When to move on to next lesson

Kingstonontario
Kingstonontario
07/06/2020 10:42 pm

I am also taking the lessons with Lisa. Currently we just wrapped up the five chord power pack. I know the five chords and am having no issue making these chords (one at at time and slowly). As we wrapped up she commented that now we know the chords in the five chord power pack and play them in rhytm......Well I am struggling big time making chord changes fast enough to sounds decent.

My question is do I continue moving forward and the chord changes will come in time, or do I now stop moving on to the next lesson, which is new chords, until I have these chord changes smoothly? I have been playing the songs in the five chord power pack but rythm is majorly lacking. advice????????

Thanks

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
07/07/2020 1:17 am

Hi Kingstonontario,

If you feel like it's going to take some time to increase the speed of your chord changes, you can also work on some other things in the meantime -- such as basic scales and finger exercises. Eventually your speed will increase. Learning / developing is sort of a spiral, or like climbing a mountain -- you might not go straight up, sometimes you circle around and will be higher each time.

Don't let yourself feel stuck and that you're not allowed to learn anything else if you can't switch those chords really quickly. Keep working on them, but feel free to try some other things, too. Everything you learn will contribute overall to your playing skill. Everyone has a little bit different of a growth path.

EDIT -- to get rhythm going, just take TWO simplified chords and switch between them on slow strums at a VERY slow tempo. It doesn't matter how slow, as long as it's STEADY. Even if it's one strum every 5 or 10 seconds! :) A metronome can help with that. But don't try to switch between all 5. Just two at a time. Break it down to the most basic movement and just repeat for a long time before ever increasing the speed.

(This is also assuming you can keep a steady rhythm on just one chord and simple strums.)

Then, once you feel you can keep a steady, very slow rhythm with just two simple chords, you can do one of these:

1. Change one of the chords to another chord. But still only do two chords.

2. Keep the chords the same but increase the tempo a little bit while still keeping it steady. If it starts to get unsteady, slow it back down.

3. Change both of the chords.

4. A mixture of all those.

Eventually, add a third chord to the group. This is all just training your fingers and brain to do them automatically, and the best way is to go slow and steady.

Slow and steady.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
Kingstonontario
Kingstonontario
07/07/2020 1:45 pm

I appreciate the advice. Most of the five Chords I can move between with the odd error but it is mainly G to C that is killing me. I will do what you said and continue to move forward while taking the time between to do the slow two chord transitions. Good to know I am still on point. Thank you

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.