Does anyone have the modeling amp Yamaha THR10 II

bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
11/22/2020 1:37 pm

Hi Everyone I hope and pray all are well and healthy as Thank Giving almost here Ć°ÅøĖœā€°

Ok I been watching a lot of YouTube videos on Apparment friendly amps

and I came across this very well cool one

it called Yamaha THR ii

now every bodies talks about theYamaha THR30 II Wireless

but I can only afford this over at Sweetwater

Yamaha THR10 II 2x3" 20-watt Modeling Combo Amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR10II--yamaha-thr10-ii-10-watt-2x3-inch-modeling-combo

I have questions

please

"learning to create very emotionally musically phrasing
is a good idea, yeah? Lord please help me
# 1
manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 9:32 pm

I don't own or use one and so can't answer end user questions for you, but can affirm in its role as a home use amp within its wattage class, everyone who has an original THR that I know of loves them. Surprisingly, they were always expensive relative to what else is available, and the latest Mk. II incarnations now even more so, especially the wireless version.

If it's really what you want (?) and you willuse/need its feature set, can't go wrong with a THR if their price doesn't bother you. Fantastic footprint and aesthetic too.

But, there's always a but, compared with a stereo capable digital modelling amp like this with 2x5" speakers which can do what a majority of users buying this category of amp require of it and then some, and as you can see has a similar satisfaction rating, but is half the THR's price. Not integrated, but for the price of a $20 rechargable TaoTronics BT 5.0 accessory adapter any amp can have reliable BT TX/RX capability too. The THR's almost double the price is a deal breaker for many, including me even if I wanted a 20W amp. I paid less than the price of that THR10 II or 20W ID:Core for my 40W ID:Core just 3 years ago. No brainer for my then usage/needs, and it still serves well.

From what I discern from my prior research, the THR10's output volume will have adequate saturation for a small apartment to satisfy the ears of most, but it's still just 20W and has a max noise limitation which I'd find now unacceptable/limiting [u]if it was my only amp[/u]. YMMV.

That said, as you probably know from my past posts and guitars I use, I am a Yamaha Music product fan. Multiple Yamaha electric & acoustic guitars, Yamaha keyboard, new Yamaha HT receiver earlier this year for the HT room and Yamaha sound bar for the other TV, yet I don't own a single Yamaha THR amp. Though I've been seduced by the form factor and advertising to lust after one at times, during mandatory self-imposed 'cooldown', it always gets triaged out in my GAS budget on a poor bang for the buck spend [u]for me[/u].

IDK if this may answer some of your questions, but worth a shot. Have you seen this? Rachel(f) has had and used the previous original iteration of the THR10 for some time, and although this vid is now 2 years old, offers an informative and interesting rundown on it from an end user rather than bias of a store sales droid or view chasing YT channel quid pro quo 'reviewer' spin perspective.

Good luck with getting a response to your quesiton from a THR10 II owner/user. I haven't heard anyone in this forum mention owning a THR II yet that I recall, but your post might bring someone who does 'out of the woodwork'.

# 2
davebayer32
davebayer32
11/23/2020 12:50 am

Black Friday, and cyber Monday deals are fast approaching. If you haven’t looked at the PG Spark amp just yet it may be work a look. I’ll give it an 8 out of 10 stars. The only reason I’m not giving it a 10-star rating is that they ship with a non-grounded power supply. Some users have experienced a humming noise from the amp due to grounding issues. However, a $10 3-prong grounded power supply from amazon will fix 99% of the problems.

Here is a link just in case you haven’t look into one just yet. I really enjoy mine.

https://www.positivegrid.com/spark/

# 3
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
11/23/2020 8:37 am

ManXCat Thanks for the run down and link appreciate that Ć°Åøā€˜Ā

and yes I agree thier

cheaper amps for small apartment life

so first I did buy the black star work great until it just died

that was what I had was the

Blackstar ID:Core 40

but it does not work anymore so now I have herd great things about this amp from sweet water

that’s why I started to rearch this amp

I would like to get the THR 30 watt just donot the funds

# 4
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
11/23/2020 8:39 am

davebayer32 Thanks I will check that out Ć°ÅøĖœā€°

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
11/23/2020 10:26 am
Originally Posted by: bcraig4J

that was what I had was the

Blackstar ID:Core 40

but it does not work anymore so now I have herd great things about this amp from sweet water

that’s why I started to rearch this amp

I would like to get the THR 30 watt just donot the funds

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Ć°ÅøĖœĀ¢ You hadn't had it very long had you?

Don't Blackstar have the same extended warranty program in the USA or Canada they do in AU & the UK?

Here the 1 year Blackstar warranty is extended to 3 years full coverage just for registering the purchase with the Blackstar regional distro online. It's backed by Blackstar, but serviced regionally. Worth inquiring, although a condition is registering the product. I'd try anyway if you have the receipt.

Did the unit (PCB component) die or the external PSU? You've checked the on/of switch switching to confirm it's not as simple as that?

Just FTR I use filtered power strips on all my equipment fed from a UPS for clean stable spike or brownout free voltage and isolation between my kit and mains. We get horrendous Thunderstorms here over summer. All good so far, touch wood, but my own ID:Core 40 warranty is about to expire this month. You know how Murphy's Law works....just out of warranty. = ]

Might be worth investing in a quality filter when you get your new amp if you don't already use one.

All the best with the THR quest. Yamaha quality.

# 6
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
11/24/2020 8:23 am

ManXCat

Thanks man

Yes not very long when the BlackSatr amp warranty has come and gone

# 7
dearan.ferris
dearan.ferris
11/24/2020 10:20 pm

Hi

Yeah, I have this amp. It was the first one I bought after coming back to guitar after 10 years away so I definitely did my research.

I also couldn't afford the 30w but this is 20w and can ger pretty damn loud. I also just use it for streaming music because it sounds like a proper hi-fi too.

I love it so far. I'm just playing in my bedroom with it either hooked up via USB to my laptop or via the bluetooth for the remote. The sounds are great for me and it's really simple to use.

The app is pretty good and you can really customize your sounds and save them or download other patches that people have made.

The only negatives I've found so far are that the modulation/reverb pots on the amp are a bit sensitive so you can easily go from 0 ~ 100 with the effects but using the app it's all good.

I just downloaded and installed the new firmware update and it's added a few new things but also screwed up some of my saved patches.

Would definitely buy again though.

# 8
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
11/25/2020 1:03 am

Thanks Dearan,

Now You said the amp can get really loud

how far on the amp it self can you turn it down the volume to still sound good ?

becuase mostly I will be using it in the front living room in the apparment

2.How is the feel of this amp meaning the dynamics from real light toouch to really digging in hard ?

# 9
dearan.ferris
dearan.ferris
11/25/2020 9:59 pm
Originally Posted by: bcraig4J

Thanks Dearan,

Now You said the amp can get really loud

how far on the amp it self can you turn it down the volume to still sound good ?

becuase mostly I will be using it in the front living room in the apparment

2.How is the feel of this amp meaning the dynamics from real light toouch to really digging in hard ?

I only use it for playing in a bedroom/living room. The sound at low volumes is the reason I bought it. I think it sounds great at bedroom volumes and I rarely, if ever, crank it. There's a master volume but then also a separate volume for the guitar which works well to keep things low but still nice.

I'll have to get back to you on the dynamics. I'll try it when I get some free time in the morning. I'm also interested to see how it does with the three pedals I've just bought.

# 10
stewart.dennis78
Full Access
stewart.dennis78
Full Access
11/26/2020 10:28 am

I just received mine this week. For a practice amp for home use there is nothing to complain about. I love the sound , its loud enough and the options are plenty.

Only negative for me is that you have to connect the amp to a computer/tablet/phone to access all the sounds. If this is an issue for you, consider the THR 30ii which has an additional knob for all the sound settings.

# 11
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
11/30/2020 6:35 am

Thanks Steward

for your input Sir

# 12
JOMJ
JOMJ
02/07/2021 3:35 pm

Have it and love it. I never had the volume over 12 o clock because it's just perfect for living room / bedroom volume (wherever you want to play because it's so small you can carry it anywhere!)

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 13
bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
02/07/2021 11:59 pm

Thanks for Your input

Starting new thread call

“What are others yahama thr 2 best settings”

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.