1st amp

spidergears1
spidergears1
06/13/2021 9:21 pm

So, i recently picked up the guitar. I’ve got about a month worth of lessons under my belt using a acoustic guitar. I have a ton to learn, but I’m really enjoying it.

[br]I finally found a Pacifica 212 electric guitar and picked it up. I’d rather play the electric guitar anyhow. So the next question is, what amp should I get? I’ve watched a ton of videos, read a ton of reviews, and to be honest, it’s all quite confusing. I’ve even went to the store and listened to some, but I feel like I don’t know enough to say.

[br]I had decided i would just start with something cheap until I figure this out. Perhaps a Mustang Micro. I went to the store, and was convinced by the salesman to consider the Line 6 Spider V 20 MKII. It was just a little more and has an iOS app, so I took it home. Once home i realized I needed another $40 adapter to hook up my ipad :/. That puts me in the realm of considering other amps.

[br]So, with my limited knowledge, I think this is my wish list. Just to preface, i have no intentions of gigging. It’ll just be for my own learning, maybe play for family on occasion. If some of these just seems like bait features for beginners, let me know please.

1. Budget of ~$300 USD. If this isn’t enough, then ill opt for something cheaper and build a better setup in the future. [br]2. I’m looking for something with a lot of options so I can try stuff out. Amps like the Positive Grid Spark are interesting for this reason. Modeling/FX/way to easily find the correct tone for that one song/etc. [br]3. Since (2), an iOS app with Bluetooth connectivity would be really nice. I know a lot of modeling amps can connect to a computer, but i simply won’t do that. I want quick and easy configuration.

Some amps that I’ve considered:

1. Positive Grid Spark. There’s a lot in this package, if it works. I’ve read they had a hum issue that might be fixed with the grounded power supply they now ship (anybody still experiencing this issue?). I’ve also heard it’s too bassy and you can’t trim enough out. As a beginner, the other features like the auto-chord are appealing. [br]2. Katana 50 MKii. I keep reading this is the best sounding option. However, no ios app or Bluetooth. So, any additional customizations would likely be lost for me. Maybe i could add an fx board at a later time?[br]3. Yamaha THR. It seems to get really good reviews. However, the wireless version is beyond my budget. [br]4. Line 6 Spider V 20 MKII because, well, I currently have it. But it’s likely going back. [br]5. A cheap amp? I can find a Orange Crush 20RT for less than $100 used. With this maybe I could grow my setup to add an fx board prior to the amp.

Anything else i should be considering? Any of my requirements stupid? Any advice would be appreciated.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/14/2021 12:04 am

Everyone loves gear and it's easy to get carried away. Here is an old joke I read years ago:

Kid walks up to a champion motorcycle racer and asks "what can I add to my bike to make it go faster?" The champ looks at him and says "more gas."

Anyway, its a bad joke but kind of on point. Of the amps mentioned the only one I have experience with is the Katana and its great. But they probably all are in some way. Curious about blue tooth. The Kat does have an aux in if you want to hook your phone to it, or you can buy a bluetooth adapter for under $20. Doesn't do much except eliminate 1 more cable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/14/2021 3:09 am

I have a Fender Champ 20 which I like quite a bit. Lots of sounds, 8" speaker, a nice set of effects to get you going. I can play it at low volumes so I don't disturb my wife. And it's only around $130.

# 3
DavidMeb
DavidMeb
06/17/2021 11:42 pm

Been playing just under a year. Began with and still use a Mustang 1. Great little package and more than enough than my current needs. But a few months ago I bought a Mustang micro - with a family it was tough to find the space and right time to practice. Now if I'm practicing in one room and my kids come in, I can just get up and go to the basement or whatever. Can also play when people are sleeping. Now I use it about 90% of the time. Great quality sound. Best hundred bucks I've ever spent!

# 4
adrian_
adrian_
07/16/2021 3:20 am
Originally Posted by: spidergears1

So, i recently picked up the guitar. I’ve got about a month worth of lessons under my belt using a acoustic guitar. I have a ton to learn, but I’m really enjoying it.

[br]I finally found a Pacifica 212 electric guitar and picked it up. I’d rather play the electric guitar anyhow. So the next question is, what amp should I get? I’ve watched a ton of videos, read a ton of reviews, and to be honest, it’s all quite confusing. I’ve even went to the store and listened to some, but I feel like I don’t know enough to say.

[br]I had decided i would just start with something cheap until I figure this out. Perhaps a Mustang Micro. I went to the store, and was convinced by the salesman to consider the Line 6 Spider V 20 MKII. It was just a little more and has an iOS app, so I took it home. Once home i realized I needed another $40 adapter to hook up my ipad :/. That puts me in the realm of considering other amps.

[br]So, with my limited knowledge, I think this is my wish list. Just to preface, i have no intentions of gigging. It’ll just be for my own learning, maybe play for family on occasion. If some of these just seems like bait features for beginners, let me know please.

1. Budget of ~$300 USD. If this isn’t enough, then ill opt for something cheaper and build a better setup in the future. [br]2. I’m looking for something with a lot of options so I can try stuff out. Amps like the Positive Grid Spark are interesting for this reason. Modeling/FX/way to easily find the correct tone for that one song/etc. [br]3. Since (2), an iOS app with Bluetooth connectivity would be really nice. I know a lot of modeling amps can connect to a computer, but i simply won’t do that. I want quick and easy configuration.

Some amps that I’ve considered:

1. Positive Grid Spark. There’s a lot in this package, if it works. I’ve read they had a hum issue that might be fixed with the grounded power supply they now ship (anybody still experiencing this issue?). I’ve also heard it’s too bassy and you can’t trim enough out. As a beginner, the other features like the auto-chord are appealing. [br]2. Katana 50 MKii. I keep reading this is the best sounding option. However, no ios app or Bluetooth. So, any additional customizations would likely be lost for me. Maybe i could add an fx board at a later time?[br]3. Yamaha THR. It seems to get really good reviews. However, the wireless version is beyond my budget. [br]4. Line 6 Spider V 20 MKII because, well, I currently have it. But it’s likely going back. [br]5. A cheap amp? I can find a Orange Crush 20RT for less than $100 used. With this maybe I could grow my setup to add an fx board prior to the amp.

Anything else i should be considering? Any of my requirements stupid? Any advice would be appreciated.

Click the link below:

Amps: The Foundation of Tone

Hope that helps!

- Mikael

Because of GuitarTricks, I got to the level that I could play Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles in just eleven months! The instructors here are so good at teaching guitar! - Mikael_Z_Guitarist_123

[u]My YouTube Channel[/u]

Just click the "My YouTube Channel" button if you want to check it out.

# 5
josselin.anton
josselin.anton
07/20/2021 3:49 pm

I arrive 1 million years later but I have a peavey vypyr vip 1 and I think it is a great tool to start, but other similar products can be great too.

It has amp simulations so you can do many style, a multi effect, if you get the pedal you can have a basic 30 seconds looper, got line in and headphones.

also I ordered a fun thingy the fender mustang micro, it is for headphone play (those kind of amplug), it has many amp and effects and it is very cheap (99 euros)

# 6
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
07/21/2021 4:45 pm

This isn't a recommendation of an amp. But since you are a beginner perhaps an article about tube amps may be helpful.

Tube-Amp Basics for Beginners.

"Famous tube amps from companies like Fender, Marshall, Vox, and others have come to define the sound of virtually all electric-guitar music. To varying degrees, we know that these amps sound different from each other—and we might even know some basic specs, like what kind of tubes different models use, and maybe some details about stock speakers. But it can be hard to understand some of the finer reasons why these amps sound different from each other."

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 7
willshep
willshep
07/25/2021 8:48 pm

Boss katana 50 mk II, great tone at the price, good range of effects to keep you busy and probably a little confused at least for a while, also you can reduce the output to 0.5 amps and avoid annoying everyone around you. Also some of the smaller Fenders offer good sound and good value but don't go too cheap or you'll sound like you're playing in a tin can with a dying cat. If I were you I wouldn't worry about pedals anytime soon, that day will come but focus on getting skilled up first and rely on the amp effects instead.

# 8
martobluesman
martobluesman
07/26/2021 2:22 pm

I own a BOSS Katana Mini for travel and quiet practice, you can use a adapter or it can run on batteries it's small and light, the other Fender LT25 which is a great amp I am not into all the bluetooth stuff, and apps, I recommend those 2

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.