View post (Practice and chords + +)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
09/28/2020 11:08 pm

The long answer is that your muscle memory is a remarkable thing. If you keep up your practice those chord forms will become second nature. I have not practiced a chord form for years and years.

I did quit music for medical reasons for about 15 years. When came back to it I found my hand could immediately form most of the chords without problems. This was muscle memory at work. But hang on... it gets better yet...

I play mostly my own music and have for a very long time. I use some obscure jazz chords in my compositions. Those chords were fuzzy when I first started to relearn my songs. In fact, I was worried that I had lost those chords for good. But if I just played the parts of the song that I could remember enough times, my fingers would eventually just jump to the missing chord form.

At this point I trust my muscle memory more than I trust the rusty, old organ in my skull. Muscle Memory is what makes it possible to play a musical insturment at all!

Just keep practicing and you will end up not needing to practice chords so much. Your muscle memory should eventually make those chord forms second nature and you will use them with the same fluency you speak your native language. Muscle memory can be slow on the up take, but once it gets a chord down, Muscle Memory hangs on for a very long time.

Captcha is a total pain in the........