F for Frustration

vanrooy.gert
vanrooy.gert
04/22/2020 5:51 pm

I have been trying to form the f chord for the past 4 weeks now. And still 3 out of 4 strings are buzzing or are totally muted. My hands are rather small. That definitely is a worry. Sometimes I get the chord to ring out cleanly, but that's when I use my right hand to force my left hand in place and hold it there . I convinced myself somehow that in time this will solve itself, but then, I would still be lightyears away from actually forming f within a song, switching from any other chord into f...

Any tips? Because I'm worried for when the reall barre chords appear.

# 1
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
04/22/2020 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: vanrooy.gert

I have been trying to form the f chord for the past 4 weeks now. And still 3 out of 4 strings are buzzing or are totally muted. My hands are rather small. That definitely is a worry. Sometimes I get the chord to ring out cleanly, but that's when I use my right hand to force my left hand in place and hold it there . I convinced myself somehow that in time this will solve itself, but then, I would still be lightyears away from actually forming f within a song, switching from any other chord into f...

Any tips? Because I'm worried for when the reall barre chords appear.

Just a thought I had....

If you`re playing acoustic, perhaps the profile of the strings or the "action" could be adjusted to make things a bit easier for you. That chord is a bear !

# 2
Captain_Crunch
Captain_Crunch
04/22/2020 10:11 pm

Hello Gert!

Just my 2 cents:[br][br]This is my first formal course (before, I learnt through friends and youtube), so do not take my word over teachers' but:

I was taught to play F and B chords directly using barres (and even powerchords by the way). And I find it horribly complicated to play the F chord without a barre. To the point where I may skip playing the non barre way (I may be handicapping myself in some circunstance in the future by doing this).

So don't despair for the barre chords.

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/22/2020 10:43 pm

I second the barre chord version of F. It still isn't perfect but I can actually hit it more times than the open version. Plus it sounds better and if you need to make a G chord right after just move up two frets. Believe it or not barre chords will make your guitar playing easier once you can learn them so don't give up on them. Of course it is much harder on acoustic especially as you work up the neck. Keep at it. [br][br]

Moe

# 4
Wolfman74
Wolfman74
04/23/2020 3:46 am

I had a lot of trouble with the full barre chord version of F. What I did was start learning songs that incorporate the F major chord, Bob Dylan’s All Along the Watchtower and the easy version of Imagine.

As part of my practice routine I play these songs everyday to both learn changing between the F chord and other chords along with strumming.

# 5
vanrooy.gert
vanrooy.gert
04/23/2020 11:02 am

Thanks everyone for good tips. I think in the end the action is definitely a bigger worry than the size of my hands. I wonder to solve this f problem and barre chords in general, it would be tons easier to play on an electric guitar?

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/23/2020 1:36 pm
Originally Posted by: vanrooy.gertI have been trying to form the f chord for the past 4 weeks now.

Sorry for your frustration! Here are a couple of options for working on the F chord.

First just try this triad. This is enough to get the sound of the chord because it contains all the notes you need. For now just do that when you need to practice an F chord in time.

|-----------------------|

|--1--(C)-------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

At a different practice session try working on the upper part. Again this is enough to create a full F chord because it has all the notes you need, just a different voicing!

|--1--(F)------------|[br]|--1--(C)------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Eventually you can work on putting them together after you get a handle on those two different "pieces" of the traditional F chord voicing.

Also, electric guitars do typically have lower action & smaller neck profiles. So, I encourage you to try a friend's guitar, or go to your local music shop & try some guitars. that's the best & quickest way to find out what kind, model or size guitar is best for you!

Hope this helps! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
04/23/2020 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: vanrooy.gert

I have been trying to form the f chord for the past 4 weeks now. And still 3 out of 4 strings are buzzing or are totally muted. My hands are rather small. That definitely is a worry. Sometimes I get the chord to ring out cleanly, but that's when I use my right hand to force my left hand in place and hold it there It took me months, many months. But also know that it will come; it just takes time.

Keep in mind that you are working on the most difficult barre chord there is to form. It is the most difficult in terms or powsition on the neck. (I find the F7 more difficult than the F major, but that is the same location.)

As you move up the neck the things get progressively easier. The G barre is easier to play than the F. And the A barre chord is even easier. So you may find it somewhat rewarding to practice those instead of just the F all the time. Those will also build your finger strength necessary to play barre chords but perhaps slightly less frustratingly

Also do as Wolfman suggested. Make it fun. Find some songs that you like with those barre chords and learn them.

And, yes, an electric is easier. Would I buy an electric (if I don't have one) just to make learning barre chords easier? No. But if you are going to also play electric down the road and it's timely to purchase one, why not?!?!

I learned on electric and I, coincidentally, have gone back and am reworking barre chords on my acoustic. Very timely, as I just started this a couple weeks ago.

good luck to you. the barre chords will come.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 8
nick.baddeley
nick.baddeley
04/23/2020 3:20 pm

I also struggled with F Major, and found a way that works for me.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=46&t=53549

What I also found is that when I struggle with something, then finally get it right, I then look forward to playing it - open G maj to F maj was a problem and appears in one of my favourite songs. Now I love playing it because I am pleased with myself for finally nailing it!

# 9
vanrooy.gert
vanrooy.gert
04/23/2020 6:09 pm

thanks a lot Christopher! i will definitely try that! and all the rest thx for encouraging words ;)

Edit on May 2nd: someone mentioned somewhere to point the thumb towards the headstock. That turned out to be the holy grail! 👍 But it also means my 2nd and 3rd finger are being pulled in the same direction and now leaning down hard. Not sure this is ideal.

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.