View post (F for Frustration)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
04/23/2020 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: vanrooy.gert

I have been trying to form the f chord for the past 4 weeks now. And still 3 out of 4 strings are buzzing or are totally muted. My hands are rather small. That definitely is a worry. Sometimes I get the chord to ring out cleanly, but that's when I use my right hand to force my left hand in place and hold it there It took me months, many months. But also know that it will come; it just takes time.

Keep in mind that you are working on the most difficult barre chord there is to form. It is the most difficult in terms or powsition on the neck. (I find the F7 more difficult than the F major, but that is the same location.)

As you move up the neck the things get progressively easier. The G barre is easier to play than the F. And the A barre chord is even easier. So you may find it somewhat rewarding to practice those instead of just the F all the time. Those will also build your finger strength necessary to play barre chords but perhaps slightly less frustratingly

Also do as Wolfman suggested. Make it fun. Find some songs that you like with those barre chords and learn them.

And, yes, an electric is easier. Would I buy an electric (if I don't have one) just to make learning barre chords easier? No. But if you are going to also play electric down the road and it's timely to purchase one, why not?!?!

I learned on electric and I, coincidentally, have gone back and am reworking barre chords on my acoustic. Very timely, as I just started this a couple weeks ago.

good luck to you. the barre chords will come.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45