5 chord power pack

matt88townsend
matt88townsend
06/12/2020 10:20 pm

I am currently stuck on A minor to E minor song cross the line i can switch between chords pretty good now (at 100 using metronome)

but i cant keep up with lisa because the plucking of the first string when switching from Em to Am is throwing me off is it ok to move on to the next lesson since i can switch chords or should i wait until i can play along with lisa

# 1
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/13/2020 9:38 am

Hi Matt,

I think if you wait until you are able to play the song perfectly before you go to the next lesson you'll end up getting too frustrated. It's perfectly fine to move on. The important thing is that you've got the hang of switching between Am and Em.

I have to admit, that strumming pattern for hitting the bass string on beat 1/3 and the full chord on 2/4 messes me up too! I can do it just playing the whole chord on all four beats, but I can't keep up at 122 bpm. Seems like it should be a pretty easy song, right? Only two chords with no weird finger stretches or anything.

Good luck, keep moving, and make sure you enjoy the journey along the way!

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 2
djberry1972
Full Access
djberry1972
Full Access
06/13/2020 1:52 pm

I don't agree. Learn the chord. Just because I can't play these songs with 100 percent accuracy doesn't mean I can't learn to play the guitar. I can't do it either. Sometimes the singing throws me off or sometimes it's just because it seems to fast for me. I'm sure If I keep at these 3 songs for months, I'll get it but I guarantee I'll be sick of the course by then. I just keep trying to play the 3 chords and not always with "that song". Learn the chord, that's whats important.

# 3
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/13/2020 3:32 pm
Originally Posted by: djberry1972

I don't agree. Learn the chord. Just because I can't play these songs with 100 percent accuracy doesn't mean I can't learn to play the guitar. I can't do it either. Sometimes the singing throws me off or sometimes it's just because it seems to fast for me. I'm sure If I keep at these 3 songs for months, I'll get it but I guarantee I'll be sick of the course by then. I just keep trying to play the 3 chords and not always with "that song". Learn the chord, that's whats important.

I think you and I said the same thing - don't stay on the lesson until you've mastered the song - move to the next lesson when you've learned the chords reasonably well.

Not sure if you were saying you don't agree with what I said or with something Matt said, but you and I agree 100%.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 4
matt88townsend
matt88townsend
06/14/2020 12:02 am

thank you both so much on to the next lesson

# 5
craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
06/22/2020 8:58 pm

Am I the only one who finds the measures in Cross the Line a little weird. They seem to be two strums per cord in each measure (ie two Am cords equals four strums) and then wheh Lisa starts singing it goes to one strum per cord in each measure. I can play the song fine if I'm just doing it from memory but reading it from the tablature throws me a bit. Am I missing something?

# 6
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
06/22/2020 9:12 pm
Originally Posted by: craigbrown1805

Am I the only one who finds the measures in Cross the Line a little weird. They seem to be two strums per cord in each measure (ie two Am cords equals four strums) and then wheh Lisa starts singing it goes to one strum per cord in each measure. I can play the song fine if I'm just doing it from memory but reading it from the tablature throws me a bit. Am I missing something?

Hey Craig -- I looked into this to make sure the notation lines up with the playing. All seems correct.

Just to be sure, are you following the repeat signs? This could trip someone up if they're not used to it. Aside from that, it is a little bit of an unusual form, as Lisa mentions.

If that doesn't help, let me know.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 7
craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
06/22/2020 9:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Hey Craig -- I looked into this to make sure the notation lines up with the playing. All seems correct.

Just to be sure, are you following the repeat signs? This could trip someone up if they're not used to it. Aside from that, it is a little bit of an unusual form, as Lisa mentions.

If that doesn't help, let me know.

-Carl.

Aha! That's exactly what I missed. None so blind than those who will not see. Thank you!

# 8
Carl King
Carl King
06/22/2020 9:25 pm

I made a quick video following the notes / counting with my mouse. Let me know if this helps. I'm guessing those repeats are throwing you off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_82BaEwUU4

-Carl.

# 9
Carl King
Carl King
06/22/2020 9:26 pm

Ah, very good!

-Carl.

# 10
craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
06/22/2020 11:24 pm

The moment I realised what I was missing it all fell into place and I could play through without a hitch. I'll pay closer attention to the notation in future. Cheers

# 11
Carl King
Carl King
06/23/2020 2:53 am

The moment I realised what I was missing it all fell into place and I could play through without a hitch. I'll pay closer attention to the notation in future. Cheers

Glad it got worked out!

-Carl.

# 12
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
06/23/2020 4:03 pm

I am well past the point of learning my third chord. However extended practice has become ever more important to my development as a musician. My experience, especially when including singing, is that to get a song performance practiced enough, I have to play it for a long time (weeks, months, and even years). Instead of getting sick of the song, I find that extended experience to be where my skills really get honed. I know this could seem difficult to understand when you are just leaning to play your first song with three diffrent chords. But in the long run, this extended practice work on these old songs, is the way to keep them fresh and powerful. But as you grow as a guitarist, your relationship with practice should evolve to become ever more interesting, not the other way around.

In fact this extended work is something that I find exillerating in the extreme, because the song keep growing better and better. I keep polishing the chops and they keep evolving into increasingly musical forms as my skill grows. In fact I have songs that I have worked on for years, and they keep evolving and improving. They don't sound anything like the sketchy songs that I started with. I find great joy in this development process and it is a good part of what keeps me playing guitar....

I always thought...that is the idea

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 13
jgarrow.jg
jgarrow.jg
06/24/2020 5:00 am

That's exactly what I do. Try to play the song. Then play the chords over and over until I feel like I can try the song again.

# 14
musicalinstru2018
musicalinstru2018
06/26/2020 1:15 pm

Hey matt,

I am glad that you are still trying to improve. thats a good thing. here is the quick tip:

you try shadow practice. it will keep your brain focused better.

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.