View post (TRAVIS Picking Questions)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/22/2021 1:40 pm
Originally Posted by: anthm

[u]Question 1; [/u]In the song Lesson “Keep on Truckin” COULD we use Travis Pick pattern (C Chord) 5th 3rd, 4th 2nd, 5th ,3rd 4th , 2nd. Or R-P5-M3-R x 2 to make up the bar.[/quote][p]Sure. As long as you are playing all three chord tones (1st, 3rd, 5th) in some order I think it's fine. You might want to keep practicing exactly how Caren is doing it so you have more options at your disposal. But I think it's fine to alter the order of the chord tones as long as you are playing the right chords, in the right order in time with the music.

Originally Posted by: anthm

[u]Question 2;[/u] In the lesson when you transition down the guitar to the F chord(open F) you say to use fingers 3 and 2 to pick strings High E and B respectively and keep thumb on the bass note, (Ie index finger takes a rest here) How imperative is this?[/quote][p]I don't think it's that crucial. Again as long as you play the right notes at the right time, then it's good enough.

[quote=anthm]

[u]Question 3[/u]; You say During Travis pic playing Do not park pinky finger below sound hole as an anchor. When you mention this you mention something about Tone also. How important is it not to Park Pinky as an anchor? Is it to improve Tonal quality or does it restrict flow and movement of other fingers?

[p]I've seen players & teachers on both sides of this. I've seen trying to anchor become a problem because it hinders the ability to move around effectively & interfere with tone. OTOH I've seen lots of players do it & have no problems.

Again, as long as you can play the right notes in time, it's fine.

[quote=anthm]I am incidentally fluent on song “Hang Me oh Hang me” Which I followed your lesson to the letter. It took me kind of 4 weeks to get that song down and I have been playing it fluently for almost a year now.

Congrats! Well done. :) Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory