or four times a week to maintain that extra short condition.

The result is that where the fingers meet the fretboard the nails are straight and flat and they don't 'get in the way' .

Goes this help?

Good luck, have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
02/05/2022 10:11 am

If you hold your hands up in front palms facing you. The nails on your picking hand May show a 2 or 3 mm above the flesh , there should be no nail visible on your fretting hand. [br]You could be pressing harder than you need or your guitar action could be lowered.

Maybe try a lighter set of strings.

But I would expect these are things your instructor would easily pick up on.[br]Dave

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2022 4:07 pm

Hey & welcome!

Originally Posted by: Petterr11

While learning basic chords, I soon realized that the shape of my fingernails is curved and sharp rather than flat.

[p]It's a little difficult to see from the pictures. But in general, your fingernails need to be trimmed until they aren't in the way at all. I've seen students with the sort of problem you are describing. Ultimately they had to lean their fingers over a bit away from being completely perpendicular to the fretboard.

Some of this is alleviated by building calluses. And some of the problem was solved by gradually learning to apply just enough pressure with the finger pads. Any more is wasted effort & hinders your dexterity. As ddiddler mentioned!

Have you tried other guitars? The high action & heavy strings on an acoustic can frustrate many beginners.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
11/28/2022 11:02 pm

vis'tlek ooey &()^*))) slshtw sherlekdn?  whouceby!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 6
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/30/2022 8:04 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey & welcome!

Originally Posted by: Petterr11

While learning basic chords, I soon realized that the shape of my fingernails is curved and sharp rather than flat.

[p]It's a little difficult to see from the pictures. But in general, your fingernails need to be trimmed until they aren't in the way at all. I've seen students with the sort of problem you are describing. Ultimately they had to lean their fingers over a bit away from being completely perpendicular to the fretboard.

Some of this is alleviated by building calluses. And some of the problem was solved by gradually learning to apply just enough pressure with the finger pads. Any more is wasted effort & hinders your dexterity. As ddiddler mentioned!

Have you tried other guitars? The high action & heavy strings on an acoustic can frustrate many beginners.

Hope that helps!

👍 Christopher

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.