TRAVIS Picking Questions

anthm
anthm
10/21/2021 11:43 pm

HI,

I see Caren Armstrong not available for forum questions,

I have a couple of questions with regards to her Travis picking lessons (Keep On Truckin) and (Hang me oh hang me). For now, which is the best instructor to aim these questions at???

Kind Regards

Anthm

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/22/2021 11:34 am
Originally Posted by: anthm

I have a couple of questions with regards to her Travis picking lessons (Keep On Truckin) and (Hang me oh hang me). For now, which is the best instructor to aim these questions at???

You can ask Lisa or Anders as they are familiar with & teach Travis picking technique. If your questions are basic enough I might also be able to help. :)[br][br]What is your question?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
anthm
anthm
10/22/2021 1:25 pm

Ok thank you, here goes,

I am at the start of your Travis Picking Based lesson of “Keep on Truckin,”

You teach what you call the “block travis pic” The best way to explain it is to give an example, EG; C Chord 5th , 2nd, 4th, 3rd , 5th, 2nd, 4th, 3rd. To make up the 8th notes of the bar. Another way of saying it is Root, R, M3, P5, R, R, M3 P5.

The other song that you teach also using this Block pattern is “Hang Me oh Hang me”

[u]Question 1; [/u]In the song Lesson “Keep on Truckin” COULD we use Travis Pick pattern (C Chord) 5th 3rd, 4th 2nd, 5th ,3rd 4th , 2nd. Or R-P5-M3-R x 2 to make up the bar.

[u]Question 2;[/u] In the lesson when you transition down the guitar to the F chord(open F) you say to use fingers 3 and 2 to pick strings High E and B respectively and keep thumb on the bass note, (Ie index finger takes a rest here) How imperative is this? I understand you have the theory of each finger has a string that it is parked on , We do however lower the Thumb in this case to pluck the lower string (D and G strings) for the bass notes, why not lower the whole right hand and pluck B and E strings with finger 1 and 2. I understand your theory but how important is it to follow your advice?

[u]Question 3[/u]; You say During Travis pic playing Do not park pinky finger below sound hole as an anchor. When you mention this you mention something about Tone also. How important is it not to Park Pinky as an anchor? Is it to improve Tonal quality or does it restrict flow and movement of other fingers?

Sorry To bombard you with questions. I am incidentally fluent on song “Hang Me oh Hang me” Which I followed your lesson to the letter. It took me kind of 4 weeks to get that song down and I have been playing it fluently for almost a year now. Other Travis Pic songs in my repertoire are “Leaving on a Jet Plane “ and the best one “Landslide by Fleetwood Mac”. (both these I mention here I use the Travis pic pattern I refer to in question 1 and not your Block Travis that you teach in your lesson songs “Hang Me and Keep on Truckin”. I’ve probably created complete confusion now so I shall stop typing.

Cheers

Anthony

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/22/2021 1:40 pm

[u]Question 1; [/u]In the song Lesson “Keep on Truckin” COULD we use Travis Pick pattern (C Chord) 5th 3rd, 4th 2nd, 5th ,3rd 4th , 2nd. Or R-P5-M3-R x 2 to make up the bar.[/quote][p]Sure. As long as you are playing all three chord tones (1st, 3rd, 5th) in some order I think it's fine. You might want to keep practicing exactly how Caren is doing it so you have more options at your disposal. But I think it's fine to alter the order of the chord tones as long as you are playing the right chords, in the right order in time with the music.

[u]Question 2;[/u] In the lesson when you transition down the guitar to the F chord(open F) you say to use fingers 3 and 2 to pick strings High E and B respectively and keep thumb on the bass note, (Ie index finger takes a rest here) How imperative is this?[/quote][p]I don't think it's that crucial. Again as long as you play the right notes at the right time, then it's good enough.

[quote=anthm]

[u]Question 3[/u]; You say During Travis pic playing Do not park pinky finger below sound hole as an anchor. When you mention this you mention something about Tone also. How important is it not to Park Pinky as an anchor? Is it to improve Tonal quality or does it restrict flow and movement of other fingers?

[p]I've seen players & teachers on both sides of this. I've seen trying to anchor become a problem because it hinders the ability to move around effectively & interfere with tone. OTOH I've seen lots of players do it & have no problems.

Again, as long as you can play the right notes in time, it's fine.

[quote=anthm]I am incidentally fluent on song “Hang Me oh Hang me” Which I followed your lesson to the letter. It took me kind of 4 weeks to get that song down and I have been playing it fluently for almost a year now.

Congrats! Well done. :) Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/22/2021 4:11 pm

Hi.

I used to play a lot of Travis/finger picking.

Question 2:. You'll probably find it better to stick with fingers 2 & 3 unless you're really comfortable with using 1&2. It's not crucial, though, just awkward in some situations; you also run the risk of failure to develop your 3rd picking finger.

3. This can restrict movement in your 3rd finger because of how the tendons work. It can also restrict speed. Some fast pickers do this (but there are also players who hang their guitars down to their knees with a bend in their wrist that would give most people severe pains after 5 minutes), so there are exceptions to the 'norm'. Could also lead to long-term damage to your hands - not an issue if you only pick with fingers 1 & 2, though

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 5
anthm
anthm
10/22/2021 6:40 pm

Thank you to both Christopher and Draconus for making the comments above, they are well received and all understood.

It's a shame that this thread ended up in this section about GT website issues. If it was in another section it may get more hits and promote more discussion.

Thanks again.

Regards

Anthony

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/22/2021 8:08 pm

You're welcome!

It's a shame that this thread ended up in this section about GT website issues. If it was in another section it may get more hits and promote more discussion.

It has been moved to the technique sub-forum.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.