View post (Sharp type of fingernails causing problems)

View thread

Petterr11
Full Access
Petterr11
Full Access
02/01/2022 9:43 pm

Hey guys,

I bought my very first guitar (Fender CD60S) and I am trying to learn how to play using GuitarTricks. While learning basic chords, I soon realized that the shape of my fingernails is curved and sharp rather than flat. This is causing me problems when pressing strings as I either touch the neighboring strings (irrespective of the angle) or I can't press the string strong enough and it makes buzzing noises. This is caused by the fact that fingernail is curved and sharp and it touches against the fretboard before adequate pressue by meat part of the finger is applied. The biggest problem is with my index finger where the sharp shape is most obvious.

[br]I cut my nails as much as I could and I regularly file them with a diamond file to the bare minimum so flesh is not separated from nail. I heard it would get better with calusses and nail with get shorter after some time but I do not see much progress after few weeks. I even consulted it with an instructor in my city and he told me he had never had a student which such a type of fingernails.

The only way that works for me is to press strings with nail edge but I read it is not a good way how to play so I would like to avoid doing this mistake from the beginning. Any tips how to deal with this issue would be greatly appreciated.