Practice and chords + +

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/28/2020 2:28 pm

OK . Have got the open chords. both in Maj and Min, not the barres.

Working on the smoother quicker changings.

Still looking at GF1 and 2 but also moving in to acoustic and blues with Anders.

Probably Acoustic as I like the finger playing.

Seen some practice routines broken down in to techniques,scales, chords, lessons, songs.

How do you advance your knowledge of chords.

Do you work through GTricks and wait until a new chord crops up. 7s and sus chords

Similar with easy and beginner songs

or Do you concentrate on a Maj chord and add new positions

or do you run through the chords you have down and choose a new addition if you know 7s and Sus are coming next.

Do people regularly practice every chord they know or do they become familiar so you can find the fingering and changes for them as you need them

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/28/2020 3:08 pm

There are common chords, I think Lisa goes over these. Any other chords for me would be song specific.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
09/28/2020 10:26 pm
Originally Posted by: ddiddler

OK . Have got the open chords. both in Maj and Min, not the barres.

Working on the smoother quicker changings.

Still looking at GF1 and 2 but also moving in to acoustic and blues with Anders.

Probably Acoustic as I like the finger playing.

Seen some practice routines broken down in to techniques,scales, chords, lessons, songs.

How do you advance your knowledge of chords.

Do you work through GTricks and wait until a new chord crops up. 7s and sus chords

Similar with easy and beginner songs

or Do you concentrate on a Maj chord and add new positions

or do you run through the chords you have down and choose a new addition if you know 7s and Sus are coming next.

Do people regularly practice every chord they know or do they become familiar so you can find the fingering and changes for them as you need them

The short answer to your questions would be to follow this progression : GF1>>GF2>>Acoustic 1 or blues 1. That should cover at least most of what you`re looking for.

Might be good questions to ask one of the instructors. Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
09/28/2020 11:08 pm

The long answer is that your muscle memory is a remarkable thing. If you keep up your practice those chord forms will become second nature. I have not practiced a chord form for years and years.

I did quit music for medical reasons for about 15 years. When came back to it I found my hand could immediately form most of the chords without problems. This was muscle memory at work. But hang on... it gets better yet...

I play mostly my own music and have for a very long time. I use some obscure jazz chords in my compositions. Those chords were fuzzy when I first started to relearn my songs. In fact, I was worried that I had lost those chords for good. But if I just played the parts of the song that I could remember enough times, my fingers would eventually just jump to the missing chord form.

At this point I trust my muscle memory more than I trust the rusty, old organ in my skull. Muscle Memory is what makes it possible to play a musical insturment at all!

Just keep practicing and you will end up not needing to practice chords so much. Your muscle memory should eventually make those chord forms second nature and you will use them with the same fluency you speak your native language. Muscle memory can be slow on the up take, but once it gets a chord down, Muscle Memory hangs on for a very long time.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/29/2020 10:27 am

thanks everybody

Obviously going to continue a pathway on GT. Just there are so many ways to meander. What with tutorials in the styles section and then some cropping up on the facebook page.

Never a distraction but maybe not needed just yet.

Like I said probably Acoustic 1 first anyways.

and pick the chords up as they cross my path.

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/29/2020 11:52 am

Suppose it's a one of those,,, do no harm.

I mean the chord finder on GT only has 25 types with 5 variations for each.

Then some inversions.

and we know that's not all of them.

Shouldn't take long then

# 6
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/03/2020 12:56 am

I'm in a similar boat. I need the chord practice but I find myself meandering around a little too. Overall, I think it's good I found Acoustics 1 to be extremely enjoyable. But as someone here pointed out the other day, I will be much more successful at playing anything if I have my chord changes down. So I've begun thoroughly going over the chord change drills on here in each Key (only focusing on two different keys for now) and also the chord change strategies for common chords. In just a couple days, I'm noticing a difference. I'm also practicing with the metronome when I play to keep up with myself. I'm going very slow now but I know I'll work my way up. I'm just concerned with accuracy and not looking at the fretboard now. Oh, and just forming the shapes and not putting each finger down one by one. Maybe some of this can help you. I also really like Fingerstyle so that is what I'll be playing after more of the fundamentals are down.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 7
gregmchir
gregmchir
10/03/2020 2:08 pm

I have found the songs to be helpful. With the performance feature you can practice smooth changes while learning songs.While I am working through Acoustic ! I will pick 2 guitar rated songs to learn or slow 3 guitar rated songs The ones I found with the most chords and chord changes are John Lennon Bob dylan and love me tender by Elvis Presley. These are all barre chords Some use capo some don't

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.