Fiverr - personal review

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/07/2020 11:16 pm

Edit: this has been moved...

So the other day I had asked if other members had any experience with Fiverr. I did receive some feedback but nobody with any direct experience. Well, I can now report on how the experience has been and will turn out to - hopefully it will be a positve experience.

For those not familiar with Fiverr, it is an online freelance site offering a variety of services through various freelancers.

Here is the background:

I wrote a song and was looking for a vocalist of a particular style. I checked out Fiverr and found an individual who had the pipes I was looking for. I reached out to him via Fiverr, outlined in exact detail what I had - right down to the word count - and asked him for an exact quote. That amount worked out to be $231.45CAD. This next part is important to note: the amount fluctuates based on current exchange. The person recording the vocals lives in Spain - I am in Canada. When we 1st began communicating, the price in CAD $'s was less than $231.45. No big deal just a part of this that needs to be pointed out. I should also point out that the way the pricing is structured in 3 groupings - sort of like "good - better - best". I purchased the "best" package which gives me more vocal time. There are packages offered that literally only provide a verse and some sellers on Fiverr break it down to seconds of recording time.

So, here is hoping that things work out. If not, well, we have a story to share and a cautionary tale. But I am not too concerned. Seems like a pretty big site and Mr Maph (vocalist) has a pretty big social media precence so I don't think he is living in mom's basement.

Once I have the vocals back I will put it together with the music and share it with you folks.

Edit:

Just checked my card balance online and there is a Fiverr pending charge for the amount of purchase. That's a postitive.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/07/2020 11:40 pm

Update:

today I received my audio files as promised by Mr Maph within 3 days. He gave me lead and 2 harmonies. For me, in this instance, the Fiverr experience has been very positive. The experience has been so positive that I am now looking for a harmonica player on Fiverr as I don't know any locally within my circle and as the song I am on is a basic blues song, I feel it needs a harmonica.

There is much work to do, mixing everything takes some work and I am still working out the solo guitar bits. But if you are interested in seeing the progress you can click on the link below...

So, do I prefer Fiverr over local talent: yes and no. Sometimes the talent we want isn't available so we need options. But... there is nothing better than working things out person to person if you know what I mean.

Will I use Fiverr again: yes I think so. But it will not be my 1st choice. I like face to face whenever possible.

Come on back

# 2
Herman10
Herman10
09/08/2020 12:10 am

Nice song but the bass sounds like all over the place beginning with Bm and then E major and then jumping to a G# major ( first time I listend I thought the bass wasn't tuned properly )? sounds really confusing and I would change that, also for the first guitar playing the double stops along with the lyrics, in the intro okay bud when the singing begins I would go for some more rhythmic part.

But one thing is for sure, that guy can sing and it fits the song.

Herman

# 3
Herman10
Herman10
09/08/2020 12:47 am

It sounds to me like you want a blues in a minor chord progression right?

# 4
Herman10
Herman10
09/08/2020 12:49 am

What is happening over here? before your post was here and now it's gone??

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/08/2020 1:09 am

Well it's simple. I read your post, asked you a question, then figured I sort it out for myself.

# 6
Herman10
Herman10
09/08/2020 2:31 am

Ah okay, already thought some virus or something was eating the answers. Much luck with it and if you need some help just let it know.

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/08/2020 11:11 am

Will do, thanks

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/13/2020 7:01 pm
Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

... but the bass sounds like all over the place beginning with Bm and then E major and then jumping to a G# major ( first time I listend I thought the bass wasn't tuned properly )? sounds really confusing and I would change that, also for the first guitar playing the double stops along with the lyrics, in the intro okay bud when the singing begins I would go for some more rhythmic part.

But one thing is for sure, that guy can sing and it fits the song.

erman

I think I see what you mean Herman, I made changes to the song. I have to work with the bass, drum and vocal tracks as is, the only mods I can make would be to the guitar which is me (unless I spend more money - and that's not going to happen). I think the song should be i iv v, but from what you describe the bass is i iv vi.

Anyway, this is draft 7(b) and feedback is welcomed. I am a hands on learner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUswdmNT6Kg&t=33s

# 9
Herman10
Herman10
09/13/2020 11:32 pm

What do you use for the bass track? garage band or something like that?

For now the bass plays Bm / E / F# what should be Bm ( 7 ) / Em ( 7 )/ F#7

Good tip , buy GuitarPro, it's about 50 bucks and with that you can write your own bass track and other tracks and it playes it with real sounds, not midi sounds. These can be exported from the program as .wav or .mp3 so you can import these tracks in your recording software wether that is reaper or any other, worked miracles for me.

Herman

# 10
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/14/2020 10:51 am

In this case I'm not sure how the bass and drums were put together, they're not mine, a friend put them together. But when we 1st started talking I played him a basic shuffle my son recorded for me on my phone and this got it started.

I can actually play bass, but I play bass like I play guitar. Very roughly and inconsistent strums and picking pressures. So this Guitar Pro looks interesting and looks like I could use it along with drum plug ins to make rhythm tracks.

Edit: I have this now, new bass and drum track in the works. Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, the vocalist hired went with what I sent him, so I will have to try and match things up in my daw once the new rhythm track is completed. Shouldn't be too hard though, just some tweeking I am hoping.

# 11
Herman10
Herman10
09/14/2020 12:03 pm

Normally if you adjust the bass to the chords I said then all the rest still should be okay as it is since all guitar parts and vocals are within the B minor pentatonic scale

PS With Guitar pro you can also write a drumtrack and export that but you need to know the tab reading for drums ( can probably find them on the net ).

I already use Guitar pro for all my backingtrack recordings like bass, drums, organs, strings and even harmonica for over 15 years, you can asign an amp of your choice, effects and reverb to every track and it sounds just amazing.

# 12
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/14/2020 1:38 pm

I will post an update once I have things put together. Thanks again.

# 13
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
09/14/2020 4:02 pm

Hey William --

I haven't used this in 25 years or something, but this program has been around forever and I got AWESOME results back then:

Band In A Box: https://www.pgmusic.com

You type in all the chord symbols / progression / song structure, change whatever parameters and it makes all the backing music for you.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 14
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/14/2020 6:26 pm

Hi Carl

I have to admit to owning a copy of this and have used it in the past, but for this particular instance I did not. However, in hingsight, had I used it, the bass track most likely would have been more in line with what Herman is outlining. Oh well, if nothing else this has been a very good experience in ear training, and I have to say Herman has a good ear.

This song really came together quickly and started with a friend and I talking blues and I thought "I should write a blues song!" lol. Afterall, 12 bars - 3 chords - what could go wrong

But it really has been a good experience. Luckily I have not hired my harmonica player yet, and will hold off until I have things patched up. I have another friend looking at it and I will see what he comes back with but I may just end using BiB for the rhythm track.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

# 15
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/14/2020 7:03 pm

Carl, you're a genius!

I just threw the chords into BiB and not only did it come up with the bass line and drums, it also gave me this cool organ - which I hadnt thought of - so no need for a harmonica player now. Check it out

https://youtu.be/gfCG1saKS3g

It totally changes the groove of the song, I really like it. Now if I can just get the vocals in line...

Great suggestion.

# 16
Herman10
Herman10
09/14/2020 11:33 pm

Can you get a backing track with a shuffle ( swing ) feel out of BiB? this is straight eights and the vocals are shuffle feel due to your previous BT.

Herman

# 17
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/14/2020 11:47 pm

I'm not sure and you are right. I'm having a hard time getting the vocals to work.

# 18
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/15/2020 12:40 am

I would say you called it right again Herman, I did find a swing and did a test

https://youtu.be/OnFL1DHi5p8

And I should note that now that you point it out, I can hear the swing in his voice. Guy is a real pro.

# 19
Herman10
Herman10
09/15/2020 1:01 am

You are getting there, now keep the 12 bar blues with it and maybe you can find a rhytm that might even swing some more like some blues shuffle in 12/8 and you can start improvising on your guitar parts and have some serious fun.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.