Bending

darickmendes
darickmendes
07/17/2021 7:18 am

Kind of silly question , can putting too much force when bending the strings can break them or not ?

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/17/2021 10:33 am

Yes, it can, but always consider that you're applying pressure to steel using only your finger tips.

I think the skin would give out before the steel, unless there's a weak point on the string somewhere (bridge or nut being the most likely places, but anywhere could weaken if you bend strings a lot).

The most I can bend any string is 5 semi-tones (on a good day) and have never had a string break.

[Now I've said that, I'm half expecting every string to snap if I bend it past a semi-tone]

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/17/2021 2:20 pm
Originally Posted by: darickmendes

Kind of silly question , can putting too much force when bending the strings can break them or not ?

Yes. This happens especially when you are bending a thinner string or a string that's already been weakened (due to aging or normal wear & tear).

I typically break a .009 high E string about once every few days if I'm getting serious about practicing blues or rock licks with bends or a lot of shredding.

I occasionally break a D string because they are the lightest of the wound strings. And every so often I break one of the other strings if I'm bending or they are just worn out.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.