View post (1st amp)

View thread

spidergears1
spidergears1
06/13/2021 9:21 pm

So, i recently picked up the guitar. I’ve got about a month worth of lessons under my belt using a acoustic guitar. I have a ton to learn, but I’m really enjoying it.

[br]I finally found a Pacifica 212 electric guitar and picked it up. I’d rather play the electric guitar anyhow. So the next question is, what amp should I get? I’ve watched a ton of videos, read a ton of reviews, and to be honest, it’s all quite confusing. I’ve even went to the store and listened to some, but I feel like I don’t know enough to say.

[br]I had decided i would just start with something cheap until I figure this out. Perhaps a Mustang Micro. I went to the store, and was convinced by the salesman to consider the Line 6 Spider V 20 MKII. It was just a little more and has an iOS app, so I took it home. Once home i realized I needed another $40 adapter to hook up my ipad :/. That puts me in the realm of considering other amps.

[br]So, with my limited knowledge, I think this is my wish list. Just to preface, i have no intentions of gigging. It’ll just be for my own learning, maybe play for family on occasion. If some of these just seems like bait features for beginners, let me know please.

1. Budget of ~$300 USD. If this isn’t enough, then ill opt for something cheaper and build a better setup in the future. [br]2. I’m looking for something with a lot of options so I can try stuff out. Amps like the Positive Grid Spark are interesting for this reason. Modeling/FX/way to easily find the correct tone for that one song/etc. [br]3. Since (2), an iOS app with Bluetooth connectivity would be really nice. I know a lot of modeling amps can connect to a computer, but i simply won’t do that. I want quick and easy configuration.

Some amps that I’ve considered:

1. Positive Grid Spark. There’s a lot in this package, if it works. I’ve read they had a hum issue that might be fixed with the grounded power supply they now ship (anybody still experiencing this issue?). I’ve also heard it’s too bassy and you can’t trim enough out. As a beginner, the other features like the auto-chord are appealing. [br]2. Katana 50 MKii. I keep reading this is the best sounding option. However, no ios app or Bluetooth. So, any additional customizations would likely be lost for me. Maybe i could add an fx board at a later time?[br]3. Yamaha THR. It seems to get really good reviews. However, the wireless version is beyond my budget. [br]4. Line 6 Spider V 20 MKII because, well, I currently have it. But it’s likely going back. [br]5. A cheap amp? I can find a Orange Crush 20RT for less than $100 used. With this maybe I could grow my setup to add an fx board prior to the amp.

Anything else i should be considering? Any of my requirements stupid? Any advice would be appreciated.