Beyond Guitar Fundamentals 2

AndrewTanner
AndrewTanner
05/20/2020 7:35 am

Hi all,

I'm a player of 16 years (predominantly electric) so while guitar is not new to me, learning it properly is. I went right back to basics with GF1 and picked up some theory with GF1 and GF2. I know that I should spend time practicing what I have learned (major and minor chords, major key progressions, major and minor scales, 7th dominant, sus2 and sus4 chords) before I move onto the next course I want to focus on, Blues.

My question is though is how much time should I really spend on major/minor scales? I do understand the importance of the fundamentals of them, but practically I wonder if I'm better moving to the Blues course sooner rather than later as opposed to noodling around in the major and minor keys? I'm not saying I would never practise the major and minor areas but they themselves strike me as building blocks for more specific styles which seems to be the more practical, guitar driven, approach.

I spent yesterday evening putting myself together a learning plan so I can have some proper structure. It's a mixture of practicing scales, chord progressions, taking lessons on this site and also improving techniques and accuracy.

Any input much appreciated!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2020 1:43 pm

Congrats on working through GF 1 & 2. Thanks for the background info. That helps a great deal.

Originally Posted by: AndrewTannerMy question is though is how much time should I really spend on major/minor scales?[/quote]

I encourage you to dive right into Blues 1 & 2, while making time to work on those basic scales. If you already have years of practical playing experience, then you are probably already beyond the purpose of scales for beginner stages.

At the beginner stage a student is just starting to learn:

1. The physical motions required to play single string melodies.

2. The sound & intervals of the scales as the building blocks of music; essentially aural or ear training.

So if you already have those somewhat under your command, then you are doing fine to just make scale practice a small part of your regular practice routine. Otherwise, I'd encouage you to work on them much more. The reason is that one you get into blues, you will find yourself getting frustrated if you are unable to keep up with the single note lead lines & licks taught in blues.

Anders will incorporate the theory you need, when you need it in the context of the course.

[quote=AndrewTanner]I spent yesterday evening putting myself together a learning plan so I can have some proper structure. It's a mixture of practicing scales, chord progressions, taking lessons on this site and also improving techniques and accuracy.

Excellent! Sounds like you are prepared & motivated. :) Good for you!

I have 2 other items of advice.

1. Start learning songs. Blues songs if that's what you like. You don't have to learn every last lick of a song, especially if it's beyond your skills right now. But learn the basic structure of the song & a simplified version of the chords at your level. Go back later & refine it or add more complex layers once you grain those skills.

2. Look at my collection on basic blues licks. These are the foundation licks that are found in the vast majority of blues guitar playing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/Bread-and-Butter-Butter-Blues-Licks

Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
AndrewTanner
AndrewTanner
05/20/2020 9:57 pm

Thank you very much for your reply Christopher!

I do feel like I have a reasonable grasp and intuition of scale patterns so it's encouraging to hear I should just get started with Blues 1. It feels like that is where the musicality will come more into things as opposed to 'just' the major and minor scale (though I do appreciate they are the basis for pretty much everything).

I'll definitely check out the links you provided - it's good to have some direction as it can be quite overwhelming to know where to turn when you sort of have the skills but want to focus on the theory.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/21/2020 11:07 am

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: AndrewTanner

I'll definitely check out the links you provided - it's good to have some direction as it can be quite overwhelming to know where to turn when you sort of have the skills but want to focus on the theory.

Good deal! And there is plenty more where those came from. Please ask more as necessary & best of success with the Blues courses!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
mathieurevel
mathieurevel
06/29/2020 10:12 am

I m jumping on this thread to ask you christopher as I m almost done with the Fundamentals 2 if it s advised to stick to one style of music at a time or it s not an issue to lear 2. In my case, I love blues, funk/soul and jazz.

Honestly i dont know which one I prefer, i want to learn those 3 (maybe funk/soul behind blues and jazz)

Any advice ?

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/29/2020 11:06 am
Originally Posted by: mathieurevel

I m jumping on this thread to ask you christopher as I m almost done with the Fundamentals 2 if it s advised to stick to one style of music at a time or it s not an issue to lear 2. In my case, I love blues, funk/soul and jazz.

[p]Yes, it is advisable to stick with one style for a good length of time. It's very difficult to make progress if you are jumping around too much. Learning blues & especially jazz takes a lot of dedicated focus.

I encourage you to start with blues because it's more basic. And it will give you the skills & knowledge you will need as a good foundation when you start on jazz & soul.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
mathieurevel
mathieurevel
06/29/2020 11:27 pm

great ! thanks will do :)

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/30/2020 11:26 am
Originally Posted by: mathieurevel

great ! thanks will do :)

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
Dominik88
Dominik88
01/13/2021 6:31 pm

Hi Christopher, how's going on? I just completed the Guitar Fundamental 1 and 2. I'd really like learn to play rock (especially hard rock) and blues style. Considering by most of rock music comes from blues, do you recommend to follow blues course at first or rock course straight away? I sincerely want to thank you and all the others istructors for the great work you do for us aspiring guitar players.

Kind regards

Domenico

# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2021 7:34 pm

Congrats on finishing GF 1 & 2!

Originally Posted by: Dominik88I'd really like learn to play rock (especially hard rock) and blues style. Considering by most of rock music comes from blues, do you recommend to follow blues course at first or rock course straight away?

It depends on your goals & how much time you have. Which one do you really want to do more? Pick that one to stay motivated. The other one will always be there when you are ready for it.

It's usually best to focus on one style long enough to really give your hands, ears & mind time to automate the skills & ideas.

But if you have a lot of free time to watch the lessons & practice the content, then you could try to do both at the same time!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
Dominik88
Dominik88
01/13/2021 8:17 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Congrats on finishing GF 1 & 2!

Originally Posted by: Dominik88I'd really like learn to play rock (especially hard rock) and blues style. Considering by most of rock music comes from blues, do you recommend to follow blues course at first or rock course straight away?

It depends on your goals & how much time you have. Which one do you really want to do more? Pick that one to stay motivated. The other one will always be there when you are ready for it.

It's usually best to focus on one style long enough to really give your hands, ears & mind time to automate the skills & ideas.

But if you have a lot of free time to watch the lessons & practice the content, then you could try to do both at the same time!

Hope this helps!

Super helpful. Many thanks Chris, have a good day.

# 11
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/14/2021 12:33 pm
Originally Posted by: Dominik88

Super helpful. Many thanks Chris, have a good day.

You're welcome! Same to you!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.