How to record guitar covers for YouTube...

NickFerra
NickFerra
08/06/2021 10:49 am

What is a good way to record guitar covers on YouTube without having expensive recording equipment?

I have a GoPro 8 and a Zoom H4n pro.

I'd like to record me playing the guitar tracks over backing tracks with vocals

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/06/2021 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by: NickFerra

What is a good way to record guitar covers on YouTube without having expensive recording equipment?

[p]It depends on how much work you want to do & the quality of the result you desire. And most of that comes down to the audio.

I've seen people that simply play a backing track through a stereo or computer in the room , play along with it through an amp & record the whole thing with a phone video recorder. The trick here is to get the audio from the backing track & the guitar amp to be balanced enough in the room & not over or underwhelm the phone mic. The audio isn't as good as it can potentially be, but it works & it's easy.

Or you can put the backing track & your recorded guitar audio into a DAW with video capability & mix the whole thing together using line in options or close miking on your guitar amp. Then you have the potential for much better audio. Record yourself playing along with the Go Pro while you are tracking & import the video into the DAW to line up the video & the finsihed audio!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
NickFerra
NickFerra
08/07/2021 6:25 pm

I may have to send you the videos and get some tips before making them live before people see them.

People like Rick Beato can play a song on his videos and then play along to them on the guitar and everything is so balanced. You hear the song but you hear his guitar playing over them.

Have you heard of his YouTube channel?

# 3
NickFerra
NickFerra
08/07/2021 6:51 pm

Or you can put the backing track & your recorded guitar audio into a DAW with video capability & mix the whole thing together using line in options or close miking on your guitar amp. Then you have the potential for much better audio. Record yourself playing along with the Go Pro while you are tracking & import the video into the DAW to line up the video & the finsihed audio!

Hope that helps!

What kind of DAW do you recommend?

Someone said I should get an interface from Focusrite or presonus. Can you record the backing track on them as well as your guitar?

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2021 8:54 pm

I may have to send you the videos and get some tips before making them live before people see them.[/quote]

Sure, that's fine.

[quote=NickFerra]

People like Rick Beato can play a song on his videos and then play along to them on the guitar and everything is so balanced. You hear the song but you hear his guitar playing over them.

[p]Yes, I've seen some of Beato's videos. In fact he did a rundown of DAWs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqATYlAgK3E

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2021 9:02 pm

What kind of DAW do you recommend?[/quote]

That depends on your budget & goals. I suggest to start cheap or free in order to learn how to use one.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

After you gain some knowledge & skill & want to get more serious, search YouTube for reviews to see what suits your goals or style: Logic, Sonar, ProTools, are some of the main ones.

[quote=NickFerra]Someone said I should get an interface from Focusrite or presonus. Can you record the backing track on them as well as your guitar?

Those are good interfaces for plugging your guitar or a mic (if you mike your amp) into your computer to capture audio. But it depends on how you intend to create or use backing tracks.

If you are going to use pre-made backing tracks, then you just need to get the audio file imported into a DAW. That's a matter of getting the wave file or MP3 & selecting import file in the DAW. You don't need any other tools for that.

But if you are going to record the bass, drums, other instruments, then yes an interface like Focusrite will be very beneficial to capture good clean audio in a digital format for use in a DAW.

Do you have any experience recording? Recording with DAWs?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.