your favourite guitar style ?

gustavowoltmannguitarist
gustavowoltmannguitarist
10/19/2020 3:51 am

As many people are looking forward to learn to play guitar by hearing a great guitarist. Something inside us makes us say “What is that sound? I wanna play that!”. Once you have experienced this, you are already on the way to being a guitarist. If you have never played before, there are so many types of guitars and guitar playing styles to choose from that it can be tough to know where to start.[br]want to know which style do you like to play?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/19/2020 4:58 am

So much I've heard and hear I like rather than being stuck in or restricting myself to a single narrow genre.

The problem is, rule of life: one can do [u]anything[/u] one wants to do well if one tries and applies themself, just not [u]everything[/u] one wants to do.

Personifying that a lot of guitarists [u]learning[/u] here are older, which invokes a wider range of exposure over their lifetime whilst at the same time restricting what is potentially pragmatically achievable given the remaining time available, encumbrances and advantages of being older.

[br]Ultimately if I had more time, I'd like to play Bensonesque Jazz, but that's never gonna' happen. I just don't have sufficient time remaining to develop my skills to that required level.

I most enjoy and so like to play electric guitar and Classic Rock encompassing a range of eras and styles. Not only is it achievable, it's energetic and just smile to the face fun with loads of riff driven tunes with catchy hooks not all that hard with many solos even now within my capability with applied effort. Love the energy and sound of electric with fuzz, crunch or distortion as applicable.

[br]So Classic Rock for me. Having a lot of fun with The Undertones' "Teenage Kicks" (1978) at the moment. Yes I know technically it's Punk Rock but I'm not that discriminatory.....

[br]Just show me you best pogo!

# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
10/19/2020 5:42 am

It's hard to pick just one but I most admire Fingerstyle Guitar. I didn't even know what it was called a few months ago before I started playing. In fact, I started out with both an electric and acoustic but I'm just drawn more to playing acoustic I've found. I just love the sound of Fingerstyle and it's definitely something I want to work towards.

I also really admire anything Blues and Rock. Right now I'm working on Runaway Train (Made Easy) on here. (Trying to learn my chords and chord changes before playing Fingerstyle more. But the "dabbling" I've done has been fun!)

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/19/2020 9:11 am

I would say rock music but I like the mandolins on Rod Stewart stuff. Like picking on acoustic. Currently listening to Molly Tuttles and Billy Strings on Bluegrass cross picking whuch I would never have seen myself listening to.

So I'm leaning towards acoustic and any picking songs. With picks or fingers, both great to admire when done at highest levels

# 4
JohnGC
JohnGC
10/19/2020 11:02 am

Showing my age here,but I was inspired in my teenage years with Hank Marvin & The Shadows after seeing them live in London.Going through my lessons with a goal to be able to play some of their music such as Sleepwalk etc along with the backing. Having a lot of fun trying to simulate the sound of Hank's strat. I have also taken a strong liking to Blues music.

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
10/19/2020 12:08 pm
Originally Posted by: JohnGC

Showing my age here,but I was inspired in my teenage years with Hank Marvin & The Shadows after seeing them live in London.Going through my lessons with a goal to be able to play some of their music such as Sleepwalk etc along with the backing. Having a lot of fun trying to simulate the sound of Hank's strat. I have also taken a strong liking to Blues music.

Hey JohnGC

You're not alone. I was jamming yesterday with a 72 year old guy who's totally nuts about Surf and that late 50's early 60's instrumental material, e.g. The Shadows "Apache", The Ventures "Walk Don't Run".

Have you seen Dave Monk? I think you might enjoy his channel. = ]

ManXcat

# 6
JohnGC
JohnGC
10/19/2020 12:41 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: JohnGC

Hey JohnGC

You're not alone. I was jamming yesterday with a 72 year old guy who's totally nuts about Surf and that late 50's early 60's instrumental material, e.g. The Shadows "Apache", The Ventures "Walk Don't Run".

Have you seen Dave Monk? I think you might enjoy his channel. = ]

ManXcat

Oh yes Dave makes a terrific job of all he plays. I have actually got that backing track for Sleepwalk and look forward to being able to play along with it. Ken Mercer also is very good at playing covers of the shadows. Ken also did a video of how to get the Hank Marving's Apache sound using the double delay etc. I must admit I am sometimes guilty at spending too much time messing about on Guitar rig 5 to obtain that sound instead of doing my practice ( hope Lisa does not read this otherwise I am going to be in trouble )

# 7
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/19/2020 4:04 pm

Frankly, it depends on my mood. I grew up listening to jazz, blues, big band (my parents), Grateful Dead, blues/rock and surf (older brother), pop and rock/folk (older sister), and California rock (Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt (another older brother).

My teen years were punk, alternative music, and folk ala Suzanne Vega. I tended to be inspired to play guitar by all of these genres.

Lived in a rural area, so there is also the influence and enjoyment of country rock.

I can narrow it down to what I am focused on: blues, jazz, and folk/rock.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 8
ahmad.atieh1
ahmad.atieh1
10/21/2020 11:18 am

I'd say it depends on the mood. I fell in love with rock and roll and metal music close to 12 years ago and decided on learning guitar. I still very much prefer playing the same genre (maiden, black sabbath, guns n roses, and the list goes on). This would definitely be my favorite guitar genre/style. More on the technical side as adrian smith plays. BUT! iv been trying to get into more genres that are just as interesting. I LOVE ERIC CLAPTON's tone and style. How did you guys branch out into different genres and what was the one you started from? any tips are appreciated!

# 9
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/21/2020 5:31 pm
Originally Posted by: ahmad.atieh1

I'd say it depends on the mood. I fell in love with rock and roll and metal music close to 12 years ago and decided on learning guitar. I still very much prefer playing the same genre (maiden, black sabbath, guns n roses, and the list goes on). This would definitely be my favorite guitar genre/style. More on the technical side as adrian smith plays. BUT! iv been trying to get into more genres that are just as interesting. I LOVE ERIC CLAPTON's tone and style. How did you guys branch out into different genres and what was the one you started from? any tips are appreciated!

If you have enough playing skill, learn songs as your means of branching out. While Guitar Tricks has modules for some style of music (eg - Blues/Rock), you can engages those modules to get a good rounded knowledge of the genre but also spend time learnings songs by artists you want to explore.

I find that learning songs or song sections best helps me get inside where an artists is coming from.

Recently I've sort of been taking a 'you know, I've always loved that lick' approach. There's songs and parts of songs that ring true with me and I've long skipped digging in to whole songs and still don't always learn a full song when really I'm seeking once part of that song. I don't recommend skipping a whole song in search of a lick but it does let you know that with guitar playing, sometimes it helps to pick up some quick things to add to your abilities.

# 10
gustavowoltmannguitarist
gustavowoltmannguitarist
10/27/2020 10:02 am

When thinking about the defining characteristics of a style - the techniques, timbre and melodic/harmonic frameworks .

are they really exclusive to that style?

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.